Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

Not sure whether anyone else has their User Profiles on a drive other than C. Mine is working fine with files under D:\Users\Username\Appdata\Local\StartIsBack.

Also, like the fact that pulling the mouse down from the top of the screen switches to MS App Mode if I really should want it.

Im not sure if this is a bug or by design?

But when you go to "APP" mode you cannot add shortcuts to the "Start Screen"

It would be nice if i can add shortcuts to EXE or Folders To the "Start screen" when in "app mode"

Maby somthing like "Pin to App Screen" when rite clicking on a File or Folder...

Thanx

Guys,

is it possibile to remove the arrows for each application present in start menu? I believe it's the list of the latest files opened with these application, but this slowdown the Start Menu.

I tried to uncheck the Recent Fields but without success...

Thanks

Lucas

Of course it's by design. If you have only modern apps there, you can't pin desktop ones.
is it possibile to remove the arrows for each application present in start menu? I believe it's the list of the latest files opened with these application, but this slowdown the Start Menu.

Go to Taskbar Properties - Jump lists and uncheck 'store and display recently opened items in Jump lists'

One more small error (I believe). Text inputted into the Start Menu's search box is the same color as the "Search programs and files" message string. I believe the text shouldn't be the same color. It should be black, not grey. Old eyes on an old man.

EDIT: Maybe this behavior is now default in Windows 8. Other search boxes also have this behavior. Ugh. MS made icons smaller and text harder to see...

This has been reported before and I guess fix is coming, but you are spot on the search texts are now by default grey in Windows 8:

capturexrd.png

It used to work like that for me too but not anymore. They open normally in the metro search, but not in the start menu. I have no idea what caused it so I don't know how to reproduce it. I have tried rebooting and uninstalling and reinstalling the menu and still it works like this. Other than that it works great so it's only a minor annoyance.

It would be great if you could outline the exact steps to get that bug - this way bugs are located and get fixed. You could create a new user account to try StartIsBack there, and see what's different in it.

Works fine with a new user. I tried killing all the processes that are open in the regular user account but not in the new one, but still does not work. I have no idea what else is different, sorry that I can't be of more help.

Still if you find ways to reproduce that behavior don't hesitate to report, plz.

BUG: I get the following Error window 'The specified program requires a newer version of Windows' message if

1. I try to uninstall StartIsBack

2. I right-click the start button and select Start Menu Properties,

siberror.jpg

Any solution?

I'm running Window 8 Pro with Media Centre. It was loaded from the MSDN DVD (build 9200), activated with a license, then the 'for a limited time only' free media centre bundle license applied and some Windows updates were applied too.

Otherwise am enjoying Start Is Back :)

EDIT: FIXED!! For some reason my \users\<user>\appdata\local\startisback\startisbackcfg file was running in Win7 compatibility mode. Removing that option gets rid of the above error.

Thanks for the edit.

VIRUS! AVG threw up a Cyptor Virus Warning on startisback32.dll -- Is this a false positive or is this thing infected??

It's a false positive, By design StartIsBack works without a single service or an .exe running, and therefore it entirely relies on its .dll files that can't work if they are not linked to in the registry. AVG sniffs registry modification.

My Eset Endpoint with the latest updates detects nothing at all.

Not sure whether anyone else has their User Profiles on a drive other than C. Mine is working fine with files under D:\Users\Username\Appdata\Local\StartIsBack.

Also, like the fact that pulling the mouse down from the top of the screen switches to MS App Mode if I really should want it.

Right, user profiles can be on any drive, not just C. And yes, it's great to have best of both worlds, traditional Start menu and Metro.

Great program!

Where and how to buy license?

/Rojac

The program is currently in beta testing so just stay tuned to the announcements in the first post of this thread.

Of course it's by design. If you have only modern apps there, you can't pin desktop ones.

Go to Taskbar Properties - Jump lists and uncheck 'store and display recently opened items in Jump lists'

Do you think you can add a "Add To Apps Screen" button :

I currently uninstalled all my Apps cause i don't see a use for them

So i only have the desktop APP on the Start screen

With the original Start screen if you install something It goes Thare

Just try to install K-lite Codaks Pack and see 10 desktop apps be added

I would like to have more control

I would like to see apps,shortcuts here that only I put thare

I dont want to Waste The Start screen,by not using it at all

Edit:PS:

Can you add a button to remove the See-true Affect of the Taskbar (or may-by a Ocopasedy slider)

Will ther be Different Skins ?

This is the Best Start button I have Seen On the NET

Thank you

Edited by FireBloodPhoeniX

Version 1.0 Release Candidate

http://www.startisback.com/StartIsBack_setup.exe

RELEASE CANDIDATE CHANGELIST

- Fixed: metro keyboard shortcut may not work first time

- Fixed: start menu stays forced open if opened by drag&drop into start button

- Fixed: some aniviral programs flagging malware in StartIsBack32.dll

- Fixed: start menu could stay up if clicked on orb in some cases

- Fixed: top edge area was unavailable for desktop selection

- Configuration program does not open multiple instances

- New: configure topright and bottomright corners separately

- New: translation support

- New: new version notifications

- New: installation for all users!

- Various minor polish

Edited by Tihiy

Version 1.0 Release Candidate

http://www.startisback.com/StartIsBack_setup.exe

RELEASE CANDIDATE CHANGELIST

- Fixed: metro keyboard shortcut may not work first time

- Fixed: start menu stays forced open if opened by drag&drop into start button

- Fixed: some aniviral programs flagging malware in StartIsBack32.dll

- Fixed: start menu could stay up if clicked on orb in some cases

- Fixed: top edge area was unavailable for desktop selection

- Configuration program does not open multiple instances

- New: configure topright and bottomright corners separately

- New: translation support

- New: new version notifications

- New: installation for all users!

- Various minor polish

Awesome, downloaded and installed. Seems to have resolved the flashing icons bug when running the mouse along the top edge as well.

35 Donators have received license key for StartIsBack. Please check your mail and spam folders, contact me if you have troubles.

StartIsBack license key is verified online and tied to your PC. License key allows limited amount of PCs you can activate. PCs are distinguished by HDD physical serial number your OS is installed to (that's likely gonna change for 1.0 final)

StartIsBack activation does not collect information about your hardware or software nor does it "phone home".

Those who donated $1 have received license key for 1 PC; $5 - 5PCs; $10 - 10PCs, you get it.

Donation offer is no longer in action. You should be able to buy StartIsBack in a few days, if RC testing goes well. Proper website is coming too.

If you have received license key, please help me test all users activation scenario - does activating program installed for all users work.

StartIsBack intended final pricing: $5 for a license key for 5 PCs. $3 for a license key for 2 PCs.

Feel free to comment if it's the right price, but please don't turn this thread into mess.

Edited by Tihiy

Translators required for StartIsBack!

Download and translate this file: http://startisback.com/langs/RU-RU.txt
(sample - Russian translation)
Put translated file alongside StartIsBackCfg.exe to test the translation; name it with your language code (DE-DE.txt, IT-IT.txt, etc.)

Translators will be gifted license keys. Please send me email to make me account you on translation (so i won't assign many guys on same language); don't post here.
Please don't start translating unless you sure you would be a good translator and will be responsible for your translation.

Completed translations: English, Russian, Brazilian Portuguese, European Portuguese, French, Danish, Greek, Italian, Turkish, Spanish, German, Polish, Czech, Croatian, Slovak, Finnish, Korean, Dutch, Norwegian, Serbian, Slovenian, Bangla, Hungarian, Swedish, Simplified Chinese, Indonesian, Bulgarian, Lithuanian
(to be updated)

Edited by Tihiy

I just found out about this app recently and joined the forums because of that, I haven't had the chance to install Windows 8 yet. I don't want to read through 25 pages just to see if this has been answered, so I am asking it anyway, even if it has been asked before.

Can you still use the Windows' login screen if you want to password protect your desktop?

2 days, and no answer....