Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

Tihiy

Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Hi, I have the same issue (no sleep button) with build 2.1.2 on Server 2012.

I had a look at that link and I couldn't find the test build

http://startisback.com/StartIsBack_setupTEST.exe

Hey everyone!!! Been a long time! I wont bore anyone with the details as to why I disppeared. How you been Tihiy?

It would be nice if you got a time machine. You've been missed! :angel

Edited by Tihiy

It would be nice if you got a time machine. You've been missed! :angel

Thanks! I've got a ton of catching up to do but as soon as I can I'll load an 8.1 VM and give this a thorough run in my domain environment.

Would love to put Start Is Back on my Windows 7 install...

Is this a possibility?

There's no question it would improve the existing Start Menu...

@Tihiy

Thanks for a great program. It IS the reason I'm staying with Windows 8.1. Keep up the good work!

nitroshift

Happy Turkey Day in advance, Tihiy and everyone! Been so busy with plans - getting married on Saturday and then honeymoon!

Happy Turkey Day in advance, Tihiy and everyone! Been so busy with plans - getting married on Saturday and then honeymoon!

Woot! Congrats!!!!

Happy Gobble Day!

I'm very happy for you guys! Congratulations and best luck!

Maybe it's possible in future releases, to add transparacy-option for windows (not only startmenu & taskbar), too?

Edited by geneticplasma

After using 8.1 for a while and encountering a few issues I've just gone back to 8 (fresh install). I use the option "use small taskbar buttons", and the top of the start button sticks out above the taskbar (using the white win8 logo option, also applies to others though). Ticking "resize to fit taskbar" and reimporting the icons seems to have no effect. I've tried resizing them myself in Gimp, but the end result is pretty ugly no matter which downsampling option I use. On 8.1, the icon is nice and compact. Is there a fix for this?

EDIT: One of the icons from here was suitable:

http://warrenclyde.deviantart.com/art/Windows-8-Metro-Orbs-320240575

Also, can we please have the advanced context menu present in 8.1? I can't find the option in 8.

Edited by Pirateguybrush

hello. is there a known bug that sometimes restarts the desktop windows manager ( dwm process ) when I click the start button ? usually it does this the first time I push the button after a cold boot. sometimes even after that. I reverted to version 2.1.1 and that solved the issue for about 2 months and now the problem is back. please help me

Also, can we please have the advanced context menu present in 8.1? I can't find the option in 8.

It's called "Combine start button menu with Win-X menu".

hello. is there a known bug that sometimes restarts the desktop windows manager ( dwm process ) when I click the start button ? usually it does this the first time I push the button after a cold boot. sometimes even after that. I reverted to version 2.1.1 and that solved the issue for about 2 months and now the problem is back. please help me

No, such bug is not known, must be video driver problem.

• Upvote 1

I have a wierd situation with StartIsBack for 8.1

I have installed it on 2 identical Visio CT15-A5 computers, freshly upgraded from win8 to win 8.1

One works fine,

The other does not seem to even be installing properly.

I have re-downloaded the latest version and tried to re-install.

No go on the second computer, the only way to get the start menu on this one is to hit the Windos key. Hovering over the start area (lower left) does not do anything.

Any help or suggestions will be valued.

Cheers,

JoeKL