Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

Also for future versions, when MS Surface Pro going to be released maybe there should be an option to use Surface Home Key (Start Button) to call App Screen (Start Screen), but have Win Key from keyboard to call Start Menu ....

For first words - it's great tool, mr "Тихий". Really best solution (better then Start8 at all) for Win8 most annoying ui problem. Great thanks (and I am ready to pay for it, for Russia it's not so usual :) ).

For Idea - when I am in Moder UI let Win key go to Start Screen, not to Start menu. It's more logical in my mind.

Edited by DeathMAD

For first words - is great tool, mr "Тихий". Really best solution (better then Start8 at all) for Win8 most annoying ui problem. Great thanks (and I am ready to pay for it, for Russia it's not so usual :) ).

For Idea - when I am in Moder UI let Win key go to Start Screen, not to Start menu. It's more logical in my mind.

I totally agree it's the best restoration of modern style start menu.

I second your suggestion for the Win key. Actually there are 2 Win keys, left and right, and there is Ctr-Esc that also opens start menu. I think it's a good idea to add more options:

LWin - opens the start menu

LWin - starts Metro screen

RWin - opens the start menu

RWin - starts Metro screen

Those options could be arranged with a radio button or via drop-down.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Currently there are Win-Ctr, Win-Shift, Win-Alt (in the Modern UI) that start the Metro screen. I'm quite happy with each of those combinations, but quite a few people would prefer a single Win key, as they are much used to it.

@Тихий, what do you think of moving out 'Hotkeys' to a separate tab in the StartIsBack config tool, at some point of the development?

There should be a text file that contains every text that is not translated by the windows resources library.

That way it will be easier to maintain and translate completely Start Is Back into the preferred user language.

Edited by wmaniac

Also been having the desktop icons flickering when I disable the top screen edge (snap). It happens when I move the mouse cursor to the top of the screen where it would normally change to the "hand" cursor.

Also, when I have the start menu translucency enabled, the entire start menu becomes almost totally transparent with just the slightest hint of a black overlay.

When I disable the start menu translucency then the Aero coloring works exactly as it should.

Finally, as soon as the cursor moves away from the start button the taskbar autohides even though the start menu remains open.

Reversely, if I move the cursor to the bottom left corner the taskbar doesn't autoappear, I have to move the cursor further to the right. Clicking in that area though works as if clicking the start button.

All of that is on the English x64 RP version of Windows 8 (build 8400) with the 306.97 nVidia drivers using a GTX 580.

I have no remote desktop enabled but ex7forW8 v 1.0 is also installed on the system for reference. So far I have found the two to be pixel-for-pixel identical, even though they disagree on what to show in the most used programs list.

Will probably be installing the RTM version in the coming weeks, possibly a clean installation (even though I had good experience with the upgrade) so I will re-test then.

One other request if at all possible concerning the top/bottom right corners, I actually find the charms bar useful but it is annoying when it appears when I try to click the "X" of a maximized window. Is it possible to disable only the TOP right hot spot and retain the BOTTOM right?

Also been having the desktop icons flickering when I disable the top screen edge (snap). It happens when I move the mouse cursor to the top of the screen where it would normally change to the "hand" cursor.

Also, when I have the start menu translucency enabled, the entire start menu becomes almost totally transparent with just the slightest hint of a black overlay.

When I disable the start menu translucency then the Aero coloring works exactly as it should.

Finally, as soon as the cursor moves away from the start button the taskbar autohides even though the start menu remains open.

Reversely, if I move the cursor to the bottom left corner the taskbar doesn't autoappear, I have to move the cursor further to the right. Clicking in that area though works as if clicking the start button.

All of that is on the English x64 RP version of Windows 8 (build 8400) with the 306.97 nVidia drivers using a GTX 580.

I have no remote desktop enabled but ex7forW8 v 1.0 is also installed on the system for reference. So far I have found the two to be pixel-for-pixel identical, even though they disagree on what to show in the most used programs list.

Will probably be installing the RTM version in the coming weeks, possibly a clean installation (even though I had good experience with the upgrade) so I will re-test then.

One other request if at all possible concerning the top/bottom right corners, I actually find the charms bar useful but it is annoying when it appears when I try to click the "X" of a maximized window. Is it possible to disable only the TOP right hot spot and retain the BOTTOM right?

U gotta remove the ex7forW8, i dont think you cant have those 2 running at the same time without them crashing together somehow.

BETA 4

Download: http://www.startisback.com/StartIsBack_betafour.zip

You made me believe there's a lot of bugs. So i fixed them!

- If pinned shortcut is renamed via properties, pin list will try to resolve it

- Translucent Start menu jump list animation is no longer jerky (but animates over translucent goo)

- Improved hot corners handling, fixed RDP issues

- Start menu would abruptly close if 'Mouse Hover Makes Window Active' enabled

- Taskbar would autohide while start menu is open

- StartIsBackCfg would crash on Server 2012 unless you DEP-exclude it

- Start orbs are resized when adding (PNG only, optional)

I seriously dislike AVG.

BETA 4

Download: http://www.startisback.com/StartIsBack_betafour.zip

- StartIsBackCfg would crash on Server 2012 unless you DEP-exclude it

I seriously dislike AVG.

Thanks, Tihiy! I'd like to note that it seems that under Server 2012, if you change the DEP setting to be for "essential programs...only", then StartIsBack works fine then, too.

I don't like AVG, either, never have. :D

Installed B4 over B3, the icon flickering and the translucency issue are still there (even after uninstalling Ex7forW8), however the taskbar autohiding after mousing away from the bar issue was fixed!

Attached you'll find a visual of the translucency issue

post-104229-0-01566300-1351554304_thumb.

Edited by Keeperos

Attached you'll find a visual of the translucency issue

That's not an issue, that's just the lack of special handling for RP. In RTM it looks as intended.

Please try to describe flickering. Does only top-left 20x20 corner trigger it? Does flickering happen when you move mouse or when it stays also? Do you have any tweakers installed? Try downloading skip metro suite and check if it running it resolves the issue.

Next version should be Release Candidate and it should come in a week, i hope, alongside with a site and purchase options.

Issues need to be resolved

- Metro hotkey not working first time

- Icon flickering

- Translations

- Better install/uninstall experience

- Auto/manual updates for StartIsBack

Issues wontfix for RC/1.0

- Gray text in start menu search (that's how search fields look with RTM theme)

- Any Win8RP issues

- Arabic/RTL languages

- Black High contast theme support

All feature requests are to be considered.

I need more trusty pals which can help me test activation system. If you have several real PCs with x86/x64 Win8/Server2012 and can spend some time helping me, please e-mail/PM me.