Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

I can confirm starting explorer.exe from elevated cmd.exe makes it start without StartIsBack. Must be some cmd.exe compatibility bits.

However i don't consider this important at all. StartIsBack works with any UAC settings and with UAC completely disabled (EnableLUA=0).

I got repro with 2 admin accounts active.

And with one?

With only one account active, the one I've created with the administrator privileges, with UAC on, I don't get that bug. I end 'explorer.exe' process and then restart it from the task manager, and in this case the orbit shows up fine.

Hm..... why to install it on user?

It's a better idea per user than for the entire machine because not every user may want it, and the app hasn't been ironed out yet. For the final installer, it could be worth allowing to choose whether you want it for the current user only or for all.

I think I found a bug in Beta 4:

When I right click on something in the start menu and then close the context menu (by hitting ESC or Alt or by a left click somewhere else in the start menu), the start menu flickers and stays open when I click on the orb. Then, if I click on it again, it closes.

When I right click on something in the start menu and then close the context menu (by hitting ESC or Alt or by a left click somewhere else in the start menu), the start menu flickers and stays open when I click on the orb. Then, if I click on it again, it closes.

Reproduced. I don't even have to close the context menu to get the flicker and stay open when I click on the orb.

With only one account active, the one I've created with the administrator privileges, with UAC on, I don't get that bug. I end 'explorer.exe' process and then restart it from the task manager, and in this case the orbit shows up fine.

I think that one was pretty much solved (scroll up). Basically he was trying to run SiB from a user that didn't have SiB installed. He didn't have SiB installed for the admin account he was elevating to, so the proper files were not where they belonged.

I uninstalled SiB for my local admin user and only then was I able to repo his issue.

So it's not a bug. He just needs to install SiB for "ALL" the users in which he intends to use SiB.

Gotta admit though, that one was a good one!

It would seem that the majority of the people here would rather keep it on a per user level. I dunno, I find that to be annoying. But again, I'm an admin with over 300 machines so I'm not exactly using my machines like a home user would. I'll have SiB installed for all machines for local admin (upon setup) and for the current user. Lets say there's an update.....I have no way of installing the update to both users on each machine. The only way I can do that is to install it for all users all the time. Anyone who works with GP knows that's a royal PITA! But I digress. Whatever is easiest for the average user, that's what I always say.

My wish list would include that when installing, there be a choice to install for all users or just the current user. Also that the settings could be backed up and restored, and even have the option that settings be applied to all users not just the current user.

Edited by roirraW "edor" ehT

settings be applied to all users not just the current user.

Good one!

Another reason it's important for me to have consistency for all users is for when a user logs into a machine for the first time. Lets say a user works from another desk that day. They log in and if the app is then installed from GP then it's not fully setup for that user. It wont be exactly like it was on their normal desktop. That causes confusion. Also, the app wouldn't be licensed. So if that user uses that machine 30 days later...poof. I get a phone call.

So yeah, it would also be important that if we ever get an install for all users that there also be a set settings for all users.

But I'm guessing all that is for the next version and not the personal version.

Edited by ISOHaven

It would seem that the majority of the people here would rather keep it on a per user level. I dunno, I find that to be annoying. But again, I'm an admin with over 300 machines so I'm not exactly using my machines like a home user would. I'll have SiB installed for all machines for local admin (upon setup) and for the current user. Lets say there's an update.....I have no way of installing the update to both users on each machine. The only way I can do that is to install it for all users all the time. Anyone who works with GP knows that's a royal PITA! But I digress. Whatever is easiest for the average user, that's what I always say.

I prefer it for the current user. This way I can have accounts without the start menu. Sure quite a few people will prefer it for all users, while the rest will need it only per user; therefore, it's a good idea to let choose during nstallation of StartIsBack.

If installed for all users, how about adding a prompt upon logging in asking which style they prefer?

What if StartIsBack installer gives users that choice?

If you right click anywhere on Windows 7 start menu panel and then click the orbit, the menu just closes. Unlike StartIsBack which in this case does not close but refreshes the menu instead. Remember, Tihiy had fixed the bug when the menu would sporadically auto-close on its own.

Can users please help me reproduce this issue?

I had issues with StartIsBack while running games in fullscreen windowed mode. While you're ingame and hit the windows key to bring up the task bar and then click another application like Chrome, nothing happens, the only way to get out is to alt tab. This doesn't happen always, but its somewhere around 50% of the time. Back to Start8 for me.
Edited by Tihiy

* Use msstyles with natively skinned start menu

Does it mean I can change the skin of the start menu using a custom msstyles theme from Windows 7? If so, how?

That would make it perfect.

Edited by Aaaaa

I managed to reproduce the second on beta 4 just now.
Thanks. Although i don't need second to be reproduced, it's fixed already next version.
Does it mean I can change the skin of the start menu using a custom msstyles theme from Windows 7? If so, how?
Ask MrGRIM. Windows 7 msstyles can't be used directly, they have to be converted, and uxstyle needs to be used.

I had issues with StartIsBack while running games in fullscreen windowed mode. While you're ingame and hit the windows key to bring up the task bar and then click another application like Chrome, nothing happens, the only way to get out is to alt tab. This doesn't happen always, but its somewhere around 50% of the time. Back to Start8 for me.

No repro here, my steps:

1). Launch "Sniper Elite V2". Start the game play.

2) Hit "LWin" key, the result was it took me to the desktop with the start menu opened.

So LWin works perfectly for me. No problem.

No repro here, my steps:

1). Launch "Sniper Elite V2". Start the game play.

2) Hit "LWin" key, the result was it took me to the desktop with the start menu opened.

So LWin works perfectly for me. No problem.

Have tried Sniper V2 and Crysis 2, both modes full-screen and windowed, no repro. LWin takes me to the desktop with the start menu opened. I can launch other apps but mind it's normal that a windowed 3d mode is the top most, so other windows may be covered by it.