Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

I've a request: can we have some other options in the right click over the orb like windows 8? I founded useful the link to the "internet options" and to System, now we have to go through control panel again to go there, hmm...

Not sure what your looking for but have you tried using the Win+X shortcut?

You quoted the wrong post, for the full info answering your questions in detail as I have personally experienced it you should have read post #633.

Now, understanding what that means and evaluating the importance of said improvements is a personal matter but for me they were a valid enough reason for the upgrade. Also, yes, in my personal experience, using my main and most powerful machine, Windows 8 made better use of my hardware and resulted in not only faster loading/shutting-down times but in all-around faster response times. YMMV.

As for out-of-the-box-experience, you might be lucky with your machines but with my Gigabyte Sniper G1, after a fresh windows installation absolutely nothing works out of the box. The SATA3 controller needs a driver loaded to be recognized (even harder considering that's where the old boot HDD and the SSD are connected which means they need to be loaded during install time), USB3 ports don't work, audio doesn't work and ethernet is recognized as a PowerPC cpu.Other things too need taking care of. like newer chipset drivers etc. In windows 8, simply by virtue of how new they still are, all I had to install was the BigFoot Network Manager program for the ethernet. Plus, the Windows installation itself took about a third of the time Windows 7 took to install. SiB took me a total of 1 minute to install and setup. Big whoop!

As for the "Microsoft launch propaganda" I have absolutely no idea what you are referring to so no, that's not it.

Those features aren't specific to SSD's, they are the same regardless of the type of drive you boot Windows from. My comment still stands, Windows 8 does not have any new SSD features.

I've a request: can we have some other options in the right click over the orb like windows 8? I founded useful the link to the "internet options" and to System, now we have to go through control panel again to go there, hmm...

Not sure what your looking for but have you tried using the Win+X shortcut?

Ah! It's almost the same, but I remember that right-clicking the left-bottom corner before startisback I got other options, like the "internet & connection center" (sorry but I dunno how it's spelled in the english version). It would be useful if we can get the same right-clicking the orb now

Edited by Aizen

Ah! It's almost the same, but I remember that right-clicking the left-bottom corner before startisback I got other options, like the "internet & connection center" (sorry but I dunno how it's spelled in the english version). It would be useful if we can get the same right-clicking the orb now

Just curious, do you have an OEM Windows 8 machine? I mean did you buy a PC with Windows 8 on it that might have been customized by the OEM to be slightly different?

Because here are two pictures of:

Win-X:

windows8prox64winx.th.jpg

Right-clicking the Metro thumbnail:

windows8prox86201211132.th.jpg

See what I mean? They're both the same for me. But if you have an OEM Windows 8 PC, maybe that's why it was different before? Tihiy or anyone else, what do you think?

Edit: FYI I always enter the Internet and Connection settings by right-clicking the system tray/notification tray icon: either LAN or wireless symbol, same thing.

Edited by roirraW "edor" ehT

Does anyone have issue with Win button? After the reboot when I press Win button, Start screen will open instead of Start Menu. When I first installed StartIsBack, pressing Win would open Start menu.

Does anyone have issue with Win button? After the reboot when I press Win button, Start screen will open instead of Start Menu. When I first installed StartIsBack, pressing Win would open Start menu.

No for me, it works good rc version..

No for me, it works good rc version..

I just discovered when this happens for me. It only happens when I use reboot. When I shutdown and start computer everything is fine, but if I use reboot in Start menu, then Win button starts opening Start screen. I fix this behaviour by toggling the option "Rename Start Screen to Apps and keep only modern apps there". But on next reboot, it happens again. Can somebody try to reproduce this?

I just discovered when this happens for me. It only happens when I use reboot. When I shutdown and start computer everything is fine, but if I use reboot in Start menu, then Win button starts opening Start screen. I fix this behaviour by toggling the option "Rename Start Screen to Apps and keep only modern apps there". But on next reboot, it happens again. Can somebody try to reproduce this?

Unable to reproduce so far.

I just tried your instructions with the v1.1RC version, and after a reboot, the Windows key still showed the Start Menu, not the Start Screen. Any more details? Do you have just one Windows key or two (left and right)? If I understand your description correctly, you normally already have the option to have the Start Screen only show Apps, and you have to toggle it off and back on after this happens, is that right? That's what I assumed for my trying to reproduce, I just wanted to make sure i understand correctly.

Try creating a new temporary user account and testing the behavior there. Does it still happen?

I've tested the SiB installation while having two Windows accounts logged in at the same time, on two PCs. In both cases, the user accounts which were left logged in but not used to install SiB were left without Explorer running. This isn't a bug and was fully expected, and all one needs to do at that time is the three-finger salute (Control-Alt-Delete) and choose Log Off.

It's a no-brainer to me to not have other accounts logged in while installing software such as this, just wanted to share the info. The first time was actually a mistake - I forgot I had another account logged in, and on the second PC was to confirm the first PC's results.

Hi, after installing new version(in time when i write this) - i have blue screen with message DRIVER_IRQ_LESS_OR_EQUAL (rndis.sys)

After reboot a has wierd desktop, it was emty - nan icons nan start button, only nvidia in tray :)

I launch task manager, kill explorer and try to start it again - same picture. So, i kill explorer, start total commander, start installation of new version of start is back and now all was fine - Logout - Login - and desktop was pritty :)

Windows 8 x64 rtm.

Hi, after installing new version(in time when i write this) - i have blue screen with message DRIVER_IRQ_LESS_OR_EQUAL (rndis.sys)

After reboot a has wierd desktop, it was emty - nan icons nan start button, only nvidia in tray :)

I launch task manager, kill explorer and try to start it again - same picture. So, i kill explorer, start total commander, start installation of new version of start is back and now all was fine - Logout - Login - and desktop was pritty :)

Windows 8 x64 rtm.

Very interesting! Glad you got it solved yourself, smart thinking.