Need help: How to copy a file from server to clients?

Aloha

I'll try to explain the situation as clear as I can by this simple example.

There are computers A, B, C, D... connected to one another through a workgroup.

Computer A is the server. It has both server 2003 and XP.

The others (B, C, D...) are the clients and have XP installed on them.

Now I am working on computer A and want to copy (or transfer) a file from A to B, C, D...

What is the command line to do this copying?

I am asking this for my sister, who is not very good at English! Hope someone can help. Many thanks in advance.

Edit: spelling

Edited by Aloha

I guess the best person to answer that is the Network Administrator if any.

I mean the question is so basic, I guess it's not "her" network. Is it home, at work, at school ? There are more info she needs.

The files to be copied need to be in a "share", this means the directory's properties (or a parent directory) has to be modified such that it can be seen from an other computer on the network. She also needs shares on all target computers. She needs to know the names of the computers. The firewalls on each computers need to allow traffic.

She needs an account(&password) that is recognized on each computer and which has sufficient rights to read the source share and files and to write to the target shares. I believe the command line is then the standard; "copy \\server_name\share_name\sub_dirs_names\file_name \\target_name\share_name\subdir\".

Using a browser as graphic user interface could do it as well.

+What you call "the server" is either running Windows Server 2003 or XP, not both.

Edited by Ponch

Sorry, I posted the above at the same time you edited your post. I'll give you some more information.

She is the network administrator. This network is at school. She just doesn't know how to do this copying at her wish! There is a tool she can use to do this but she has to do it one by one. I mean if there is 50 computer clients she has to copy it 50 times!

She hopes there is a command that can be used to copy the file to all clients at once. Is the one you gave above a Command Prompt? And can she use it to copy a file from the server to many clients at the same time? I mean she doesn't have to type it to copy a file from A to B, then type it again to copy from A to C, and so on...

Thanks a lot for your help.

Edit: it's terrible that I made so many mistakes in my writing!!! Have to edit it 3 times in a row!

Edited by Aloha

More or less the question is about multi-copy.

I.e. the idea is to copy the same source on several targets.

If there is no need for "synchronous" operation simpler would be, once determined the command line needed to copy to a single target write a small batch repeating the same line with the other 49 targets.

Or maybe something like multicast may be of use:

http://www.udpcast.linux.lu/

http://www.theurbanpenguin.com/win7/win7udpcast.html

http://www.tcnj.edu/~bush/uftp.html

jaclaz

Jaclaz,

Many thanks for those links. I'll send them to her now. Perhaps it will take a lot of time for her to get through them all!

Thank you both again for all the help. Much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest alex298

Hello,

I was an network administrator about 10 years ago. I wrote a very simple program that can save files and backup files to other workstations. I suggest you to write one if you have to do this task often. I remembered that this program is very simple.

Best regards

Alex

• 5 months later...

I almost forget about this thread!

Hi Alex,

I'm afraid I can't follow your advice. I'm not that good at progamming or coding! I asked this for my sister only. Thanks anyway for your kind reply.

PS. I don't know that a guest can post on the forum.