UAC Ultra Annoyance

dubsdj

Hi there

On my network I have a couple of legacy applications (Dreamweaver MX 2004) being one of them.

Anyway, when limited users log into the PC's on the domain they are unable to run this software because the UAC prompt will pop up and ask for an administrator password!

I have tried using a scheduled task work around, however it won't run when you have selected in the scheduled task run whether the user is logged in or not... highest privalages. So this doesn't solve the problem as when the limited user is logged in they cannot run the scheduled task, it just won't open at all.

I have tried granting full access permissions to the task in the windows\system32\tasks folder.... nope that doesn't work either!

So I then tried creating the shortcut: C:\Windows\System32\runas.exe /user:%computername%\Administrator /savecred "C:\Legacy Applications\Macromedia Studio MX 2004\Dreamweaver MX 2004\Dreamweaver.exe"

this works but any users who tries to use the software I have to manually go to their computer and type the local admin password in 1st time... Hardly a solution but sort of a workaround..

I cannot disable UAC because Windows 8 relies heavily on it for its app store.

So it appears there is actually no solution to this... It would be nice if there was a group policy that said allow certain applications bypass UAC? I can't believe that it can't be done.

has anybody else hit a brick wall with this?

thanks

The simplest solution is to run a Windows XP VM.

Or give the users Administrator powers ..... :w00t:

Only seemingly UNrelated:

Out of curiosity, wouldn't an additional XP license be needed for the VM? :unsure:

jaclaz

yes you need your old XP licenses.

IF there was one (and was not an OEM one).

Another thing I am curious about is how/why someone (apparently on a corporate network) is using Windows 8 before it's release date :unsure:

I mean, I guess there will be lot of troubles for the IT guys when Windows 8 will become common, but actually using a pre-release version?

Isn't it "calling for troubles"? :w00t:

jaclaz

Because I'm Able to download it from Microsoft MCP area.

And why not test it?.. I would like to find out all the problems and try and work them out before its release!

And to be honest, from what I've seen I won't be doing anything with it in a hurry.. I cannot see (ANY) benefits over Windows 7 on a corporate network at all..

So the good thing that came out of this is that I can warn anybody else that they are in for a pretty big headache with things like UAC and Active Desktop.... :)

Edited by dubsdj

Because I'm Able to download it from Microsoft MCP area.

And why not test it?.. I would like to find out all the problems and try and work them out before its release!

And to be honest, from what I've seen I won't be doing anything with it in a hurry.. I cannot see (ANY) benefits over Windows 7 on a corporate network at all..

So the good thing that came out of this is that I can warn anybody else that they are in for a pretty big headache with things like UAC and Active Desktop.... :)

Yes :), but the bad idea is providing senseless metrics to help pumping up the success of Windows 8 :w00t::

Seriously, it's nice to know yet another reason to remain clung to XP or 7 :thumbup .

jaclaz

While some of the suggestions here will work, they're a bit heavy and not really as manageable. You can consider using the AppCompat toolkit to shim an application that wants admin rights, and you can use tools like LUA BugLight to figure out what an app is doing that causes the UAC prompt as well.

Decided to just my Citrix Xen Desktop system which has 2 OS's available, XP , 7

user just needs to browse to our citrix website and login that way, quick easy and is a solution to the problem.

:)

Edited by dubsdj