Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

Yep, fixed this. Say if you want more improvements to high contrast theme.
OK, here goes:
  • divider lines are hard to see in my colour scheme (though they look fine in other high-contrast themes), also the vertical divider line seems to be missing completely (it was there in the regular version)
  • submenus (eg. Shutdown, Control Panel) use wrong highlight style (it looks like highlight Windows 7 and older used, instead of what Windows 8 uses); for me this isn't a problem (I actually prefer this style, even though it differs from regular menus), but it might bother somebody else using high contrast themes (in High Contrast Black, the text is black and background dark magenta, which makes selected items hard to read)
  • In Windows 7, All Programs used the window background colour, not menu/button background. I preferred this (and I'd actually prefer if the background on the left always used this colour), but since Windows 8 uses the button background in many places where window background was used on older Windows versions, I'm unsure if doing that would be the right thing to do
  • Would it be possible to use the user picture frame from the selected StartIsBack theme even in high-contrast mode?

Oh, and this isn't high-contrast related - the text you type in the search box always looks dimmed (I reported this problem before) - it should use the regular text colour (this is visible both in normal theme, and in high-contrast ones).

Edited by ender`

I've had 6 Explorer crashes in ntdll.dll since 2.1, and 1 before. I know Explorer crashes were a topic last year, but I wasn't using it then so can't compare with then. Also, while I'm not sure StartisBack is the reason, it's my top suspect. Will the beta help? I can also just uninstall to see how that goes.

When crashes happen? If it's outside of using menu and launching apps, it's hardly StartIsBack fault. You can try test version as well.

It's only happened when using the Start menu, or using the right-click menu in the lower left, or using a quicklaunch menu I have. It could be a coincidence, but the incidents have increased greatly since 2.1.

I recently purchased Start is Back and have a question. When looking in ALL PROGRAMS, folders display a right arrow and automatically open a list of their contents. Is there a way to duplicate this behavior for a folder "pinned" to the start menu?

If I add (or pin) a folder to the start menu there is no right arrow and clicking opens File Explorer. If I add a folder to the ALL PROGRAMS area, I see a right arrow and a list of contents.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by kdiehl

I recently purchased Start is Back and have a question. When looking in ALL PROGRAMS, folders display a right arrow and automatically open a list of their contents. Is there a way to duplicate this behavior for a folder "pinned" to the start menu?

No, but there is alternate thing planned for folders.

Found some more bugs in the latest version test 3.

The search programs text doesn't show when you first click on the start button and the default programs also doesn't show sometimes, if you select another start menu style and apply it, then open the start menu it is not shown, click on the start menu again and it will show, this is the same as the "search programs and files" text but every time you take focus away from the start menu the text seems to be gone next time you open the start menu.

I see you never mentioned this as a fix but I noticed in Test 2 the separator line in the places list wasn't shown correctly, Test 3 seems to have fixed that though.

Administrative tools setting still not working though, nor is the start menu closing as expected when clicking on the start button a second time unless you click to the far left of the button for some weird reason.

Another thing I noticed is one of the hover states is missing in the programs list item split button left, when you have a split button and the extended list opens the button changes states but as you move the cursor over to the arrow button (split button Right) the left side should change to a non focused state again.

Oh and might as well mention this as well, on the search results the "see more results" button "clickable area" does not stretch the entire width of the start menu as it does in the native menu and as it did in the old SIB, and one other thing with that button, the image it uses there seems to be the wrong one, you are using the hot image and you should be using the hot selected image.

Your using:

Explorer & Shell > Explorer > ListView > ListItem > Hot

Should be:

Explorer & Shell > Explorer > ListView > ListItem > HotSelected

Just to clarify what I mean with the more results button, if you move your cursor to the left side the button will highlight but if you move the cursor over to the right it doesn't, the button should be active no matter what side you have your cursor.

Another thing I noticed is one of the hover states is missing in the programs list item split button left, when you have a split button and the extended list opens the button changes states but as you move the cursor over to the arrow button (split button Right) the left side should change to a non focused state again.

That's intended and likely won't be reimplemented. Other bugs are noted, thanks for your sharp eye :rolleyes:

TEST BUILD 4 is out with new features! https://moot.it/startisback

Also, StartIsBack 2.1.1 with minor changes is expected soon.

Two little bugs seen in the screenshot:

1. If not enough number of recent items is shown in list, last command right on the bottom gets cut off;

2. Focus is not redrawn properly when switching from item with jumplist to another item - focus stays drawn on both items.

2013-06-24-235205-.png

3. There is no setting to show/hide PC Settings? (Am I missing something?)

4.Also, when you click sleep - Sleep is set to default instead of shutdown - StartMenu does not close when you click on sleep, so when you click to start a sleeping computer, StartMenu is still open, cursor is over Sleep button and that single click send the computer again to sleep immediately after waking up.

P.S. Should I post bugs in StartisBack.Next thread?

Edited by higH1

Hi I test this new version of Start is Back on Windows 8.1 Build 9385 and I find that work but the botton no appear fast, is slow to appear when is initialize then run well and in the satartisback menu in configure Start items no appear like the photo I post, nothing to add just the shortcut to Start screen and this shortcut does not work also the .exe don't work. But is a good work Tihiy because now if it works since test 1, something else I chose to go first to the Desktop but don't work . Thanks and we know that you will complete this test in a successfully full functionality start menu Again.

post-373638-0-03206500-1372182803_thumb.

Edited by santij07

StartIsBack 2.1.1

http://www.startisback.com/#download-tab

Fixed: installer could fail to replace files

Fixed: new version notification could be erroneously displayed

Restricted installer to not install on Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2 Preview versions

Also, orbs are back (but shamrock is default). I believe we've come to terms with MS' representative.

Edited by Tihiy

An announcement you've been waiting for + 8.1 ****storm a day early

StartIsBack will be back again for Windows 8.1 and Server 2012 R2! Current versions of StartIsBack are not compatible with those operating systems.

If you install current StartIsBack versions, nothing will happen. You should uninstall StartIsBack if you're willing to try 8.1 or 2012 R2 preview upgrade. SIB versions earlier than 2.0 can crash the OS.

StartIsBack will return Windows 7 menu recreated with all the details and experience you're accustomed with and improvements to the total UI experience, adapted to 8.1 changes; new cool features as well.

I advice you DON'T try Windows 8.1 on real machine as Preview build seems VERY buggy, with user experience NOT really improved. Start button is nice but lame. Bugs are obvious.

New version of StartIsBack will be a free upgrade for all users who purchased StartIsBack previously.

Windows 8.1 preview is horrible so you shouldn't expect StartIsBack for Windows 8.1 very soon.

StartIsBack.Next test builds will still work on Windows 8 for some time. Please try to discuss it on https://moot.it/startisback

Edited by Tihiy

Is there any way of using Start is back in 8.1 preview? I know the new installer restricts you from installing on the preview. But the new start button just takes you to the start screen so lame lol.

I'm pretty sure that StartIsBack will not work on the 8.1 preview. Tihiy wrote that,

StartIsBack will be back again for Windows 8.1 and Server 2012 R2! Current versions of StartIsBack are not compatible with those operating systems.

If you install current StartIsBack versions, nothing will happen. You should uninstall StartIsBack if you're willing to try 8.1 or 2012 R2 preview upgrade.

[emphasis added]

As Tihiy suggests -- stay tuned for a version of SIB that will work on 8.1.

--JorgeA