Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

I tried out 1.3 today but found that when I enabled "Rename Start Screen to Apps..." that new mail notifications for Outlook 2013 ("toast" that pops up on the upper-right portion of the screen), along with the accompanying notification sound, stopped happening. Rebooting doesn't help. Disabling the Start Screen feature allowed Outlook's notifications to work again.

May be a bit off topic, if so I apologise, but if a SIB setting does affect those awful "ModernUI" notifications, it would be handy to have a setting that would disable them and revert software to using the traditional tooltip balloons.

As an example, I have the same version of Malwarebytes running on win 7 and Win 8. On Win 7, it uses the traditional balloons for user notifications, but on Win 8 it uses the Modern UI with no way to revert. I find that I don't always see the new style notifications because they appear at the top of the screen which is not in ready view of oldies like me who have to use progressive lenses for computer work. I don't notice stuff at the top of the screen unless I make a conscious effort to look up there!

Hi Tihiy,

I would like to report a little bit of a bug I have found in SiB 1.3.

On my desktop PC, when I enter the Windows Taskbar properties, and deselect "Store recently opened programs" under the Jump Lists tab, the recently opened applications is removed from the Start menu like in Windows 7 ("Store and display recently opened programs in the Start menu").

However, on my laptop and on virtual machines I had set up, doing so populates the Start menu with items which are all highlighted and cannot be Remove from this list manually from the context menu, unless I reselect "Store recently opened programs" first.

The "Highlight newly installed programs" option has been disabled under "Configure Start menu items and behavior", yet this bug persists.

It's not a major issue, but sometimes I like clearing out my list of recently opened programs and letting new ones repopulate the list.

If you have time to look into this, that would be great!

Thanks for all your hard work!!

post-305694-0-53878700-1357240600_thumb.

post-305694-0-58404100-1357240607_thumb.

Hi Tihiy,

I would like to report a little bit of a bug I have found in SiB 1.3.

On my desktop PC, when I enter the Windows Taskbar properties, and deselect "Store recently opened programs" under the Jump Lists tab, the recently opened applications is removed from the Start menu like in Windows 7 ("Store and display recently opened programs in the Start menu").

However, on my laptop and on virtual machines I had set up, doing so populates the Start menu with items which are all highlighted and cannot be Remove from this list manually from the context menu, unless I reselect "Store recently opened programs" first.

The "Highlight newly installed programs" option has been disabled under "Configure Start menu items and behavior", yet this bug persists.

It's not a major issue, but sometimes I like clearing out my list of recently opened programs and letting new ones repopulate the list.

If you have time to look into this, that would be great!

Thanks for all your hard work!!

I'm having the same problem!

Tihiy Please Fix...

Hi,

i have tested sib 1.3 today. It is really nice product. I like it better then start8 but one think is in start8 better. The size of the start button in start8 is automaticly smaller if I check the checkbox 'Use small taskbar Buttons'. In SIB I need to change to smaller icons. Is it possible to change the size automaticly if the checkbox is checked or unchecked.

Found a second wish. Is it possible to change the color of the menu if the window color of windows 8 is changed.

Thx.

commander

Edited by commander1979

Does anyone else have problems with renaming icons that have been pinned to the start menu? I right click the icon, go to properties and then change the name of the icon on the General tab. After doing this the name of the icon changes but clicking the icon no longer runs the program.

Does anyone else have problems with renaming icons that have been pinned to the start menu? I right click the icon, go to properties and then change the name of the icon on the General tab. After doing this the name of the icon changes but clicking the icon no longer runs the program.

I *think* (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that you have to create a shortcut file to the program in question, rename that, and then pin the shortcut?

I *think* (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that you have to create a shortcut file to the program in question, rename that, and then pin the shortcut?

That's been a known issue for a while....beta 3 of 1.0 I think.

The solution is to hit shift then right click and select rename.

Renaming from the general tab will cause all sorts of problems.

Version 1.3.1

http://startisback.com/#download-tab

Fix: program highlighting could work incorrectly

Fix: moving metro apps between monitors didn't update hot corners

Windows 7 start menu pinned items are migrated on first install

Startup programs are launched without 10 second delay

Shortcuts for newly installed games are created in Games start menu subfolder

New translations

I recently installed some new programs, and I noticed that in All Programs, the highlight is orange, even in High Contrast theme:

win8highlight.png

Can this be fixed? (the highlight colour seems to be fine in the main part of Start Menu)

That worked. Thanks.

That's been a known issue for a while....beta 3 of 1.0 I think.

The solution is to hit shift then right click and select rename.

Renaming from the general tab will cause all sorts of problems.

I just noticed a problem: when a new user logs in for the first time, all programs are highlighted as new.

Also, would it be possible to set the default orb image for all users?

I've been able to reproduce this a lot. It's also something new as older versions don't do this.