Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

I've crated a button for who prefers (like me) the small taskbar layout. I'm using it and I find it more appropriate for the Windows 8 'flat' style.

Here's a preview, if somebody likes it I can upload it here or maybe submit it to the StartIsBack author. :-)

AG0z1.png

I've crated a button for who prefers (like me) the small taskbar layout. I'm using it and I find it more appropriate for the Windows 8 'flat' style.

Here's a preview, if somebody likes it I can upload it here or maybe submit it to the StartIsBack author. :-)

AG0z1.png

I would like to find a nice one like that, that animates.

StartIsBack would not have anything to do with Java not working in IE10, would it?

The java test says that Java cannot run in metro-mode and that is has to be run in desktop mode...

But I am running it in desktop mode...

Cheers.

One more small error (I believe). Text inputted into the Start Menu's search box is the same color as the "Search programs and files" message string. I believe the text shouldn't be the same color. It should be black, not grey. Old eyes on an old man.

EDIT: Maybe this behavior is now default in Windows 8. Other search boxes also have this behavior. Ugh. MS made icons smaller and text harder to see...

Edited by rickytang

It used to work like that for me too but not anymore. They open normally in the metro search, but not in the start menu. I have no idea what caused it so I don't know how to reproduce it. I have tried rebooting and uninstalling and reinstalling the menu and still it works like this. Other than that it works great so it's only a minor annoyance.

It would be great if you could outline the exact steps to get that bug - this way bugs are located and get fixed. You could create a new user account to try StartIsBack there, and see what's different in it.

Works fine with a new user. I tried killing all the processes that are open in the regular user account but not in the new one, but still does not work. I have no idea what else is different, sorry that I can't be of more help.

Very good job :thumbup I really like it.

Maybe it's possible/welcome, to add an option for switching GUI-language incl. context-menü, if right-click on start-button!?

I know, most options are OS-depended (and thats very good) but unfortunately not all.

I think, here are many users different nationality, who are able to translate the therms. For example, I can translate into german.

:hello: geneticplasma

Edited by geneticplasma

BUG: I get the following Error window 'The specified program requires a newer version of Windows' message if

1. I try to uninstall StartIsBack

2. I right-click the start button and select Start Menu Properties,

siberror.jpg

Any solution?

I'm running Window 8 Pro with Media Centre. It was loaded from the MSDN DVD (build 9200), activated with a license, then the 'for a limited time only' free media centre bundle license applied and some Windows updates were applied too.

Otherwise am enjoying Start Is Back :)

EDIT: FIXED!! For some reason my \users\<user>\appdata\local\startisback\startisbackcfg file was running in Win7 compatibility mode. Removing that option gets rid of the above error.

Edited by nando4

VIRUS! AVG threw up a Cyptor Virus Warning on startisback.dll -- Is this a false positive or is this thing infected??

False positive. It's been reported before.

Ok thanks for the quick reply - I must have missed where this was already posted in the thread.

I think I found a bug. If I search for a file in the Start Menu's search field, for example, "Integrator", I find "Windows Download Integrator_2.9r.rar". If I then LEFT or RIGHT-click the file and drag it to the taskbar to pop-up an already open (but not in front) window of say File Explorer, and then attempt to drop the file anywhere in this window, it'll never drop no matter where you try. The icon (and associated text) keep following the mouse pointer until you just move down to the taskbar. From that point on the icon and text are gone.

Now if the File Explorer or other file management GUI window is already in front and I drag with either left or right-click the file from the Start Menu's search to this already in front window, then it works perfectly.

Is this StartIsBack's bug or Windows 8's?