Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

Hey, I'll start by saying I love startisback!

Anyways, the only issue I have had is that some programs like Steam for example, when pinned to the start ment, have (2) next to it, and won't allow me to change it to just "Steam" because "a program called 'Steam' is already pinned there." But...there isn't. How do I fix that?

Thanks

Anyways, the only issue I have had is that some programs like Steam for example, when pinned to the start ment, have (2) next to it, and won't allow me to change it to just "Steam" because "a program called 'Steam' is already pinned there." But...there isn't. How do I fix that?

Go to %appdata%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\user pinned\StartMenu and delete existing shortcuts; then unpin and re-pin items.

Hello,

I bought my mother a new PC the other day which came pre-installed with McAfee security. I immediately went to download her a new copy of StartIsBack, and found that the McAfee firewall was blocking startisback.com. I was able to get through fine after switching the PC over to the standard Windows firewall, but I think it's something you should be aware of.

Great piece of software by the way. My PC is not a f*cking iPad, Microsoft!

Hello,

I bought my mother a new PC the other day which came pre-installed with McAfee security. I immediately went to download her a new copy of StartIsBack, and found that the McAfee firewall was blocking startisback.com. I was able to get through fine after switching the PC over to the standard Windows firewall, but I think it's something you should be aware of.

Well maybe if we talk nice to tihiy he could add a firewall exception to sib under the advanced section, or just add to his installer..

With something like this firewall rule below..DosProbie ö¿ö

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

;ADD STARTISBACK TO THE FIREWALL APPS LIST..REBOOT 4 CHANGES..
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\MuiCache]
"LangID"=hex:09,04
"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\StartIsBack\\StartIsBackCfg.exe.FriendlyAppName"="StartIsBackCfg.exe"
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\MuiCache]
"LangID"=hex:09,04
"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\StartIsBack\\StartIsBackCfg.exe.FriendlyAppName"="StartIsBackCfg.exe"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules]
"TCP Query User{C4A90690-AEAC-456B-A3D4-C1BDBBE6FC90}C:\\Program Files (x86)\\StartIsBack\\StartIsBackCfg.exe"="v2.10|Action=Allow|Active=TRUE|Dir=In|Protocol=6|Profile=Private|Profile=Public|App=C:\\Program Files (x86)\\StartIsBack\\StartIsBackCfg.exe|Name=StartIsBack|Desc=StartIsBack|Defer=User|"
"UDP Query User{F87B5A70-D6C2-46E9-B258-0DEDB81DA98B}C:\\Program Files (x86)\\StartIsBack\\StartIsBackCfg.exe"="v2.10|Action=Allow|Active=TRUE|Dir=In|Protocol=17|Profile=Private|Profile=Public|App=C:\\Program Files (x86)\\StartIsBack\\StartIsBackCfg.exe|Name=StartIsBack|Desc=StartIsBack|Defer=User|"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules]
"TCP Query User{C4A90690-AEAC-456B-A3D4-C1BDBBE6FC90}C:\\Program Files (x86)\\StartIsBack\\StartIsBackCfg.exe"="v2.10|Action=Allow|Active=TRUE|Dir=In|Protocol=6|Profile=Private|Profile=Public|App=C:\\Program Files (x86)\\StartIsBack\\StartIsBackCfg.exe|Name=StartIsBack|Desc=StartIsBack|Defer=User|"
"UDP Query User{F87B5A70-D6C2-46E9-B258-0DEDB81DA98B}C:\\Program Files (x86)\\StartIsBack\\StartIsBackCfg.exe"="v2.10|Action=Allow|Active=TRUE|Dir=In|Protocol=17|Profile=Private|Profile=Public|App=C:\\Program Files (x86)\\StartIsBack\\StartIsBackCfg.exe|Name=StartIsBack|Desc=StartIsBack|Defer=User|"

Edited by DosProbie

StartIsBack 2.0RC3

http://www.startisback.com/StartIsBack_setupRC.exe

This is the last RC. If no important bugs arise, that will be Release version. Just a few translations missing.

What's new:

- StartIsBack is now configurable by group policy. It was already 100% compatible with Windows 7 policy but now all StartIsBack options are fully configurable / restrictable with group policy.

Download group policy template: http://www.startisback.com/GroupPolicy.zip

- It also has a setting to enable StartIsBack in Safe Mode (SOFTWARE\StartIsBack\"EnableInSafeMode"=1)

- You can activate StartIsBack license online automatically from command line: StartIsBackCfg.exe /activate [/elevated] YOUR-LICENSE-KEY-NUMBER

I should write a Deployment Guide soon.

That aside, release contains few minor fixes and improvements. Just a few small steps left to 2.0 release.

Thank you for this update.

I have not seen any change with this new version, I put the file in "C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions", is this normal?

Hello

Thank you very much for this app, and your great work :thumbup

Not very important, but in the start menu options (French), it will be possible to have like that?

post-150033-0-32892900-1361794327_thumb.

For "Redémarrer" et "Mettre en veille"

Currently, it is like that

post-150033-0-99631400-1361794426_thumb.

Thanks so much

And it is possible to have a separator bar between "Redémarrer" and "Veille"?

Thanks

Edited by bapt

Tihiy

Thanks for the StartIsBack, I guess It's the best start-button for Win8.

I noticed a thing:

After a user logs in, first clicking on the "Start screen" - link (in Russian that link is called "Начальный экран") causes sharp appearance of the start screen (not smooth).

If U click that link second and next times, Start screen appears smoothly as it should do.

Same effect is caused by pressing Ctrl+Win.

Is it possible to fix first appearance of the start screen?

p.s.: 2.0 RC3 (Win8 x64 Pro)

And it is possible to have a separator bar between "Redémarrer" and "Veille"?
Maybe, in the future vesion.

I noticed a thing:

After a user logs in, first clicking on the "Start screen" - link (in Russian that link is called "Начальный экран") causes sharp appearance of the start screen (not smooth).

If U click that link second and next times, Start screen appears smoothly as it should do.

Same effect is caused by pressing Ctrl+Win.

Is it possible to fix first appearance of the start screen?

Well, StartIsBack purposefully makes Start screen load after Desktop. Yet I've never noticed lag when opening it. Do you wait long enough or launch it while other things start up?

Thank you very much for 2.0.. I have a question though, I just came from start8 and there seems to be alot more start orbs in .png format and .bmp format.

I use a small top taskbar so its pretty hard to find good start orbs because of that, that was not an issue with start8 :/

Will this feature come later, or is there a reason you dont support that format?