Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

In Win8 I'm unable to pin "Windows Update" to your Startmenu.

It's disabled for pinning (even if you try to pin wuapp.exe). As a workaround you can pin some other shortcut and then set its target as 'wuapp.exe'.

That separator LINE appears only with BASIC or HIGH CONTRAST themes...

Nope. There's a separator on Win8 default install with normal themes. Except it's a tiny thin line. So that's why there's a line there. It just paints differently in different situations.

Nope. There's a separator on Win8 default install with normal themes. Except it's a tiny thin line. So that's why there's a line there. It just paints differently in different situations.

Ah, I see - I look more carefully and indeed there is a separator line in Windows 8's shut down options.

Hello, thanks for the program, looks like I have found a bug in it.

After you kill explorer.exe via Taskmanager (as admin) or cmd (taskkill /im explorer.exe /f) and start it again - the start button disappears.

Well, it's not a bug really since Start Is Back logic is to patch the ram and have no any other proccesses, but I'd like to have a possibility to start it manually.

After you kill explorer.exe via Taskmanager (as admin) or cmd (taskkill /im explorer.exe /f) and start it again - the start button disappears.

Well, it's not a bug really since Start Is Back logic is to patch the ram and have no any other proccesses, but I'd like to have a possibility to start it manually.

I can't reproduce that. I can kill explorer.exe and start it again with no issues. Start Menu comes back up. In fact, at least one of the options within SiB config is to do that exact process (Rename Metro Screen).

Can you give any other detail about your machine that's not default?

What happens when you turn on/off rename start screen to apps?

Hello ISOHaven,

I don't rename the Start screen. Try killing explorer from cmd and as an admin user. If fails - reboot your system and do it directly after its start. If still fails - kill dwm too.

About my Machine - Windows 8 32 bit Ent. (not sure if anything else is required).

Regards.

Hello ISOHaven,

I don't rename the Start screen. Try killing explorer from cmd and as an admin user. If fails - reboot your system and do it directly after its start. If still fails - kill dwm too.

About my Machine - Windows 8 32 bit Ent. (not sure if anything else is required).

Regards.

I've done it as admin. No issues.

You don't rename the start screen however I'm asking what happens when you do? That process kills explorer and restarts it. So....does it work? You can always put it back once done testing.

Oops, read it not carefully enough) Wait a sec please)

*tested*

Same behaviour.

Anyone else unable to use that feature at all?

In the meantime, try creating a new user account and trying again. I'm afraid this is something specific with your install.

Nope, with the normal theme (which appears on my Personalization under the name "Windows") I don't have that tiny line. With the high contrast and "Basic" themes I do have that line. Mind the situation includes the 'themes' service running, with Desktop Experience on. ;)

I agree that the tiny line is part of Windows 8 and is no big deal. That's basically what I said in my previous post. ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't reproduce it in my server 2012: I kill explorer.exe => get my taskbar gone and no metro either => then Ctr-Shift-Esc, Task Manager => run explorer.exe => my taskbar gets redrawn with the start button natively on it.

Once installed, StartIsBack becomes part of your windows explorer.