Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

You can contact me startisback at gmail dot com

I'm disappointed about the lack of the email support.

4 days ago I wrote an email about my availability to translate it in italian + a feature request, but now it seems just too late.

Edited by Max_04

I'm disappointed about the lack of the email support.

4 days ago I wrote an email about my availability to translate it in italian + a feature request, but now it seems just too late.

Sorry.

Middle mouse button not working for me either. Other than that, great program :)

To those having trouble with middle-mouse button not working to open the Start/Apps:

Do you:

1. Have Apps checkmarked so the Start Screen shows Apps only? Just curious since I do and it works for me, and for some others?

2. Does it only not work the first time you middle-click on the Start Button? Have you tried multiple times?

3. Do you have SiB installed for your user only or for all users?

Edited by roirraW "edor" ehT

I am very hesitant to forcefully pay for apps that add features that really should be in the OS that I have already paid for

... so in essence you want to use Tihy's program, but since MS decided to SCREW you, you want to SCREW him?

Why pay for Win8 then?

did you read the rest of my post?

there are penty of people who have developed excellent free apps that restore lost windows functionality and accept donations. I have always donated to apps I use regurly.

This may shock you but some people make programs to 'help' others and that is satisiaction enough.

I will pay for this app if its reasonable however if it becomes too unrealistic to pay for it to be on 2 machines and test VM envrionments then I will avoid it as I wont have mix and match with it on some and not others. He also has the danger of people just cracking it if the price is unreasonable.

[...] so all I ask is that you do price it reasonably and to allow use on multiple machines with one purchase instead of forcing activation per machine because then it can quickly become very expensive.

I totally agree with that. If I were you (Tihiy) I would use a login system instead of serial keys... That way you would allow use on multiple machine and monitor how many are running using that account.

...Every program is crackable, no matter how many protection/obfuscation techniques you use there will always be someone to bypass them you know, there's a great chance that those people who want to use your product on multiple machine but can't without purchasing a new license will just download a cracked version somewhere... Just saying

Man you guys are the RUDEST EVER... Just saying ...

likewise I consider it rude for the comments you posted when we posting suggestions.

You are a member of another forum I am on and you can see I donated to hotfix repositories as well as the win toolkit projects, so I find it odd you think I am a freeloader. I just respect not everyone can afford to pay, I usually actually donate large amounts to compensate for those that use apps free. I have donated 100s of euros to donationware.

35 Donators have received license key for StartIsBack. Please check your mail and spam folders, contact me if you have troubles.

StartIsBack license key is verified online and tied to your PC. License key allows limited amount of PCs you can activate. PCs are distinguished by HDD physical serial number your OS is installed to (that's likely gonna change for 1.0 final)

StartIsBack activation does not collect information about your hardware or software nor does it "phone home".

Those who donated $1 have received license key for 1 PC; $5 - 5PCs; $10 - 10PCs, you get it.

Donation offer is no longer in action. You should be able to buy StartIsBack in a few days, if RC testing goes well. Proper website is coming too.

If you have received license key, please help me test all users activation scenario - does activating program installed for all users work.

StartIsBack intended final pricing: $5 for a license key for 5 PCs. $3 for a license key for 2 PCs.

Feel free to comment if it's the right price, but please don't turn this thread into mess.

I feel thats quite reasonable actually. ;) and is good you happy to listen to suggestions, I was just trying to make your app be an attractive pricepoint.

I have also spread awareness to other places reccomending this app.

The problem is like others have said how it idenitifes the hdd, eg. is this going to think its on a new PC everytime I do new installs in a VM? This is the major bug bear of tieing software down to PC's using activation.

How about you do add a phone home as an alternative check that if the user agrees to so if eg. a 5 PC license, if you have 5 calling home already then a 6th cant activate. If the user tries to be clever eg. blocking in firewall then it deactivates. This obviously would be a online only version but an alternative to using hardware ID's.

Edited by Chrysalis

I believe the price is fair, very fair actually with its' two price points.

As for activation, most hardware-id bound activations usually use 3 points of verification, a HDD (that may or may NOT be the boot hdd as some -like myself- replace the previous boot hdd with a newer/faster one but still keep the old one in the pc as a data dump), the motherboard and a 3rd one, usually it's the graphics card although some machines don't have one (on-board graphics) in which case sth else is used (like a 2nd HDD or the Windows installation itself) or only the two are used.

The activation hold so long as at least one of the three parts is still in use. The activation doesn't carry on to newer parts that replaced older ones while the rest were kept. When all three the motherboard, graphics card and hdd (or whatever) leave the system it's a new system and that is it.

Edited by Keeperos

Found annoying bug while testing StartIsBack 1.0RC in Win8 Pro build 9200

If taskbar is set to "Auto-hide the taskbar" then desktop bottom left corner does not trigger taskbar to show.

Reproduced. Likely an side-effect of disabling the bottom left corner from showing the Metro/Modern UI/Microsoft Design Language thumbnail, but it won't surprise me if Tihiy can fix this.

No. Activation stays until either MB UID or HDD serial stays (and detected).

Stays? I was referring to reinstalling windows to the same hardware.

If you have SiB running on a system and you reinstall Windows with a new mainboard but the same HDD....is that the same activation? Then once activated does the NEW mainboard become the current mainboard since you used the same HDD? If not then you'll still have the same problem except you just added another piece of hardware.

Oh the joys of DRM! :P

If you have SiB running on a system and you reinstall Windows with a new mainboard but the same HDD....is that the same activation
Yes.

If you have SiB running on a system and you reinstall Windows with a new mainboard but the same HDD....is that the same activation? Then once activated does the NEW mainboard become the current mainboard since you used the same HDD? If not then you'll still have the same problem except you just added another piece of hardware.

No, it won't become the current otherwise that loophole will allow to activate unlimited number of computers. Resolving this would require constant activation internet checking or involving some difficult methods. You want too much for $1. Edited by Tihiy

Found annoying bug while testing StartIsBack 1.0RC in Win8 Pro build 9200

If taskbar is set to "Auto-hide the taskbar" then desktop bottom left corner does not trigger taskbar to show.

Yes, I first found that and reported it back in Beta3 while using the RP (8400) version. However I found that if you click there, the start menu still turns up so it basically is an aesthetics rather than a functionality issue.

If you drag the mouse pointer bottom down you want to press the start button and if you click there the start button will still be pressed so it's ok.

Edited by Keeperos

No, it won't become the current otherwise that loophole will allow to activate unlimited number of computers. Resolving this would require constant activation internet checking or involving some difficult methods. You want too much for $1.

That would only be true if you did not DEactivate the old hardware. If you deactivate the old piece of hardware (update the activation to the current specs thus pushing out the old) then you could not activate an unlimited number of machines. Instead a user could guarantee that THEY are always activated. It's call a round robin activation scheme.

User first installs software

License Key 1 - Activated to MB A and HDD A

User changes MB

License Key 1 - Activated to MB B and HDD A (MB A is no longer in the picture and HDD A was valid)

User Changes HDD

License Key 1 - Activated to MB B and HDD B (MB B was valid thus HDD was updated)

User Changes entire computer

License Key 1 - Activation Invalid (requires new key)