Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

Ehm. Is it (was it) BSOD or just blue screen without explorer loaded?

Explorer.exe is not reloading back to the desktop so just blue screen no dumpfile

Only happens when using your silent switch, when you run normally installs and runs like it should.

Curious if anyone else has tried to do the silent install and had the same thing happen?

Tihiy, if you could use the /qn in future update that would make it totally silent as well instead of the basic auto-install

and seeing the install progress bar

Edited by DosProbie

And here it is!

VERSION 1.2 RELEASE

http://www.startisback.com/StartIsBack_setup.exe

Changes over 1.2RC2:

- Fixed: hibernate shutdown option could fail to show in configurator

- Fixed: high contast themes start menu issues

- Fixed: popping combined start screen / button menu shifts cursor position

- New: Control Panel shortcut for Start menu configuration

- Updated AeroByDesign style

- Installing for all users no longer requires log off

post-363300-0-57416200-1355341265_thumb.

Thanks so much @Tihiy, all works as charm in this release. AeroByDesign is awesome and now it's my favorite skin.

Although not new in this release, it's still worth to note another great feature: the shutdown button shows the yellow update mark once system updates are ready.

Control Panel shortcut is cool too.

----------------------------------------------

Hello, sorry for spam, this is not directly StartIsBack related, but someone could be interested in it.

Would somebody be interested in the development of the small utility which returns transparent titlebars in Win8? This is not regular Aero Glass but the utility (currently slow and buggy) which replaces windows titlebars with transparent images.

Interesting, but IMHO transparent borders without Aero Blur are not as good as solid. What I truly want added to Windows 8 is Flip3D as in Windows 7.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Explorer.exe is not reloading back to the desktop so just blue screen no dumpfile

Only happens when using your silent switch, when you run normally installs and runs like it should.

Curious if anyone else has tried to do the silent install and had the same thing happen?

Tihiy, if you could use the /qn in future update that would make it totally silent as well instead of the basic auto-install

and seeing the install progress bar

I'm reluctant to try the silent method, but still might that be some driver bugging out, what does your bsod error say?

Every blue screen creates crash report in X:\Windows\Minidump, so a .dmp has to be there, of course if you haven't changed your system default setting.

Version 1.3 Release Candidate 0

http://www.startisback.com/StartIsBack_setupRC.exe

- Prevented rogue programs from moving orb

- Fixed severe MFU / pinned program list performance and refresh issues

- Newly installed programs are highlighted

1.3 will likely contain no new major features but important fixes.

In 1.3RC0 start menu refresh logic was improved and involves much less I/O which should fix performance problems and icon missing situations.

I noticed a small problem: my taskbar is set to auto-hide. If I view an image full-screen in IrfanView (Enter on keyboard), and press the Windows key, the taskbar doesn't appear, while the Start orb sometimes does (over the image), and sometimes doesn't. Start Menu always opens, but again, sometimes it appears in it's normal place (above where the taskbar should be), and sometimes it appears right at the bottom of the screen. Happens with both 1.2 and 1.3rc0.

I see another issue - clicking on start orb acts weird now - sometimes menu opens, sometimes it does not, sometimes it just flashes... For now, just posting to see if someone else sees it.

Edited by higH1

Version 1.3 Release Candidate 0

http://www.startisback.com/StartIsBack_setupRC.exe

- Prevented rogue programs from moving orb

- Fixed severe MFU / pinned program list performance and refresh issues

- Newly installed programs are highlighted

1.3 will likely contain no new major features but important fixes.

In 1.3RC0 start menu refresh logic was improved and involves much less I/O which should fix performance problems and icon missing situations.

I suggest adding either a reboot prompt or warning box.

When I updated from previous pre release RC to 1.2.1 so I could activate, all my pinned items were gone and "pin to start menu" was gone in menus, I assumed I just needed a reboot and I was right, all ok again after the reboot, but the app upgrade installer didn't tell me that.

Hey Tihiy,

please keep on with this great job!

Some notes about 1.3RC:

- I can't remove highlited items from recent programs list. Not highlighted items work ok.

- Sometimes I get a crash when closing StartIsBack configurator. I still can't reproduce it whenever I want to.

Please check attached screenshot with some info about the crash.

Filippo

post-34819-0-60572400-1355399724_thumb.p

Edited by butos