Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

Only when you run configurator. I may introduce checking in explorer as well, but i don't like obtrusive notifications (nobody does). Do you have an idea how to notify about new version if configurator is not running?
Use a scheduled task?

Only when you run configurator. I may introduce checking in explorer as well, but i don't like obtrusive notifications (nobody does). Do you have an idea how to notify about new version if configurator is not running?
Use a scheduled task?

no matter how to notify,I do not like any more extra services and processes running

Maybe ,the now notification is enough , Updating is not a usual feature

Edited by itoy

对我个人而言,每次运行cfg.exe时检查有无新版本已经足够了

实在没有必要弄一个让人讨厌的大的提醒,而且这样也需要额外的进程和服务,实在是没必要

最好的就是维持现状

For me personally, the check for a new version of each run cfg.exe enough

It is not necessary to get a big reminder annoying, and so also require additional processes and services, it is not necessary

The best is to maintain the status quo

Edited by Tripredacus
MSFN is English only. Use Translator.

Yes, but once you configure SiB, how often will a person re-visit the configuration program? I would find it annoying to have to visit the configuration program (or visit the website or here) to find out if there's a new version if I wasn't actively interested in keeping up to date on any further development/testing, which I am interested of course.

In my case, my solution would be a third-party program I already use a lot to automatically check websites for changes of content. An option which can always be changed to email or not to email when new (at least major, not RC or Beta or you could configure what level of notifications if Tihiy is inclined) versions come out. It would be at about as simple as the already implemented version check, and it could be opted out at any time for those who only want to know when they feel like it. I've always been a new version hound for all programs, OSes (beginning with ProDOS for Apple in my case), although always tempered enough to keep back-ups of at least one version behind just in case.

I wouldn't lose any sleep if Tihiy doesn't want to bother changing the current method or implementing anything new regarding it, however. I've always believed in the most gain for the least amount of work. The best bang for the buck.

Just one more option would be to give the Cfg program command line options, and implement a check box with or without options (frequency, again if Tihiy wants to make that configurable) which would create a scheduled task using said command lines to check for product updates, and would notify via a dialog if so. Again, should be fairly simple to implement, people who don't want anything running that doesn't have to can leave it unchecked (I motion that it be defaulted to not check/notify on a scheduled task). Not sure if it was this thread someone already mentioned scheduled tasks for something.

or

if it's too hard or unelegant to schedule/unschedule on the fly after hitting checkbox and OK, then create the task at product installation, but disable it by default. Then if the checkbox is hit and after OK, then re-enable the task. Either is just as good IMHO.

I'm done on this particular subject, I don't want to beat it to death like what happened with the activation issue. :D

Edit: Added info I forgot to.

Edited by roirraW "edor" ehT

You could have SiB exist as a tray icon that is normally hidden. If an update is available, have change its icon and make it not hidden anymore. Similar to MSSE if your definitions are out of date, it will turn orange and become unhidden. If an update is available, in addition to the color change, your tray icon could use a tooltip notification at OS boot.

You could have SiB exist as a tray icon that is normally hidden. If an update is available, have change its icon and make it not hidden anymore. Similar to MSSE if your definitions are out of date, it will turn orange and become unhidden. If an update is available, in addition to the color change, your tray icon could use a tooltip notification at OS boot.

I have to disagree; I don't like a tray icon idea. I'm very anal about what I like and not like in the system tray/notification area, although of course I just hide the ones I don't want to see normally. But a tray icon for a purpose as simple as this is overkill IMHO. I'm not against a scheduled task or email, but tray icons already get over-implemented sometimes (kinda like Adobe always wanting to put it's icons on the Desktop on installation).

Edited by roirraW "edor" ehT

How about (perhaps in addition to the already present notification when StartIsBackCfg is run, just emailing all registered users about new versions?

I would just have it check each time the config app is run. My guess is it's only quickly checking a URL. Other people also add a manual check but if it checks each time that wouldn't be needed.

I use wyUpdate myself. It's free and once you get it all setup it totally rocks. You can pay for the GUI (wyBuild) but it's not needed.

Not sure why people are freaking out about popup notifications....no one ever mentioned that. Tihiy made it perfectly clear that would never happen.

But yeah, an email wouldn't hurt. It's just that peoples hatred for spam is so strong it even extends to things that matter to them! :lol:

Also, the tray icon wouldn't work. If people have those hidden to begin with then they would never see it even after it became unhidden.

Today I downloaded StartIsBack v.1.1; however both Win8's Internet Explorer 10 flagged it as potentially unsafe, and Norton Internet Security 2013 (v.20.2.0.19) flagged it as an unknown, a possible risk, "Threat: WS.Reputation.1", and automatically removed it.

Now I am assuming it is in reality 'safe'; but Microsoft and Semantic needs to be notified of same (of the {assumed} false positive), as it could put users off of trying it and having anything more to do with it.

regards,

Laurence

Today I downloaded StartIsBack v.1.1; however both Win8's Internet Explorer 10 flagged it as potentially unsafe, and Norton Internet Security 2013 (v.20.2.0.19) flagged it as an unknown, a possible risk, "Threat: WS.Reputation.1", and automatically removed it.

Now I am assuming it is in reality 'safe'; but Microsoft and Semantic needs to be notified of same (of the {assumed} false positive), as it could put users off of trying it and having anything more to do with it.

regards,

Laurence

I had the same thing happen with Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.2. I had to tell it to let SiB run.

no matter how to notify,I do not like any more extra services and processes running
Task Scheduler is already running on all systems (unless you disabled it manually, but then that's your problem), and it's what eg. Adobe Flash and Chrome use to check for updates.
SmartScreen in IE9 and newer will automatically flag unknown programs as dangerous (a program is unknown if it' wasn't downloaded a certain number of times; for programs that aren't digitally signed each unique version needs to get this many downloads before it's not flagged as unsafe anymore, while for digitally signed programs every download signed with the same certificate counts).

Just for the record, the whole Symantec approach is m00t.

As a matter of fact WS.Reputation.1:

http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2010-051308-1854-99

means more or less (IMHO):

Notwithstanding I am a Symantec product and thus I am Omnisentient and Omniscient, I have never seen this app before, so in order to show the customer I am actually doing something besides filling his/her harddisk with bloat and sensibly slowing down his/her machine I will block this thingy here, waiting for either a sufficient number of customers protesting about this or for the app developer to submit (in the sense of an act of submission before my greatness) the app to be white-listed.

Did I mention how smart I am and how much smart is the "wisdom of the crowd" and how great are the developers that connected me to cloud-based intelligence to compute a reputation score for an application, and in the process identify malicious software in an entirely new way beyond traditional signatures and behavior-based detection techniques?

And get that smile off your face when you are bowing before me!

There is a procedure to submit an app in order to have it white-listed, however:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH132220

though it may take weeks to be processed.... :ph34r:

jaclaz