Cannot reinstall Microsoft Security Essentials in Windows 7 (0x8007064

tg342

Hi. I've been having problems with MSE recently and I decided to reinstall it but I've come into a couple of problems; first, I couldn't seem to uninstall the program, instead resorting to a brute force method to remove it, secondly I keep getting the error (0x80070645) whenever I try to install. I don't know how I can get it to produce a log but I don't know what's happening that's causing this error to happen. I checked to see if the update key was there to remove but no luck, I cleaned up and reinstalled various .NET frameworks. I even ran sfc /scannow but there is nothing wrong. I don't know what else to do besides reformatting (which I really don't want to to.) and everything I tried just places me at a brick wall; what am I supposed to do?

Also of note, I can't seem to remove .NET Framework 3.5 from my computer to instal it via Add/Remove programs, it always seems to fail at 98% reverting all of the changes it has done. Again, I have cleaned up the install, I have ran ComboFix, I ran sfc /scan now but nothing seems to work, any suggestions?

processing the config files fails:

ProcessConfigFile: Processing web_mediumtrust.config. CurrentTask 1.

SelectSingleNode szXPath=mscorlib/security/policy/PolicyLevel/SecurityClasses/SecurityClass[@Name='ReflectionPermission']

SelectSingleNode pConfigRoot->selectSingleNode succeeded. XPath:mscorlib/security/policy/PolicyLevel/SecurityClasses/SecurityClass[@Name='ReflectionPermission'].

SelectSingleNode szXPath=mscorlib/security/policy/PolicyLevel/NamedPermissionSets/PermissionSet[@Name='ASP.Net']/IPermission[@class='ReflectionPermission']

SelectSingleNode pConfigRoot->selectSingleNode succeeded. XPath:mscorlib/security/policy/PolicyLevel/NamedPermissionSets/PermissionSet[@Name='ASP.Net']/IPermission[@class='ReflectionPermission'].

ProcessConfigFile: Processing web_hightrust.config. CurrentTask 2.

SelectSingleNode szXPath=mscorlib/security/policy/PolicyLevel/NamedPermissionSets/PermissionSet[@Name='ASP.Net']/IPermission[@class='ReflectionPermission' and @version='1' and @Flags='ReflectionEmit']

SelectSingleNode pConfigRoot->selectSingleNode did not find a matching node. XPath:mscorlib/security/policy/PolicyLevel/NamedPermissionSets/PermissionSet[@Name='ASP.Net']/IPermission[@class='ReflectionPermission' and @version='1' and @Flags='ReflectionEmit']. Error code: 0x1

Final error code: 0x1

2012-10-03 07:59:33, Error CBS Exec: An error occurred while committing the transaction, the transaction could not be rolled back. [HRESULT = 0x80070643 - ERROR_INSTALL_FAILURE]

Have you modified the permissions of the .net folder?

Have you modified the permissions of the .net folder?

I don't know, I don't even know where the .net folder is.

I did what you suggested and I still get the error message, even after deleting all of the registry files; is there anything else I can do?

• 1 month later...

Sorry if it's been over a month but I did the permissions thing and the thing wouldn't uninstall so I did another option which involved deleting the entire .NET folder but somehow it broke mcupdate.exe (after Windows Media Center failed as a whole) despite the fact that I was able to install MSE successfully for the first time in months. I don't know what exactly is causing this but I do find it odd because this is supposed to be a separate component from Windows and yet after getting replaced by the same files, it somehow breaks...

Maybe I need to uninstall WMC first, any suggestions? It did work but I don't know how to get both MSE and now WMC working at the same time.

EDIT: Reverted back to previous system restore before I deleted the files, somehow it installed fine. Maybe the permission thing worked after all. Weird... Don't know what happened but I'm lucky to have both of them working at the same time.

What an odd evening.

Edited by tg342