• Announcements

• xper

MSFN Sponsorship and AdBlockers!   07/10/2016

Dear members, MSFN is made available via subscriptions, donations and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, become a site sponsor and ads will be disabled automatically and by subscribing you get other sponsor benefits.
Tihiy

Start Is Back - 2.1 release

2,084 posts in this topic

Thank you very much for 2.0.. I have a question though, I just came from start8 and there seems to be alot more start orbs in .png format and .bmp format.

I use a small top taskbar so its pretty hard to find good start orbs because of that, that was not an issue with start8 :/

Will this feature come later, or is there a reason you dont support that format?

Thank you very much for 2.0.. I have a question though, I just came from start8 and there seems to be alot more start orbs in .png format and .bmp format.

StartIsBack supports both .png and .bmp formats (and always did). To add them, press 'Add...' under orb preview list.

Anyways, the only issue I have had is that some programs like Steam for example, when pinned to the start ment, have (2) next to it, and won't allow me to change it to just "Steam" because "a program called 'Steam' is already pinned there." But...there isn't. How do I fix that?

Go to %appdata%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\user pinned\StartMenu and delete existing shortcuts; then unpin and re-pin items.

You're amazing. Thanks!

StartIsBack supports both .png and .bmp formats (and always did). To add them, press 'Add...' under orb preview list.

Not sure if its just me, but I've just tried like 20 .pngs and none of them work :/ Cant it use the same as start8?

Not sure if its just me, but I've just tried like 20 .pngs and none of them work :/ Cant it use the same as start8?

Yes you can use same png images as in Start8. Add them with 'Add...' dialog, not just copy them into Orbs subfolder.

I believe it's not allowed to redistribute parts of Start8. What exactly do you mean by 'some do not work'?

If you want to participate in translation, see this post or write me what's wrong with translation, i'll forward your notes to the translator.

I believe it's not allowed to redistribute parts of Start8. What exactly do you mean by 'some do not work'?

If you want to participate in translation, see this post or write me what's wrong with translation, i'll forward your notes to the translator.

startisback no accept then: http://prntscr.com/uwcx6

you can give me the http://startisback.com/langs/RU-RU.txt in PT-PT and i will tell you what is wrong....ok?

Edited by gsilvap

@gsilvap

How is it bad?

I am from Brazil, but I tried to achieve parity between PT-BR and PT-PT files.

If you feel like PT-PT is not good, I can recommend you to become the translator of the Portuguese (European) version.

Please email me at: mkbu95@gmail.com

Regards.

And it is possible to have a separator bar between "Redémarrer" and "Veille"?
Maybe, in the future vesion.

Thanks so much, it will be really cool

As with Windows 7, in fact

Edited by bapt

2.0.1 released; since no one uses XP-style All Programs mode, no one noticied major bug it in :blushing:

2.0.1 released; since no one uses XP-style All Programs mode, no one noticied major bug it in :blushing:

ROFL!

Hi all,

Very nice software, and very good improvement with the upgrade afaikt so far.

I am gonna buy it for sure (atm just on trial license) if I can fix this problem:

Since the upgrade to 2.0 although the settings are set to run the Metro Start screen on boot, the system still switches to the desktop (seems to jump there a few seconds later than when I actually select jumping to the desktop on boot).

Its since after the upgrade Im quite sure, and its annoying for me :(. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Do you have any other program installed that would do that? Any other Start Menu program (Classic Shell...etc)? That's the behavior that would happen if that were so.

I am no one!!! :yes: :yes: :yes:

I am no one!!! :yes: :yes: :yes:

Ok no one but hero named gsilvap noticied it, and only with his help this bug was saved from the dungeon of bugs.
Its since after the upgrade Im quite sure, and its annoying for me
That's very unlikely. You can try 1.3.3 to be sure: http://www.startisback.com/StartIsBack_setup133.exe (uninstall 2.0 first).

I tried the trial version and it was great though i found some bugs.

It wouldn't recognize opennewwindow commands (or context) which is usally found on browsers (right clicking on them). It will show "opennewwindow" instead of "Open in new window"

Another thing is the pin problems.. it wouldn't recognize shortcuts already present in the folder (sometimes when I pin some items, it would have a name like XXX (2) or XXX (3) and so on and so forth)

Overall, it's awesome. Keep working on it :thumbup

EDIT:

There are also some instances when I put my taskbar on top.. the menu list (the right side.. including user icon/computer/control panel links etc) isn't adjusted. but i guess it's a rare bug anyways.

Edited by jim7777

It wouldn't recognize opennewwindow commands (or context) which is usally found on browsers (right clicking on them). It will show "opennewwindow" instead of "Open in new window"

It's Windows 8 issue, unfortunately.
Another thing is the pin problems.. it wouldn't recognize shortcuts already present in the folder (sometimes when I pin some items, it would have a name like XXX (2) or XXX (3) and so on and so forth)
I'm improving this. On first installation, pinned items folder is cleaned and Windows 7 pinned items are migrated.

StartIsBack 2.0 is missing some translations. If you can translate SIB into following languages, please help! How to

Missing languages:

Czech: http://startisback.com/langs/cs-cz.txt

Slovak: http://startisback.com/langs/SK-SK.txt

Croatian: http://startisback.com/langs/HR-HR.txt

New languages are also welcome!

Next version should bring RTL translation support.

New languages are also welcome!

Next version should bring RTL translation support.

A awesome that what thousands of Arab people waiting for .

It's Windows 8 issue, unfortunately.
I'm improving this. On first installation, pinned items folder is cleaned and Windows 7 pinned items are migrated.

oh that's a microsoft issue..

Just a suggestion, would you allow integration of the context menu (right click menu) regarding PInning to start menu?

Since it's kinda confusing two "Pin to Start" are being shown.. (Pin to Start and Pin to Start Menu) like integrating them? Or adding a setting which if the user wouldn't be using start screen that much, disable the former so only Pin to Start Menu is shown.

It's really confusing sometimes...

Edited by jim7777

Or adding a setting which if the user wouldn't be using start screen that much, disable the former so only Pin to Start Menu is shown.

If you turn Start screen into Apps screen, 'Pin to Start' context menu item is removed.

Or adding a setting which if the user wouldn't be using start screen that much, disable the former so only Pin to Start Menu is shown.

If you turn Start screen into Apps screen, 'Pin to Start' context menu item is removed.

ohh great i overlooked it. thank you

ohh great i overlooked it. thank you :thumbup

edit:

is the charms really enabling the hot corner (bottom left) even startisback has disabled it? or it is just native to be like that in windows 8?

Edit 2:

lol it showed two posts o.o sorry for that

Edited by jim7777