Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

I created my own installer so I could plug the registry settings into ALL USERS. Here's the problem I'll be running into with Ex7forW8. I've already installed it on over 30 machines. Maybe half of them have it installed for the local admin user and the current domain user. So when I go through and remove it, I have to make sure to unset ALL users per machine otherwise months later when I go to login as the local admin, it'll fail because it can't find the Win7 explorer to load.

By setting the values for all users I can make sure they're unset for all users when/if for whatever reason I need to remove it or change it (like I will be with this new version later on). Maybe the future installer can have a current user/all users option?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

User tile works!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Admin Tools works for me, however, my entire start menu is altered via a reg file. Here's what little code brought it up:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]

"Start_AdminToolsRoot"=dword:00000002

"StartMenuAdminTools"=dword:00000001

Also here's another bit that mentions admin but wasn't need to get it up, might be needed for something else:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]

"Start_AdminToolsTemp"=-

More to come....

Can't seem to get this working just a black desktop and blank taskbar after restart.

Did you make sure to put the files in C:\StartIsBack? Sounds to me like the reg file you imported isn't properly pointing to the files.

Edited by ISOHaven

Can't seem to get this working just a black desktop and blank taskbar after restart.

Have you copied the files to C:\StartIsBack?

INSTALLATION

============

Extract this archive into directory "C:\StartIsBack".

Run INSTALL_X86.reg on x86 Windows version (32-bit)

Run INSTALL_X64.reg on x64 Windows version (64-bit)

How likely is it that they'll be able to patch the exploit that you're using out? For obvious reasons I'll be a bit reluctant to spend money on something that could be screwed by a patch

Nice work.

Just a couple of dumb questions:

Can we still use the hotkeys like WinX?

Beta will run for 14 days, I'll wait until you release some final and then donate (don't like to use beta soft)

How much $ will this be?

Thanks for the hard work and hopefully you can make a killer app out of this!

Cheers.

Now an explanation i owe you guys about 'very special magic'. There is still start menu code present in explorer.exe. Because it's shared with jump list code, it wasn't removed totally. Several shell interfaces were deprecated and removed alongside with some start menu code.

I reimplemented them (during Ex7forW8 development) and several parts of start menu, as well i had to reimplement start button, win key code and other things.

How hacky is this? Fortunately, a bit. It's not hackorama-all-over, just two private functions in explorer.exe i have to call.

Q: Will Microsoft remove start menu code and break StartIsBack?

A: No, it's almost impossible since it's tied with jump list code and requires rearchitecting explorer.exe code, which they won't do until next Windows version.

Edited by Tihiy

Ah someone leaked it to Neowin... i hope Andrea Borman doesn't come here, otherwise i'll have to switch to closed testing. :realmad:

Yes Andrea Borman is here. I remember you from two months ago. You are the man who invented that silly software that does not work. I suppose this one does not have the files in it either. Andrea Borman.

Yes Andrea Borman is here. I remember you from two months ago. You are the man who invented that silly software that does not work. I suppose this one does not have the files in it either. Andrea Borman.

Welcome back, glad to see you! Please come later when non-beta begins. Thanks :hello: With all due respect, Tihiy.