Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

I'm afraid this is something specific with your install.

Honestly, I do think not. Tested on a second machine and got the same behaviour.

Please check again if you are starting your command shell with administrator privileges. Nothing breaks in the other case.

I'd also resetted my settings to defaults.

Nope, with the normal theme (which appears on my Personalization under the name "Windows") I don't have that tiny line.

Then you changed something. Did you remove items from that list? That's the only way to remove the line, if an entire group is gone then it will not display the separator.

Server 2012 with and without Desktop Experience (both are identical):

server2012.jpg

Windows Server 2008 R2:

server2008.jpg

Windows 7:

win7.jpg

Windows 8:

win8.jpg

That line is not a bug. It's already there.

Edited by ISOHaven

I'm afraid this is something specific with your install.

Honestly, I do think not. Tested on a second machine and got the same behaviour.

Please check again if you are starting your command shell with administrator privileges. Nothing breaks in the other case.

I'd also resetted my settings to defaults.

I tried it in two different cases:

1. Logged in as a created user and started it with admin priv. It popped up asking me for permission.

2. Logged in as local admin.

In both cases I'm able to restart explorer with no issues and the rename start screen works fine. I tried it on Win8 and Server 2012.

We'll just have to wait and see if anyone else can reproduce it. For me, this hasn't been a problem since beta 0 and I've tried every time.

Edited by ISOHaven

As a workaround you can pin some other shortcut and then set its target as 'wuapp.exe'.

I've tried it but it doesn't work. In Win7 the pinning of WU was also disabled, but I was able to drag & drop it to the pinned area. But this also no longer in Win8.

It works for me, I right clicked a pinned item > properties > path > %windir%\explorer.exe shell:::{36eef7db-88ad-4e81-ad49-0e313f0c35f8} > , then to general tab > changed name to 'Windows Update'.

The first time you click it, nothing happens, startisback is resolving and updating your new shortcut properties. RE-OPen the menu and click again, now it's working and takes you to windows updates.

Hmm.... What is more - dll is not loading after that - I can simply delete the folder.... And even after I try to reinstall it - nothing appears before logoff/login.

Do you start your "explorer" proccess from the cmd too?

Edited by vit9696

Hmm.... What is more - dll is not loading after that - I can simply delete the folder.... And even after I try to reinstall it - nothing appears before logoff/login.

I've tried both ways, via task manager ansd from the cmd.

Go to programs and features, uninstall, reboot, and install again.

Also, may some process be involved here that's causing that bug?

Yeah, actually. If you start your explorer from the same cmd (with admin priveleges) - you get no start button.

Go to programs and features, uninstall, reboot, and install again.

Tried - same.

Also, may some process be involved here that's causing that bug

Not sure... I'm not fond of tweaking my OS. (I have nothing else installed and working in such a deep way)

Edited by vit9696

I ran it from task manager and cmd. However, I've noted some bad things happen when trying to run it from cmd. Sometimes not everything starts back up so I always make sure to start it back up from task manager. But in this case, the start menu at least comes up.

Nope, with the normal theme (which appears on my Personalization under the name "Windows") I don't have that tiny line.

Then you changed something. Did you remove items from that list? That's the only way to remove the line, if an entire group is gone then it will not display the separator.

Server 2012 with and without Desktop Experience (both are identical):

server2012.jpg

Windows Server 2008 R2:

server2008.jpg

Windows 7:

win7.jpg

Windows 8:

win8.jpg

That line is not a bug. It's already there.

I know it's not a bug and the tiny line looks different with different themes. It's just so less tiny, quite awkward with basic and high contrast themes. If bothered, blame Windsows 8 entirely.

@ISOHeaven, do you agree? ;)

ISOHaven, again weird. If I understand the program logic correctly - it cannot work with explorer started with admin privileges since it works with user privileges. I see no way you cannot reproduce the bug...

And yeah - not everything will appear in the dock because they have different runners

I know it's not a bug and the tiny line looks different with different themes. It's just so less tiny, quite awkward with basic and high contrast themes. If bothered, blame Windsows 8 entirely.

I'm afraid I don't have a problem with it at all. It's just how the line is rendered. In fact, ex7forW8 did the same thing on Server 2012.

I'm afraid I don't have a problem with it at all. It's just how the line is rendered. In fact, ex7forW8 did the same thing on Server 2012.

Neither do I have a problem with that style because I normally use normal windows theme. All sorted now. :)

ISOHaven, again weird. If I understand the program logic correctly - it cannot work with explorer started with admin privileges since it works with user privileges. I see no way you cannot reproduce the bug...

And yeah - not everything will appear in the dock because they have different runners

Still no repro. I suggest you create a totally new administrator account and try StartIsBack there. Should be no problem, waiting for your report ...