Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

When StartIsBack was incepted, it was required. This requirement was lifted after but dynamicbase wasn't corrected.

Thanks for pointing it, it would be corrected in next SIB+ release. Not that it matter.

To make ASLR matter, one have to target StartIsBack and that makes no sense since StartIsBack does not give any elevation points nor can expose information.

@Tihiy , you know I've been an early adopter, and supporter of this project.

I try to promote it too at my University,  however people feel reluctant to install Trial Software and prefer to opt for free alternative because they only need absolute basic out of start menu.

I thought I might suggest a freeware version of StartIsBack Light with 98% configuration and functions removed or greyed out, just to get people on bored with SiB, those who want all the setting will want to pay, other will stick to Light version but wont go to alternative products.

just an idea.

Another option could be an alternate license type for Students / Educational institutions, requiring registration with a *.edu address. The *.edu address could then be displayed prominently on the start menu to prevent abuse of the license type (such as distributing it to friends or on torrent sites).

xDb0ier.png

Developers of very expensive software packages often offer discounts to students or educational institutions as a marketing strategy. Students become familiar with the software while at college and promote it to friends, who then enter the workforce in many different companies and pitch it to their employers, who pay full price.

Edited by fysics

Developers of very expensive software packages often offer discounts to students or educational institutions as a marketing strategy. Students become familiar with the software while at college and promote it to friends, who then enter the workforce in many different companies and pitch it to their employers, who pay full price.

In other words Tihiy should strongly increase the license price in order to be able to afford giving away for free to students? :w00t::unsure:

I will gladly contribute however. :yes:

Please send me the names and the .edu address of up to 50 students attending college that cannot afford to pay US$ 2.99 for a license of StartisBack.

As soon as I will additionally receive  proof that they did not (in the least six months):

• ever had a drink at a pub
  • ever had a coffe at a Starbucks (or corresponding local coffee house chain)
  • ever paid a meal in a pizza house or restaurant in excess of US$ 10 more than the "standard" BigMac price

AND that they do not possess more than one device among:

• Laptop
  • Tablet
  • Smartphone

AND that they have:

• no more than two USB sticks
  • no more than one external USB hard disk
  • no TV sets with screen larger than 24" 

I will pay Tihiy directly the fee for a license in their name. :whistle:

jaclaz

In other words Tihiy should strongly increase the license price in order to be able to afford giving away for free to students? :w00t::unsure:

I will gladly contribute however. :yes:

Please send me the names and the .edu address of up to 50 students attending college that cannot afford to pay US$ 2.99 for a license of StartisBack.

As soon as I will additionally receive  proof that they did not (in the least six months):

• ever had a drink at a pub
  • ever had a coffe at a Starbucks (or corresponding local coffee house chain)
  • ever paid a meal in a pizza house or restaurant in excess of US$ 10 more than the "standard" BigMac price

AND that they do not possess more than one device among:

• Laptop
  • Tablet
  • Smartphone

AND that they have:

• no more than two USB sticks
  • no more than one external USB hard disk
  • no TV sets with screen larger than 24" 

I will pay Tihiy directly the fee for a license in their name. :whistle:

jaclaz

That's a lot of IFs, man!  Can't we make it simpler?  ;)

That's a lot of IFs, man!  Can't we make it simpler?   ;)

Simpler, just two steps :yes::

1. start begging in the street until you get 3 (three) or more US$ or do some work in order to save US$ 3 (or equivalent in your local currency)
  2. send them to Tihiy in exchange of a license

Please understand how this method is to be preferred as you won't have to share a lot of personal data with the grumpy Italian backer (yours truly ;)) and this, beside saving some work for him :), will avoid the IRS inspection (or equivalent in your country) that he would otherwise promote, fiscal inspection that would include you, your partner (if any) and all your family and relatives including first and second cousins. 

jaclaz

I registered.  Found out they had nothing but NT4.0 classes.  NT4.0 was on it's way out the door then realized my diploma would be something that actually expired.  I wasn't about to pay 40+ grand for that (today around 100k+).  Now I have well over 10 years experience under my belt which is worth way more than a diploma in this field.

Experience AND a diploma....I would hate those people except they're STILL paying off their student loans.  Poor bastards....oh....now I get it.  Yeah, they need a freebie handout.

lmao.

The idea is that you get SiB into the hands of students who otherwise would be uninterested in it.

I am personally a student, but I also own a SiB license. I've tried other Start menu replacements, but SiB is far far superior. The cost is not prohibitive by any means.

The goal would be to get SiB into the hands of corporate IT managers, using new hires from college as the vector. Tihiy could then gain licenses for deploying it across an entire IT infrastructure as it upgrades to Windows 8/8.1/9 inevitably. The current marketing strategy focuses primarily on individual consumers who are unsatisfied with Windows 8's lack of a start menu, and less on corporations who are reluctant to make the switch to Windows 8 despite its advantages. I feel like there's a lot more money available in the corporate market, due to sheer volume.

lmao.

The idea is that you get SiB into the hands of students who otherwise would be uninterested in it.

I am personally a student, but I also own a SiB license. I've tried other Start menu replacements, but SiB is far far superior. The cost is not prohibitive by any means.

The goal would be to get SiB into the hands of corporate IT managers, using new hires from college as the vector. Tihiy could then gain licenses for deploying it across an entire IT infrastructure as it upgrades to Windows 8/8.1/9 inevitably. The current marketing strategy focuses primarily on individual consumers who are unsatisfied with Windows 8's lack of a start menu, and less on corporations who are reluctant to make the switch to Windows 8 despite its advantages. I feel like there's a lot more money available in the corporate market, due to sheer volume.

Unfortunately I highly doubt many "corporations" will go with this.  I tried when we were all Win8 and they just wouldn't bite with 8.1 right around corner which solved most no menu problems.  Then once they saw the new start menu in Win9 that pretty much killed it completely.