Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

Given the use of API's built into explorer, people were bound to start reverse engineering it sooner or later. As far as I'm concerned the best thing to do is worry about the project and wait for DRM until you're close to a commercial release. You're not EA.

Pwned is the username of this guy. I can't see any claims that he wrotes the patch.

A beta was released, though it's time limited, so I patched it and made an easy-to-use installer.

you can see on picture that time is freezed

Easy guys, I'm MAXtoriX from BetaArhive (VIP member) Pwned is good member of our society and he properly sign the software developer who made this software and sign he self as that one who patch it.

Here is the proof, and the thread where he clearly write that he isn't developer of this software.

2dalnqe.png

---------------------------------------------------------------------

@Tihiy: How I understand because of hardcoding there isn't possibility this to be installed on Windows 8 RP build 8400. So when you make a new version and when this will be corrected can we accept that this software except what will be possible to install on explorer.exe build 8400 to get and Aero too (because that is the last version before MS drop off aero technology)?

Booo! Now i'll have to delay or cripple Beta 1... :angry:

I wouldn't take it to heart too much. If anything you should be flattered. When I released some of my software for U3 drives, they all got jacked. But that didn't stop the sales. But yeah, this is all part of it and at least that guy gave 100% of the credit to you along with your other explorer project so you can also think of it as exposure and that's always a good thing!

If you need any private testing I'm sure some of us could help you out ;)

from BetaArhive (VIP member)

we don't care what you are there

Pwned is good member of our society

again we don't care

doing something onto either a project or creation of another without original author's permition is disgusting

Edited by vinifera

from BetaArhive (VIP member)

we don't care what you are there

Pwned is good member of our society

again we don't care

doing something onto either a project or creation of another without original author's permition is disgusting

I don't care what are you here

@MAXtoriX: Consider that "liberating" the work of one of the few programmers able to creatively modify/customize/set right MS's impositions on the users at large is a great incentive for that programmer to move on to greener fields and let users fend for themselves... the more so, since he's already given so much to the community, for free. No pilfering can be ever condoned, but Pwned is doing more than just pilfering, he/she is also helping the big software houses have their way unimpeded, by showing any programmer interested in giving the users options that their hard work can never be rewarded. At the end of the day, who is getting actually pwned?

Since it is very convenient to be able to right click on the lower-left corner "Modern UI" thumbnail, normally, to be able to access several tools which aren't in "Administrative Tools" such as Device Manager, and both Command Prompt and Command Prompt as Admin, is there any easy way to keep me from missing that? :) To add all of the missing functions somewhere else?

Just a suggestion, but perhaps it would be better to let Tihiy respond to the betaarchive members in whatever way he feels appropriate. His opinion and response concerning his software is the only one that matters, even if some or all of us agree with some or all of how he feels about it being patched and distributed, which is a clear violation of Tihiy's conditions of testing the beta. I wrote this last night but never hit submit. :D

Since it is very convenient to be able to right click on the lower-left corner "Modern UI" thumbnail, normally, to be able to access several tools which aren't in "Administrative Tools" such as Device Manager, and both Command Prompt and Command Prompt as Admin, is there any easy way to keep me from missing that? :) To add all of the missing functions somewhere else?

Press Win-X. I may combine this menu with right-click startbutton menu in the future.
Just a suggestion, but perhaps it would be better to let Tihiy respond to the betaarchive members in whatever way he feels appropriate.
I did, but answer didn't appear :wacko: Beta 1 is coming later, new features to test and cracking to make more difficult...

Why does the menu close on its own after you stop mouse for a second, what if you need more time to choose a program? That way it screws up the whole idea of a Start Menu. :(

Other than that it works perfectly well. I don't mind error pop ups on first run of configtool.exe, error "can't obtain data..." show up only once or twice so no biggy.

Can I suggest to update the first post when StartIsBack gets updated?

Why does the menu close on its own after you stop mouse for a second, what if you need more time to choose a program? That way it screws up the whole idea of a Start Menu. :(

Other than that it works perfectly well. I don't mind error pop ups on first run of configtool.exe, error "can't obtain data..." show up only once or twice so no biggy.

Can I suggest to update the first post when StartIsBack gets updated?

I'm not having the trouble of the menu closing on it's own. I hovered in one place (over start menu button, over other areas of start menu) for ten seconds without it doing that.

Do you have any third-party mouse driver or mouse-related software?

* Constructive concepts are welcome

Constructive? Don't charge for this.

Put a thousand ads in the installer (only the installer) and you'll get it back :)

Otherwise, people will just pirate it.

I've got to agree with this really.

I understand your efforts to bring it back, I wouldn't mind donating the amount you'd charge for it, simply for the effort, but charging for it I disagree with. It's not about the amount for me, it's about what it means to charge for a replica of someone else's creation.

Though I wouldn't pirate it, I simply wouldn't get it.

Here's my two cents, no offense to anyone:

There are plenty of utilities out there, including some which are charged for, which are replicas.

This actually isn't a replica, to my understanding. It's a combination of what Microsoft left of the Start Menu in the code with Tihiy's work to make it still useable.

I feel that I don't really have a right to an opinion concerning his choice to charge or how to charge. He can do whatever he wants with it. It's due to his work that he brings Microsoft's start menu code back to the UI. He's not charging for Microsoft's code. The code's already in Windows 8. He's charging for his own code which makes the Start Menu available to us, plus any tweaks or fixes or additions for any code that MS actually did remove.

If he decides to go one direction with charging and people don't actually buy it, he'd more than likely reduce the price (although I suspect it won't be very much to begin with) or whatever he decides to do, or change nothing at all. It's his choice, his creation and he can do whatever he wants with it.