Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

Why?? Just use Windows 7... Just don't really understand the point of removing the functionality of Windows 8

but I guess everyone has their own taste...

yes, putting the start button back and making it Windows 7 again.

very good.

Oh for crying out loud, what is it with all the negativity?

YES, there IS a point in getting back what we consider to be "lost functionality" in an otherwise (mostly) pretty good upgrade to Windows 7. Windows 8 compared to 7 are faster, leaner and already support natively and out of the box technologies that in Windows 7 you need to patch the cr@p out of like USB3/SATA3 and most importantly of all, SSDs. Yes ladies and gentlemen, Windows 8 are not only SSD aware but also SSD optimized, no longer do you need to crawl through 10 different menus to hunt down 20 different options to tweak Windows behaviour to play nice with SSDs.

Defrag only triggers a TRIM command for SSDs while still defrags as always on normal HDDs, prefetch/superfetch is automatically disabled if the install drive is detected to be an SSD etc. Really the only gray areas still present are pagefile and indexing services.

So yes, Windows 8 is a valid upgrade to 7 from a technological stand-point, especially for the price (30euro? Come on!). That however does not mean we can or should ignore the fact that the design team must have been pretty high on non-prescription drugs with their dubious (to put it mildly) design decisions.

And most recently, Aero, really? What the hell was wrong with the glass effect that they felt they had to wait up 'till the very last moment before ditching?

To sum up, there are roughly that many design flaws as there are tech merits to Windows 8 and I for one don't see why we shouldn't help tip the scales more towards the right direction.

BTW, the whole point of StartIBack is to NOT remove functionality, the Start Screen is still there should you need it for whatever obscure reason...

Edited by Keeperos

I'm not trying to be negative, sorry if I came over that way. I was just trying to understand why put a start button back .. Microsoft with all their years of development and experience must have sat there and thought long and hard about this and made a decision to move forward with the new metro style.

I just think sometimes trying to put back all the things you liked about the previous version is simply going backwards.. I had the same dilemma when they ditched Dreamscene.. I loved that feature, but I got over it eventually and don't even think twice about it now.

Same with Aero glass.. yes it looks nice but to be honest the right thing to do is stay with Windows 7 as that isn't going to go anywhere for awhile yet.. When you consider people are still using XP.

My point was before I got shouted at was , why not stick with Windows 7 instead of hacking Windows 8 to make it look like 7?

And who knows what that might do to the registry when windows updates come out.. it might cause more problems than it is actually worth.

I do understand that ppl like to tweak and they must be really clever to do that, I don't doubt that at all..

Anyway that's my thoughts on it... Why can't I have an alternative opinion about it?

Edited by dubsdj

Microsoft must have thought long and hard about this and made a decision to move forward with the new metro style.

If they would've 'thought long and hard', then they'd know it was a bad idea, as you can tell MS didn't think at all!

Anyway that's my thoughts on it... Why can't I have an alternative opinion about it?

Two reasons:

1. Reality shows us that Metro on a desktop is less productive than the start menu. Especially for people who have to use many applications and for Admins that have to use many "tools".

2. The mere fact that you think staying with Win7 is an option tells most people here that you know very little about Win8.

Based on your logic, MS Paint should be enough for everyone. Why install Adobe Photoshop, right?

It's just a program, a tool. Get over it.

Two reasons:

1. Reality shows us that Metro on a desktop is less productive than the start menu. Especially for people who have to use many applications and for Admins that have to use many "tools".

2. The mere fact that you think staying with Win7 is an option tells most people here that you know very little about Win8.

Based on your logic, MS Paint should be enough for everyone. Why install Adobe Photoshop, right?

It's just a program, a tool. Get over it.

1. No idea how it is any less productive but ok

2. And you are the windows 8 expert obviously?

3. Get over what? From challenging an idea? Why ? That's what a forum is all about.

1. No idea how it is any less productive but ok

2. And you are the windows 8 expert obviously?

3. Get over what? From challenging an idea? Why ? That's what a forum is all about.

1 & 3. Then READ the forum. This has already been brought up before.

2. You don't have to be an expert to READ and know what something is/does. I happen to use many of the new features that come along with Win8. To give them up would be a shame.

1 & 3 .. And so what? I can say something if I like? Just cos somebody else has doesn't mean others can't also ?

2. and I'm sure you do, as I said you are the expert obviously..

But I am sorry but I don't recall anybody saying that the concern is that further down the line that this tweak may actually cause adverse affects when service packs / updates are installed? That's not worth considering then? Just install it on a corporate network and hope for the best..

Good thinking

I actually think my comments may be food for thought to somebody who might be thinking of deploying this tweak on a large scale network.

I remember reading about somebody who tried that with windows blinds back in the day and they bricked a whole suite of computers in an office. :o

Edited by dubsdj

That's not worth considering then?

No, it's not. The worst case scenario is...no more start menu. Been there, done that.

It does not alter the system in any way. Was that your concern? This is not a hack. This does not alter system files. You can turn off the machine. Boot off something else. Go in and delete the app files. The machine will still load as normal and you can just use Metro.

My point was before I got shouted at was , why not stick with Windows 7 instead of hacking Windows 8 to make it look like 7?

In the purpose of keeping this thread-hijacking to a minimum I'm gonna ignore all of the rest and focus only on this.

Because like I told you in the post directly above yours, Windows 8 introduces a pretty big number of improvements "under the hood". To put it as simply as possible, Windows 8 is faster than 7, more stable than 7 and supports technologies that, in the last 3 years have become the new standards in computing, out of the box.

To set up Windows 7 on my PC I needed an hour for the installation of Windows and drivers alone, then another hour or two for the necessary tweaking. For Windows 8 I LITERALLY went for a drink of water and when I got back my PC was already in the log-on screen waiting to create a new user account, after which everything *just worked*.

It indeed is your prerogative to think that the only choices are between an older and slower OS versus an OS that looks like it was designed by a 3-year old, however the rest of us here actually do know better.

So, as it is clear that we can only agree to disagree, I would respectfully ask you to stop spamming a thread that is supposed to be about a specific piece of software whose sole purpose is to restore functionality that you appear to have no use for.

Thank you.

Rather pointless discussion, Windows 8 is a lot better than Windows 7 and I consider SiB a usability enhancement for Windows 8.

Get the best of both worlds.

Anyway I received Tihiy's gift and want to thank him for that and for his hard work, I'm proud to be a (small) part of this project.

Cheers.

Edited by Escorpiom

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue. And to run out of troll-b-gone.

Airplane is always the answer! :thumbup

And then I get hurled abuse that I can't read and I don't have a clue about Windows 8... OK

You guys obviously don't think that this is a concern at all, and IT admins shouldn't consider these things first. Forget I mentioned it then.

No one abused you and no one said you can't read. I said to GO READ. Major difference there.

Also, I am an IT Admin and like I said....none issue.

Did you have any other concerns about the PROGRAM and NOT of Win7?