Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

Still no repro. I suggest you create a totally new administrator account and try StartIsBack there. Should be no problem, waiting for your report ...

Did it - absolutely clean admin. (Just created it)

Same behaviour. Bug confirmed.

Shall I create a video?

Hello ISOHaven,

I don't rename the Start screen. Try killing explorer from cmd and as an admin user. If fails - reboot your system and do it directly after its start. If still fails - kill dwm too.

About my Machine - Windows 8 32 bit Ent. (not sure if anything else is required).

Regards.

I'm also unable to reproduce this bug. Did you make any other changes?

Still no repro. I suggest you create a totally new administrator account and try StartIsBack there. Should be no problem, waiting for your report ...

Did it - absolutely clean admin. (Just created it)

Same behaviour. Bug confirmed.

Shall I create a video?

Let me ask you something obvious just to make sure just in case, do you restart explorer.exe after you have closed it? Because start button ain't supposed to be there with explorer closed.

edit:

Shall I create a video?

Sure, that would be awesome. I'm curious as to what the heck is going on.

Ok, waiting for your video ...

Edited by Servelius

Ok, here it is http://besplsoft.org/content/start_is_back_bug.avi.

P.S. If somebody doubts if this user is a clean user - remember about the programs installed per machine.

Why do you have explorer running more than once? Do you have multiple users logged in? I can try with that scenario but not until later today. Anyone else?

I can confirm starting explorer.exe from elevated cmd.exe makes it start without StartIsBack. Must be some cmd.exe compatibility bits.

However i don't consider this important at all. StartIsBack works with any UAC settings and with UAC completely disabled (EnableLUA=0).

I got repro with 2 admin accounts active.

And with one? As I said there is no difference here, since:

If I understand the program logic correctly - it cannot work with explorer started with admin privileges since it works with user privileges.

Tihiy, it is important. If I want my explorer have admin rights and don't want to disable UAC.

Edited by vit9696

Tihiy, it is important. If I want my explorer have admin rights and don't want to disable UAC.

You understand that when you restart explorer elevated it starts other programs elevated thus UAC is effectively off? If you want to browse folders as administrator, enable 'Launch folder windows in separate process' and launch elevated explorer.

Edited by Tihiy

You understand that when you restart explorer elevated it starts other programs elevated thus UAC is effectively off?

Yes, I do. I don't really need UAC, but Metro stops working correctly without it and that prevents me from disabling it totally.

(and yes, I know that if I start explorer with admin rights metro will stop working too)

Edited by vit9696

Unfortunately there is no way around it for now.

A process elevated by using the UAC mechanism does not load per-user classes during COM activations. For COM applications, this means that the application's COM classes must be installed in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE registry hive if the application is to be used both by non-privileged and privileged accounts.