Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

Ok, here it is http://besplsoft.org/content/start_is_back_bug.avi .

P.S. If somebody doubts if this user is a clean user - remember about the programs installed per machine.

Edit (**** dot became a part of the url)

Just for reference:

That's certainly an odd one. No clue why I can't reproduce it. Do you see me doing anything wrong?

I got repro with 2 admin accounts active.

And with one? As I said there is no difference here, since:

If I understand the program logic correctly - it cannot work with explorer started with admin privileges since it works with user privileges.

I have 2 accounts with administrator privileges. With only 1 account logged I don't get that bug.

ISOHaven, even so O_o...

Is your built-in adminstrator account active?

And try checking your registry

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
"Start_ShowMyGames"=dword:00000000

Originally it appears only here, but if you have it somewhere else (in HKLM maybe or on another user~?)

ISOHaven, even so O_o...

Is your built-in adminstrator account active?

And try checking your registry

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
"Start_ShowMyGames"=dword:00000000

Originally it appears only here, but if you have it somewhere else (in HKLM maybe or on another user~?)

Yes, as you can see in the video that account is active.

Not sure where you're going with that registry key but yes, I have that.

That is the main reason then....

Do you have any files in

%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\StartIsBack

folder? (I'm not sure about the path though, as I remember - windows 7 had built-in adminstrator files somewhere in C:\Windows - try searching the dll).

If you find them - that will be your answer.

That is the main reason then....

Do you have any files in

%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\StartIsBack

folder? (I'm not sure about the path though, as I remember - windows 7 had built-in adminstrator files somewhere in C:\Windows - try searching the dll).

If you find them - that will be your answer.

Ok, then install SiB for your admin user. I'm not understanding why anyone would ever do such a thing??? Kill explorer, then try to run explorer as admin user.

I think Tihiy hit the nail on the head when he said it's a non issue. If your needs are that specific then just install SiB for your admin user....or whatever user you're wanting to launch explorer from.

To answer your question, yes, SiB is installed for my admin user and well as the ISOHaven user.

So that should wrap that up. SiB wont run for any user of which it's not installed for. That's pretty much common sense.

If you are asking for the installer to be machine wide then....that ball is in Tihiy's court.

Hi Everyone!

I might have found a bug when the top screen edge is disabled. When using the mouse to select items on the Desktop (click and drag box), you cannot start the box from the top of the screen. The box can, however, be started from either the top left or right corners. I noticed this behavior in both Beta 3 and 4.

Hi Everyone!

I might have found a bug when the top screen edge is disabled. When using the mouse to select items on the Desktop (click and drag box), you cannot start the box from the top of the screen. The box can, however, be started from either the top left or right corners. I noticed this behavior in both Beta 3 and 4.

Reproduced, however I'm not sure this is an issue since I can start the box just a few pixels down from the top and still be able to select the same icons I would've wanted to anyway.

Attached you'll find a visual of the translucency issue

That's not an issue, that's just the lack of special handling for RP. In RTM it looks as intended.

Please try to describe flickering. Does only top-left 20x20 corner trigger it? Does flickering happen when you move mouse or when it stays also? Do you have any tweakers installed? Try downloading skip metro suite and check if it running it resolves the issue.

Not top left (as in started apps), the flicker happens when I untick "enable top screen edge (snap)" and mouse over the area that would normally switch the pointer to the hand image. The flickering happens regardless of whether the pointer stays static or moves and happens to all the icons and shortcuts on the desktop but nothing else, not the gadgets, not the mouse pointer, not the taskbar nor the wallpaper.

I installed several start menu programs before this but I always uninstalled the previous program before installing the newer one. Also, I tried the skip metro suite but it doesn't work at all, I choose hot-spots to hide but there's no effect.

Like I said in my previous post I am still on build 8400, will buy and install the RTM version this weekend (already bought a new SSD for it) and do a clean install (the 8400 was an upgrade from Windows 7) and retest everything then.

This is a bit off topic but just wanted to see if we can get another feature request, I have noticed with Windows 8 that some of the exe files do not like to be changed in any way, I always change my default icons from those horrible yellow ones from the 80's but I can not change the one for explorer.exe and as your reintroducing the start button then maybe there is a way for you to add the explorer icon also, I know it's not something everyone would want but it will add even more value for me any many other that I know who love to customize every last icon lol

Reproduced, however I'm not sure this is an issue since I can start the box just a few pixels down from the top and still be able to select the same icons I would've wanted to anyway.

Thanks for confirming.

Messing around, I found the right-click menu in the same area does not work either. My thinking is that although the snap bar feature is disabled, the small graphical area at the top of the screen is still being "reserved" by Windows/Metro.

@Tihiy - just wanted to say thanks for the program. Having the Start Menu while being able to take advantage of Windows 8's "under-the-hood" improvements has been great.

A very small bug:

- boot up your system and wait for startup to fully load

- press your hotkey (Ctr-Win in my case) to invoke Metro screen = the very first time you press it only the dark blue screen flashes but Metro doesn't come out. The second and all other times the Metro screen launches fine. Until reboot when again, the first time you hit the Metro key it brings up no Metro. Then it works fine again untill next reboot.

Has anyone else had it, or is it mine only?

Same thing happened to me a little bit ago then I remembered reading your post. :) It looks like the Metro screen opens then closes quickly. Second time and on, works as expected. I'm running Beta 4.