Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

@ Tihiy,

This is just a follow-up from a previous post about NIS 2013 action taken toward startisback.exe upon its download. Today I submitted a "Report a Suspected Erroneous Detection (False Positive)" to Symantec as "a user or potential user of the software" to see if it will be removed from their flagging and automatic deletion and quarantine. Perhaps as the creator, a submission from you might help put startisback in the clear (as far as NIS 2013 is concerned)?

regards,

Laurence

This is just a follow-up from a previous post about NIS 2013 action taken toward startisback.exe upon its download. Today I submitted a "Report a Suspected Erroneous Detection (False Positive)" to Symantec as "a user or potential user of the software" to see if it will be removed from their flagging and automatic deletion and quarantine. Perhaps as the creator, a submission from you might help put startisback in the clear (as far as NIS 2013 is concerned)?

Does Symantec still flag it? I've submitted both 1.0 and 1.1 to whitelist but request was denied, yet treat was no longer detected according to virustotal. I hope with digitally signed 1.2 better i may expect better luck. As for guest Paypal payments, i'm afraid to enable them, since it requires switching to Business account. If you can help me testing guest payments, write me to email please.

Little bug I noticed, after every update, Start Screen keep getting "Show Administrative tools" tiles option ON,

probably because I have "System Administrative tools" option set to "Display on all programs and menu and the Start Menu" in StartIsBack Options...

Sorry if this was reported before.

Hi, thanks for this great app!

I notice that sometimes the application's icons are missing in the "Recent apps" list. I mean only the application names are shown, with empty icons.

Dunno how this can be reproduced but I still see it from time to time in 1.2RC2. Just wanna provide some feedback so maybe you have an idea what's going on.

I notice that sometimes the application's icons are missing in the "Recent apps" list. I mean only the application names are shown, with empty icons.

I've seen that only temporarily in low memory / high cpu usage conditions. Nevertheless in 1.2final i plan to improve MFU algorithm so this stuff should go away.

Hi!

On my system hibernation is enabled and I can use it through StartIsBack, but there is no option for hibernation in 'Power button default action' combo box. Please add that feature.

Other than that, I really like SIS, keep up the good work!

Start menu with hibernation option.

0jBfP.jpg

Combo box without hibernation option.

PXtaJ.jpg

Edited by marko123

Sleep: CPU and hard drives stop, but RAM is still powered (PSU doesn't power down). The computer needs a few seconds to wake up and continue working.

Hibernate: RAM content is saved to disk, then computer powers down completely. To continue working, you have to turn it on again, go through POST, then the RAM content is loaded from disk.

Maybe I'm being a dufus, but I have to ask. What's the difference between "sleep" and "hibernate"?

Hibernate will physically turn your computer off. Everything gets saved into a save state file and when you turn your computer back on it will use that humongous file to resume itself.

Sleep is simply a power mode that uses very little power but your running data is all stored in memory and the computer still requires power.

Although it wasn't asked, Hybrid Sleep is a kind of combination of Hibernate and Sleep:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Sleep-and-hibernation-frequently-asked-questions:

What's the difference between sleep, hibernate, and hybrid sleep?

Sleep is a power-saving state that allows a computer to quickly resume full-power operation (typically within several seconds) when you want to start working again. Putting your computer into the sleep state is like pausing a DVD player—the computer immediately stops what it’s doing and is ready to start again when you want to resume working.

Hibernation is a power-saving state designed primarily for laptops. While sleep puts your work and settings in memory and draws a small amount of power, hibernation puts your open documents and programs on your hard disk, and then turns off your computer. Of all the power-saving states in Windows, hibernation uses the least amount of power. On a laptop, use hibernation when you know that you won't use your laptop for an extended period and won't have an opportunity to charge the battery during that time.

Hybrid sleep is designed primarily for desktop computers. Hybrid sleep is a combination of sleep and hibernate—it puts any open documents and programs in memory and on your hard disk, and then puts your computer into a low-power state so that you can quickly resume your work. That way, if a power failure occurs, Windows can restore your work from your hard disk. When hybrid sleep is turned on, putting your computer into sleep automatically puts your computer into hybrid sleep. Hybrid sleep is typically turned on by default on desktop computers.

Why can't I find the sleep or hibernate options on my computer?

Click the Start button Picture of the Start button , and then click the arrow next to the Shut down button.

Picture of the Shut down button with menu expandedSleep and Hibernate located on the menu

If sleep or hibernate aren't available, it might be for one or more of the following reasons:

Your video card might not support sleep. Update the driver for your video card, or check the information that came with your computer about your video card and supported drivers. For more information, see Update drivers: recommended links.

Some settings are managed by your system administrator. For more information, see Why won't Windows allow me to change a system setting?

Sleep and other power-saving states are turned off in your computer's basic input/output system (BIOS). To turn on sleep, restart your computer, and then enter the BIOS setup. As your computer starts, instructions typically appear on the screen that indicate which key or keyboard shortcut you must press to enter the BIOS setup process. Because not all computer manufacturers use the same BIOS, different keys are assigned for this purpose. To learn more, check the information that came with your computer or go to the manufacturer’s website.

If the hibernate option is missing, you might have hybrid sleep turned on.

I've seen that only temporarily in low memory / high cpu usage conditions. Nevertheless in 1.2final i plan to improve MFU algorithm so this stuff should go away.

Ah that looks promising... However, I used to get it right after a fresh boot. And my laptop has 8GB of RAM and i7 Quad Core so I'm not sure if that's the actual cause of the glitch, just FYI :)

PS. I was using Aero8 style and the glitch wouldn't go away unless I made some modification in the app's option (and cause it to do a refresh I believe)

Edited by kong