Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

Small but important announcement

I'm changing activation system for v1.0final so both motherboard UID and HDD serial number are taken into account. Replacing hard drive OR motherboard won't require reactivation and won't count as new computer. I hope this solution will suit better.

Activation service will be taken offline several hours before v1.0 release which should happen in several days. Existing beta/RC activations will not require reactivation with v1.0 final.

So...if you get a new computer but first use the old hard drive to get Windows up and running then run SiB on the old HDD and input the key then it would still count as the same activation because it's the same HDD? But it would then update the MB with the activation? Then you could swap out the HDD with a new HDD and get SiB up and running again and again the activation would still count as the same because now the MB is still the same?

Hmm... I've sent you a german translation.

When I started translating, your "Have Translators" list didn't contain german.

When I was looking at the list after I've sent you the translation it did...

I'm changing activation system for v1.0final so both motherboard UID and HDD serial number are taken into account. Replacing hard drive OR motherboard won't require reactivation and won't count as new computer. I hope this solution will suit better.

Activation service will be taken offline several hours before v1.0 release which should happen in several days. Existing beta/RC activations will not require reactivation with v1.0 final.

While this seems a better solution than previously, I have a question nonetheless.

If sometime following my initial StartIsBack installation I replace or upgrade my system drive, is the new serial number taken into account along with the motherboard's UID?

My concern is that in addition to someone upgrading or replacing their system drive (very likely), their motherboard suddenly requires an RMA (not as likely, but still a possibility).

I am thinking back to last year, when after replacing a failed SSD I was able to reinstall and reactivate Windows 7 without any problems. However, Intel then issued a recall on motherboards with the Sandy Bridge chipset, and after receiving my B3 replacement, I had to call into Microsoft to reactivate as a significant hardware change was detected.

Thanks!

Congrats on releasing RC 1!! Upgraded from Beta 4 and everything went smoothly.

StartIsBack intended final pricing: $5 for a license key for 5 PCs. $3 for a license key for 2 PCs.

I think the pricing is reasonable, glad to see you are offering licenses for multiple PCs. :thumbup

I understand you are probably still working on the online activation, but will we be able to manage activations online? For example, if I purchase a 5 PC license and activate 5 PCs, will there be a way to deactivate a PC and re-activate another (still 5 PCs total)?

Hi,

Firstly I'm having a little trouble with adding orbs; the Add button does not work. It opens a dialog and I can select a .bmp, but nothing happens when do that. I can work around it by moving the file to the orbs folder. Also is there any indication as to which ones will work? For example http://ainq.deviantart.com/art/Silk-Orb-278586696 works, whereas the ones in http://drovinth.deviantart.com/art/Sliding-Start-Orb-260974030 don't. Anything I should look for when I'm importing?

Secondly, and not at all related to orbs, I have my task bar on my second screen on the far left of my dual-monitor setup. When I right click on the orb, the menu appears on far right. No biggie. It's just a bit weird.

Lastly, with the "enable top screen edge" option, would it be possible to add that to all screens in a multi-monitor setup and be able to drag down from whichever monitor you want? Sometimes I use the Modern UI on my primary monitor and sometime (if I'm playing a game), I use it on my secondary monitor.

That said, I'm loving this program. As soon as you get the final version and running, I'll register right away.

Then you could swap out the HDD with a new HDD and get SiB up and running again and again the activation would still count as the same because now the MB is still the same?

No. Activation stays until either MB UID or HDD serial stays (and detected).
I understand you are probably still working on the online activation, but will we be able to manage activations online? For example, if I purchase a 5 PC license and activate 5 PCs, will there be a way to deactivate a PC and re-activate another (still 5 PCs total)?
Not planning this for Personal Edition.
If I buy a five user licence, can I activate two licences now and the remaining three at a later date?
Whenever.
Firstly I'm having a little trouble with adding orbs; the Add button does not work. It opens a dialog and I can select a .bmp, but nothing happens when do that. I can work around it by moving the file to the orbs folder. Also is there any indication as to which ones will work? For example http://ainq.devianta...k-Orb-278586696 works, whereas the ones in http://drovinth.devi...t-Orb-260974030 don't. Anything I should look for when I'm importing?

That's the problem with security of Orbs folder for all users install, will be fixed. If you copy files there manually, it will see only bmp files. Edited by Tihiy