Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

StartIsBack has been great in every way for me, and I thought this was a forum specifically for that product. I haven't experienced any of the bugs that have been discussed, but I have learned about most of it's features from reading about them here (the latest being that you can click the middle mouse button on the start button/orb to launch Metro). So anyway, I wanted to thank Tihiy for it, and mention that it seems odd to me that anyone would push his/her own competing product here. So, thanks for creating this product, Tihiy. For me, it has made Windows 8 into the perfect, dual interface, operating system. You should get it patented and sell your work to Microsoft.

If your referring to me then let me state that I am not pushing any competing product, I have talked to Tihiy about making a supporting theme to go with StartIsBack to bring the start menu up to date with how Windows 8 looks, I simply posted it here because this is where it has the most relevance and I hoped people trying StartIsBack would be able to give me some feedback so Tihiy can decide if he would like to package this theme with StartIsBack, I am not in any way requesting money from Tihiy or anyone else, I am doing this to say thank you and to help improve users experience on Windows 8.

Thank you extremely, MrGRiM , those themes look awesome!

Seems there was unscheduled server downtime for several minutes but it should be fine now, hosting is very reliable and there should be no cases of purchases lost.

V1.1RC should come today or tomorrow with several improvements and fixes. RC versions won't be put on site (yet). I'll notify the translators, though.

Thank you extremely, MrGRiM , those themes look awesome!

Seems there was unscheduled server downtime for several minutes but it should be fine now, hosting is very reliable and there should be no cases of purchases lost.

V1.1RC should come today or tomorrow with several improvements and fixes. RC versions won't be put on site (yet). I'll notify the translators, though.

good

To be fair and to balance this out, windows 7 is the same for me all devices work out of the box.

However the difference is for me windows 7 needs minimal work to get the GUI to my liking, windows 8 needs a 3rd party app such as start is back as well as other tweaks to get it to run as well as windows 7, and even then there is a lack of aero, lost functions which i think cant be patched back in and bits of metro in desktop windows, eg. try loading a file extension that has no app, you get what looks like a beta metro window. Over 30 functions have been removed from windows 7 to windows 8, the start menu is just the most publicised one.

I am also curious what new SSD features windows 8 has over windows 7, leaner faster? very generic terms. On all physical machiones and VM's I have tested on windows 7 is faster. except in certian optimised situations win8 can boot very fast other then that it looks weaker to me no performance. I certianly have not found anything thats made me drop windows 7 to upgrade. hyper-v stuff looks 'interesting' but thats about it.

If windows 8 is ready to use out of the box, why are you on this thread? if you using this app then windows 8 isnt ready for you to use out of the box.

There are no new SSD features in Windows 8. I think he's referring to the launch propaganda Microsoft made about the new hybrid boot mode being "amazing" on an SSD

You quoted the wrong post, for the full info answering your questions in detail as I have personally experienced it you should have read post #633.

Now, understanding what that means and evaluating the importance of said improvements is a personal matter but for me they were a valid enough reason for the upgrade. Also, yes, in my personal experience, using my main and most powerful machine, Windows 8 made better use of my hardware and resulted in not only faster loading/shutting-down times but in all-around faster response times. YMMV.

As for out-of-the-box-experience, you might be lucky with your machines but with my Gigabyte Sniper G1, after a fresh windows installation absolutely nothing works out of the box. The SATA3 controller needs a driver loaded to be recognized (even harder considering that's where the old boot HDD and the SSD are connected which means they need to be loaded during install time), USB3 ports don't work, audio doesn't work and ethernet is recognized as a PowerPC cpu.Other things too need taking care of. like newer chipset drivers etc. In windows 8, simply by virtue of how new they still are, all I had to install was the BigFoot Network Manager program for the ethernet. Plus, the Windows installation itself took about a third of the time Windows 7 took to install. SiB took me a total of 1 minute to install and setup. Big whoop!

As for the "Microsoft launch propaganda" I have absolutely no idea what you are referring to so no, that's not it.

@geneticplasma, I know you have given very specific instructions on how to replicate the Orb detach bug every time you do it, so I'm sure it is real. (How you ran across this bug I don't know, since double clicking the Orb has never done anything but open and immediately close the Start Menu in all versions of Windows that I am aware of so I don't know why you would do it, but that's besides the point.) But no one else seems to be able to reproduce it, especially not Tihiy. Until he can, he has no way to try and fix it. Since I have not seen the bug I'm having a hard time visualizing what exactly happens when the bug occurs. Is there any possible way you can make a screen capture video showing what exactly you do and the effect of the bug? The request for this is not to prove that the error occurs, I believe you, but it will help demonstrate the effect and it might trigger some ideas of what is causing it and how to fix it for Tihiy. I'm just trying to help make this tool perfect and bulletproof.

Cheers and Regards

(How you ran across this bug I don't know, since double clicking the Orb has never done anything but open and immediately close the Start Menu in all versions of Windows

This was only a try, to give simple description to you, to reproduce the bug. At first time, I detected the "bug" by accident.

Is there any possible way you can make a screen capture video showing what exactly you do and the effect of the bug?

Yes it is, but I absolutely don't know, how to create a screen capture video.

One very very minor issue I've encountered with a couple of games, sometimes when I start a game and click on the desktop (thus switching focus there) BEFORE the game has loaded and switched to fullscreen the start button orb stays as an overlay over the fullscreened game.

Clicking once while in the game switches the focus back to the game and the orb disappears.

I would hardly even consider it a bug as it has no appreciable effect but I thought I'd put it out there.

hmm guys cool mod I'm trying it but... the store works ok for you? Because I can click and enter but if I right click and go to "my apps" from the bar above I receive a login error...:/

Edited by Aizen