• Announcements

• xper

MSFN Sponsorship and AdBlockers!   07/10/2016

Dear members, MSFN is made available via subscriptions, donations and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, become a site sponsor and ads will be disabled automatically and by subscribing you get other sponsor benefits.
Tihiy

Start Is Back - 2.1 release

2,084 posts in this topic

Just a question I had, will you some time include the ability for the software to update itself to a newer version? Or the ability to check for updates?

1.0 already checks for new versions and will show a notice in the configurator if new version is available.

Is there any chance that in the next version we can add our own custom User Picture frame, the default one is very ugly in the explorer.exe and with no way to change that at the moment it really sucks, I noticed that with Start8 they added there own custom frame for the user picture, I would like to make this Windows 8 start menu with a nice matching windows 8 style user picture frame, if you can help with that at all it would be great mate, even if it was a separate app to StartIsBack

Less is more!

I think the best is totally like native win7 Start menu,enough

the more features, the more complex

My point was before I got shouted at was , why not stick with Windows 7 instead of hacking Windows 8 to make it look like 7?

In the purpose of keeping this thread-hijacking to a minimum I'm gonna ignore all of the rest and focus only on this.

Because like I told you in the post directly above yours, Windows 8 introduces a pretty big number of improvements "under the hood". To put it as simply as possible, Windows 8 is faster than 7, more stable than 7 and supports technologies that, in the last 3 years have become the new standards in computing, out of the box.

To set up Windows 7 on my PC I needed an hour for the installation of Windows and drivers alone, then another hour or two for the necessary tweaking. For Windows 8 I LITERALLY went for a drink of water and when I got back my PC was already in the log-on screen waiting to create a new user account, after which everything *just worked*.

It indeed is your prerogative to think that the only choices are between an older and slower OS versus an OS that looks like it was designed by a 3-year old, however the rest of us here actually do know better.

So, as it is clear that we can only agree to disagree, I would respectfully ask you to stop spamming a thread that is supposed to be about a specific piece of software whose sole purpose is to restore functionality that you appear to have no use for.

Thank you.

To be fair and to balance this out, windows 7 is the same for me all devices work out of the box.

However the difference is for me windows 7 needs minimal work to get the GUI to my liking, windows 8 needs a 3rd party app such as start is back as well as other tweaks to get it to run as well as windows 7, and even then there is a lack of aero, lost functions which i think cant be patched back in and bits of metro in desktop windows, eg. try loading a file extension that has no app, you get what looks like a beta metro window. Over 30 functions have been removed from windows 7 to windows 8, the start menu is just the most publicised one.

I am also curious what new SSD features windows 8 has over windows 7, leaner faster? very generic terms. On all physical machiones and VM's I have tested on windows 7 is faster. except in certian optimised situations win8 can boot very fast other then that it looks weaker to me no performance. I certianly have not found anything thats made me drop windows 7 to upgrade. hyper-v stuff looks 'interesting' but thats about it.

If windows 8 is ready to use out of the box, why are you on this thread? if you using this app then windows 8 isnt ready for you to use out of the box.

Hi

I want to install version 1.0, but i don't know how to uninstall beta 4. Can you help me?

Thank you.

Edited by scureza

with no way to change that at the moment it really sucks

Yeah there is. All my users have their user tile showing. PM me if you want the code. But I'm on vacation until thursday. The code is at work.

Hi

I want to install version 1.0, but i don't know how to uninstall beta 4. Can you help me?

Thank you.

If you installed it properly you can just go to add/remove programs and remove it. Either way you just can install on top of it. It'll work fine.

If you installed it properly you can just go to add/remove programs and remove it. Either way you just can install on top of it. It'll work fine.

I can't find it in add/remove programs, in beta 1 there was an uninstall.reg file, and if i try to install version 1.0 on beta 4, it works only for the current user.

I can't find it in add/remove programs, in beta 1 there was an uninstall.reg file, and if i try to install version 1.0 on beta 4, it works only for the current user.

Are you using a 1.0 key for those other users?

You can install 1.0 and uninstall it to get choice on installation type.

You can install 1.0 and uninstall it to get choice on installation type.

OK, it works, thank you.

When using the search menu and i fx. search for garmin i want it to show the folders thats actually are in the start menu and not only what filetypes has the name garmin in it i think thats a bug? I would like it to show folders too, perhaps make an option to include folders and files when searching?

I am also curious what new SSD features windows 8 has over windows 7, leaner faster? very generic terms. On all physical machiones and VM's I have tested on windows 7 is faster. except in certian optimised situations win8 can boot very fast other then that it looks weaker to me no performance. I certianly have not found anything thats made me drop windows 7 to upgrade. hyper-v stuff looks 'interesting' but thats about it.

There are no new SSD features in Windows 8. I think he's referring to the launch propaganda Microsoft made about the new hybrid boot mode being "amazing" on an SSD

Edited by Shane

Hi

Thank you.

Sorry mate you misunderstand me, I am not talking about the user picture, I am referring to the frame surrounding it in the start menu, the one with the curved sides and rounded corners that has been left over from Windows 7 and Vista, although I would like to be able to change the user picture there as well and I know that is possible, thanks :)

@Tihiy I realize that some of my requests are probably not what you had in mind for StartIsBack and minimal is probably best for most users but maybe you could consider bringing out a customizers edition with added features, I have a very powerful machine as do many others and extra features would not impact performance at all on our machines and I think it will increase popularity in the customizing community with these added features, I think you should also talk to PandaX about the possible bundling of this program with Windows Style Builder 6 for theme builders.

Hi i totally love your program but miss only a thing to be perfect, you need to add silent/unattend switch so i can make a DVD that kill metro first to see it :)

Please do it fast :)

Edit: my confusion.

Hi i totally love your program but miss only a thing to be perfect, you need to add silent/unattend switch so i can make a DVD that kill metro first to see it :)

Please do it fast :)

I think he's planning on it eventually, but don't quote me on that.

Edited by roirraW "edor" ehT

Bug1: Press start-orb one-times, start menu appears...press it another time, start menu will be closed...but if you moving then cursor on the bottom edge of start-orb you will get this (if you press 3rd time - somewhere on desktop, it will be fixed!)

Reproduced, and I've noticed this but didn't realize what reproduced it.

I still didn't. Any more specific settings or video demo? :angel

Bug1: Press start-orb one-times, start menu appears...press it another time, start menu will be closed...but if you moving then cursor on the bottom edge of start-orb you will get this (if you press 3rd time - somewhere on desktop, it will be fixed!)

Reproduced, and I've noticed this but didn't realize what reproduced it.

I still didn't. Any more specific settings or video demo? :angel

Probably the start menu orb is detached by the taskbar as I saw in his post (#678 from page 34).

Edit: Also, can you test if the bug from post #689 can be reproduced on your machine?

Thanks!

Edited by radix

You only need 2 things to get windows 8 to be good,

Start is back and explorer2 from Zabcat (install takes over from installed explorer) :whistle:

It's not actually a bug. I gave away my old wireless Microsoft desktop recently set so I can't tell you exactly where to go, but you have to launch the Mouse settings in Intellipoint, and reconfigure the middle mouse button to just do a normal middle click, instead of the flip 3D or whatever function Intellipoint makes default nowadays.

If someone has installed IntelliPoint, then he WANT'S another behaviour as mouse-click on middle button - otherwise there's no need to install IntelliPoint :yes:

I don't want to change my "complete" system settigs to make SIB working well.

I still didn't.

Maybe you got another version of SIB!? :whistle: In regular 1.0 the bug is definitly present.

Any more specific settings

No! Only that I've shown.

video demo?

No - no need for that! Please test as descriped - it's pretty easy and reproduceable.

Edit: Also, can you test if the bug from post #689 can be reproduced on your machine?

If the option "Auto-hide the taskbar" is checked, I can't unhide it by moving the mouse cursor in the taskbar area where the start orb is located.

Moving the cursor on the right of that area will popup the taskbar.

Same here!

Edited by geneticplasma

Edit: my confusion.

IntelliPoint: Maybe it could be so or how ever, but then he should not provide this behaviour as a "great" feature, wihout any limitation. Today most people has installed mouse-software and use other/modern behaviour on middle-button as the oldschool ones: "click"! And not all users, are developers and know technical background - they only notice, that provided function isn't present.

Video: What will a video more shown, as written description? Double click on start orb, move to bottom edge, detached start orb? It only shows the behaviour on your machine too. So nothing else!

Edited by geneticplasma

Edit: I was confused.

Edit: REALLY, really confused now.

If the option "Auto-hide the taskbar" is checked, I can't unhide it by moving the mouse cursor in the taskbar area where the start orb is located.

Moving the cursor on the right of that area will popup the taskbar.

This is what I meant to reply that I had reproduced most recently.

This is what I meant to reply that I had reproduced most recently.

Yeah, i can reproduce autounhide not working on start orb and will have it fixed.

Displacing orb is an issue specific to geneticplasma system. Sounds like easily reproduce-able bug but nobody did found it, so he should try to help us by finding the culprit which steals orbs.

Middle mouse button not working for me either. Other than that, great program :)

To those having trouble with middle-mouse button not working to open the Start/Apps:

Do you:

1. Have Apps checkmarked so the Start Screen shows Apps only? Just curious since I do and it works for me, and for some others?

2. Does it only not work the first time you middle-click on the Start Button? Have you tried multiple times?

3. Do you have SiB installed for your user only or for all users?

For me it don't work anymore:

1. Have tested - don't work.

2. One an multiple press does not work

3. Current User/All Users - nothing changed.

Note: I have MS-Mouse and have MS-Mouse and Keyboard Center installed.

Edit: Found out - this issue comes, if IntelliPoint or newer MS-Mouse & Keybord Center is installed.

Is it possible to do a fix in SIB for that???

@geneticplasma Okay, this is why I thought you were referring to middle-clicking on the Start Button to open the Start Screen/Apps Screen. I'm really confused now. :blink: