Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

Ah that looks promising... However, I used to get it right after a fresh boot. And my laptop has 8GB of RAM and i7 Quad Core so I'm not sure if that's the actual cause of the glitch, just FYI :)

PS. I was using Aero8 style and the glitch wouldn't go away unless I made some modification in the app's option (and cause it to do a refresh I believe)

There's the problem! Your laptop's too fast! I'll trade you (at least mine has 8GB too) and you won't have that problem any more! ;) j/k

There's the problem! Your laptop's too fast! I'll trade you (at least mine has 8GB too) and you won't have that problem any more! ;) j/k

Lol :lol:

Edited by kong

Looks great Tihiy, I already sent the link to a tech friend and if all goes well during the trial I will certainly buy it to use for myself and other people I help and support. It's pretty lame that at such a reasonable price somebody has to put out a crack, I would definitely support you. Nice touch to give 2 licenses for the cheapest price btw, helps spread the word.

Just installed RC2 and wanted to say thanks for the best implementation available of the Start Menu that is StartIsBack. You should definitively get together with the 8GadgetPack guy. :)

A couple of questions, sorry if they have been addressed here already: I've tried the 3 visual styles but I can't detect any visual changes. Maybe they are subtle and I can't notice them?

Also, it would be nice to have a mouse-click way to access the Start Screen (apart from the key-shortcut) and the Apps available to the Start Menu. Having tried Start8, I think it offered a bottom-left "hot-corner" for accessing the Start Screen. Not sure if it's the default position, since I have a vertical-left taskbar, but it was nice to have even if sometimes the "minimize to desktop" was accidentally pressed.

Also, it would be nice to have a mouse-click way to access the Start Screen (apart from the key-shortcut) and the Apps available to the Start Menu.
Wheel button opens the Start screen for me.

Thanks. I use the wheel-click as double-click (very convenient btw) so that will not work unfortunately. My thought was for a Start Menu item/shortcut for the Start Screen, or the aforementioned Hot-Corner.

Edited by Amigafever

Someone *had* made an executable (might have been a batch file turned into an executable) which I was able to pin to the right of the Start Menu and click to get to the Apps screen during early testing of SiB, or when I was using Classic Shell before, but now that program opens the SiB Start Menu. I keep middle-click as middle-click, however, so it's not a problem for me.

Not sure if it has been reported already, but if you stop on an item with a jumplist, wait for it to show, and then move to another item - when jumplist closes, the item beneath the cursor loses focus if it has no jumplist.

I've been a user since the first version of Ex7ForW8, which is still far better than alternative solutions, imo. Thank you for making Microsoft's best OS yet, usable and familiar. I only needed one license for the time being, but couldn't be happier to pay for 5. Keep up the marvelous work and active development!

Not sure if it has been reported already, but if you stop on an item with a jumplist, wait for it to show, and then move to another item - when jumplist closes, the item beneath the cursor loses focus if it has no jumplist.

Reproduced.

Same here.

Same as in Windows 7.

Same as in Windows 7.

Yep, reproduced both with StartIsBack under Windows 8 as well as with Microsoft's original Start Menu under Windows 7.

It's in Microsoft's code, not Tihiy's (well, either that or he intentionally reproduced said behaviour).

Personally I am not bothered by it but I wouldn't mind it being "rectified" either, definitely not a showstopper though or sth that should be given priority over other improvements already planned.

Thanks. I use the wheel-click as double-click (very convenient btw) so that will not work unfortunately. My thought was for a Start Menu item/shortcut for the Start Screen, or the aforementioned Hot-Corner.

You say you use the middle button as double click, why not just turn off double click, I have had it turned off for years, that way you could use the middle click's default (much more convenient)