Will there ever be a W7 SP2 or Update Rollup?

j3schmidt

Windows 7 Service Pack 2  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Microsoft will issue another Service Pack for Windows 7?

• Sure -- it hasn't reached end-of-life yet
    • Not an official SP, but there might be a rollup like with Windows 2000
    • Why? 7 was already Vista SP3
    • Don't care -- I'm still running (insert your choice of old OS here)

I just had me a search for "Windows 7 SP2" and it doesn't look like there will be one as Microsoft gets ready to pull a Mitt Romney and commit professional felo-de-se improve :puke: Windows as we know it with the new and improved Windows 8, Codename "2012: Epic Fail." W8 looks like a tablet OS for 3-year-olds (which is what most tablet OSes look like anyway) and W7 (which a lot of people, myself included, consider the "new and improved" Vista SP3) seems to be getting the bum's rush as W8 gets ready for its big premiere in 2013. (Rumor has it Roland Emmerich is scheduled to direct.) :thumbdown

Or am I wrong and is MS going to give W7 a final goodbye with a "surprise" SP2 or a "rollup" (unofficial service pack) like it did with Win2K?

Certainly it will depend on how Windows 8 and Metro is received. If it becomes Vistro then there may be SP2, Sp3 and Sp4 at a minimum. But if it defies all logic and and is well-received there might not be any, but I think the odds are still with a definite SP2. There are a lot of users out there ...

Windows 7 Overtakes Windows XP as Leading OS ( Tom's Hardware 2012-10-01 )

Here is the image from the site ...

Windows%207%20market%20share%20September%202012.png

If the numbers are true and Win7 is actually rising, well that is a whole lot of users to abandon. And while Microsoft is prone to making major mistakes lately, that one would really take the cake. If they ever come to their senses, they would do an SP4 final roll-up for WinXP and plan on SP2 through SP6 for Win7. And while they're at it, demote Metro to a windowed MCE-like add-in for any version of Windows. I'm not holding my breath though. They seem intent on jerking the wheel and steering the company right into oncoming traffic.