Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

I thank @Tihiy for the excellent work, impressive, and just as many I'm looking forward to a more mature version without the time bomb and bugs free.

My constructive wishes:

1. The Start Menu should not disable any metro features, or should only disable them optionally. I personally want to be able to use metro sometimes with all its shortcuts and its search function available.

2. Option to choose the Start Orbit function, as well as hotkeys Win, Ctr-Esc, so they launch either Start Menu or the Metro Screen.

3. Full featured installer/uninstaller and configuration tool.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It would be splendid to get Flip3D back as well, perhaps your next project?

Thanks again for making Windows 8 better.

Hi,

I got an error whan I try to change options in the Start Menu Properties:

Failed to get data for ' Start_AdminToolsTemp'

My Windows 8 version is RTM and this is the french language native

The settings ares applied if i log-off and re-login.

Thanks.

Edited by wmaniac

Here are a few more minor issues I have found, even with the Beta 0 Refresh:

- Clicking Defaults resets the "Shutdown action" to the last-saved-setting, instead of using a default setting.

- If I change the "Number of recent programs to display" value to a value that would result in a taller or shorter start menu, then when I click the Start button, it only shows the number that would fit within the existing height. I have to click the Start button a second time to get it to use the correct height, and display the new number of recent programs.

- With the "Enable top (grabbing) hot corner" checkbox unchecked:

----- If I hover the mouse cursor along the top edge left and right, the desktop icons flicker.

----- Also, I cannot draw a selection rectangle (to select a group of icons) starting from that top edge

Keep up the great work!

Edited by JacobKlein

[sOLVED BY NEXT POST] I get this if I try changing anything in the Start Menu settings that I've tried to change so far, no matter whether I hit Apply or OK. This is under Windows Server 2012 with the Workstation converter. Sorry I know you said interested in Windows 8, so I'm going to test it on a fresh W8 install in Hyper-V next and confirm the same behavior.

startisbackbetazerorefr.jpg

Edited by roirraW "edor" ehT

I get this if I try changing anything in the Start Menu settings that I've tried to change so far, no matter whether I hit Apply or OK. This is under Windows Server 2012 with the Workstation converter. Sorry I know you said interested in Windows 8, so I'm going to test it on a fresh W8 install in Hyper-V next and confirm the same behavior.

The error message is saying exactly what the problem is. You are missing "Start_AdminToolsTemp". To fix it, scroll down to "Systems administrative tools" and change the option to anything. Then apply. The error should be gone now.

OR

Add it yourself:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]

"Start_AdminToolsTemp"=dword:00000001

EDIT:

@Tihiy - On Windows 7 (maybe earlier), if you choose to not display this setting then it does not set the value to "0". Instead it deletes the key so it's possible to have Windows REMOVE that registry entry. So technically there's a scenario where that entry is not found. You might want to ignore this error in the future. There might be other automated scripts (like mine that I posted earlier) that replicate the no key scenario.

EDIT2:

I've been messing with it all morning and I'm not seeing any other errors on either 2012 or Win8. Aside from the missing key issue above but I've already altered my scripts so no more issues there.

Edited by ISOHaven

[The error message is saying exactly what the problem is. You are missing "Start_AdminToolsTemp". To fix it, scroll down to "Systems administrative tools" and change the option to anything. Then apply. The error should be gone now.

Thank you, ISOHaven!

1. After I change the number of "Recent Programs", the Start Menu doesn't change size to fit how many recent programs would be potentially shown. I can change it to 100 and the Start Menu is the same size. Is this a bug or a feature? ;) lol

^ Ignore #1, looks like someone else reported it.

2. When changing the number of "Recent Programs", if I change it by using the up and down "arrows" to increase and decrease the number, then the "Apply" button is properly unghosted. If I manually type a number in, "Apply" isn't unghosted. Note that if you change something else or use the up or down buttons previous to manually typing a number in, Apply IS still unghosted, but that makes sense.

If I type a command in the Search box or in "Run", like "Cmd", "Command" or "Calc", those items should be added to the still sparse recent programs list. Actually, it looks like (for me anyway), nothing, whether run from the Start Menu or typed in, is being added to the recent programs list.

Ah, after a reboot (maybe works after a logoff/logon too?) any newly recently run programs show up in the list.

If I type a command in the Search box or in "Run", like "Cmd", "Command" or "Calc", those items should be added to the still sparse recent programs list. Actually, it looks like (for me anyway), nothing, whether run from the Start Menu or typed in, is being added to the recent programs list.

Restart explorer.exe and see if they pop up. Or reboot, or log off then on again...which ever.

From what I can tell, it has the same bug from ex7forW8. They don't show up for me until explorer is restarted.

Restart explorer.exe and see if they pop up. Or reboot, or log off then on again...which ever.

From what I can tell, it has the same bug from ex7forW8. They don't show up for me until explorer is restarted.

I tried to edit my post before you or anyone replied. :D Thank you, anyway!

Got it working YAY acutally blown away by how good it is... and its only a beta 0! Many thanks to Tihiy will be buying it when it's relased. May I ask how does this work is it a port from windows 7?

Edited by stevek93

I was able to Hibernate from my previous Start Menu program, but it doesn't list Hibernate for me in beta 0 refresh.

Also, not really a bug, just an observation. When the readme says copy to C:\StartIsBack, it really means C:, not whatever your current Windows drive letter is. :)