• Announcements

• xper

MSFN Sponsorship and AdBlockers!   07/10/2016

Dear members, MSFN is made available via subscriptions, donations and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, become a site sponsor and ads will be disabled automatically and by subscribing you get other sponsor benefits.
Tihiy

Start Is Back - 2.1 release

2,082 posts in this topic

I understand you want your settings to be restored, but please don't turn this thread into a support case.

Write to support email, with screenshot of the issue if possible.

I've uninstalled StartIsBack many times, and I never choose to delete the settings and license data when uninstalling it. Therefore, all the items I added to the Start Menu are always there when I reinstall it or install StartIsBlack Plus.

Re 2026

I thought forums like this were for support, and a question and reply on the forum could help others with similar issues, even in the future.

I managed to get Pin to Start menu back with a tweak app, Ultimate Windows Tweaker (freeware).

As said, the main menu of my start menu (left side) now has one item in it, while there were several before. The one item is Outlook 2013. I do have Office 2013 installed, and use Outlook 2013, but never had it in that start menu. It is in the Office 2013 folder in All Programs, and I also have Outlook in the Quick Launch Menu. No need for it on the main menu left side. But the other items I had there before are all gone.

I could rebuild it from scratch, but it certainly would be much easier, and save precious time, if I could restore it.

Do you still think it would solve the problem by deleting my activation file, reboot, and re-activate?

By the way, Aloha, I have not uninstalled SIB.

---------------------------------------

Edit: I mentioned above that Outlook is now in my main Start Menu left side, although I never put it there. I now realize that is not there as a set item, but as a "Recent Program". Now there are two apps there (as I have set to show two recent programs), but no set items.

If indeed the problem was one of activation (although under Start Menu Properties, About it says "your license is activated", would the Recent Programs still be showing, as well as the full right side of that menu, and the full Programs Menu? Should I still try deleting the activation files and reactivating? Or does it sound like something else now? (Somehow all my set left side main menu items were lost in upgrading to Win 8.1 and SIB+, but are they stored somewhere, in a file or the registry?) (Again though, all else works. The recent programs on the left side works, I can add new items there (I was able to restoe "Pin to Start menu" to Explorer with a third party tweak app), the right side is normal, and the Programs menu is as I set it before.,)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by maikii

Is there a way to change the delay setting on the program menu so that the cascading menu opens faster? If not is it something that could be added. Otherwise nice little program that gives me everything I need in the start menu

Thanks

GREUH....Stariback drive me mad...Iwanted try it and TWO times, it make me re install Windows8.1.... :realmad: :realmad:

Please fix the bugs!.... :crazy:

I use startmenu8 and no troules same utility... :thumbup

Edited by deltajose

GREUH....Stariback drive me mad...Iwanted try it and TWO times, it make me re install Windows8.1.... :realmad: :realmad:

Please fix the bugs!.... :crazy:

I use startmenu8 and no troules same utility... :thumbup

Well considering you didn't actually mention what type of bugs and why on earth you would have to reinstall windows, one must only assume you posted this comment just to Troll Tihiy's awesome work and promote your crappy Startmenu8.

I think the admin may need to give this guy the boot.

He is using Win 8.1 so what he wants to try should be StartIsBack Plus, not this version.

He is using Win 8.1 so what he wants to try should be StartIsBack Plus, not this version.

this is correct, some users really need to read a bit more in detail the description

I love startisback. I upgraded to 8.1 and therefore upgraded the startisback to the newest version for 8.1. however, I now have to pull down a window if I want to turn off unit. I did not have to do that with older versions. is there an option that I am not seeing?

I love startisback. I upgraded to 8.1 and therefore upgraded the startisback to the newest version for 8.1. however, I now have to pull down a window if I want to turn off unit. I did not have to do that with older versions. is there an option that I am not seeing?

This happens on touch screens only. Do you press shutdown button on touch screen?

Yes, I am using touch screen. There are other programs out there that allow a touch screen shutdown without the "lock screen" popping up. Can you work on this little annoyance?

I realize that startisback has many other good qualities. But, reducing the amount of steps to a full shutdown should be one of them. just like in the old days..... and was also a function in your version for w8

Yes, I am using touch screen. There are other programs out there that allow a touch screen shutdown without the "lock screen" popping up. Can you work on this little annoyance?

The problem with shutdown button on touch screen is that you can miss small options arrow, so I intended this as enhancement, not as a burden. What if I return shutdown on tap-and-hold?

I don't know if anyone else has thought of this or posted it but I think there should be a checkmark in the settings to disable and re-enable the start menu. I like to change the way I do things so I switch between start screen and menu. It is a hassle to do that by uninstalling and re-installing the program.

Thanks for listening!

Probably bugreport. See image attached.

Check if issue is in test build: https://moot.it/startisback

But I guess it falls down to some setting or policy. Is Sleep available in modern ui shudown?

Hi, I have the same issue (no sleep button) with build 2.1.2 on Server 2012.

I had a look at that link and I couldn't find the test build

I don't know if anyone else has thought of this or posted it but I think there should be a checkmark in the settings to disable and re-enable the start menu. I like to change the way I do things so I switch between start screen and menu. It is a hassle to do that by uninstalling and re-installing the program.

Thanks for listening!

You can enable the start screen in the "switching" configuration options. Edited by Aaaaa

Hey everyone!!! Been a long time! I wont bore anyone with the details as to why I disppeared. How you been Tihiy?

Anywho, came across this error message every time I go to add/remove policy templates:

Resource '$(string.SUPPORTED_Win8Only)' referenced in attribute displayName could not be found.

Line 11, column 89

Looks to be refering to this line:

<definition name="SUPPORTED_Win8Only" displayName="$(string.SUPPORTED_Win8Only)" />

EDIT:

Bleh, never fails! Always find an answer after posting. Somehow the ADML file became corrupt. After fixing it the problem went away.

Edited by ISOHaven

Hi, I have the same issue (no sleep button) with build 2.1.2 on Server 2012.

I had a look at that link and I couldn't find the test build

http://startisback.com/StartIsBack_setupTEST.exe

Hey everyone!!! Been a long time! I wont bore anyone with the details as to why I disppeared. How you been Tihiy?

It would be nice if you got a time machine. You've been missed! :angel

Edited by Tihiy

It would be nice if you got a time machine. You've been missed! :angel

Thanks! I've got a ton of catching up to do but as soon as I can I'll load an 8.1 VM and give this a thorough run in my domain environment.

Would love to put Start Is Back on my Windows 7 install...

Is this a possibility?

There's no question it would improve the existing Start Menu...

@Tihiy

Thanks for a great program. It IS the reason I'm staying with Windows 8.1. Keep up the good work!

nitroshift

for 8.1 you need StartIsBack+

Happy Turkey Day in advance, Tihiy and everyone! Been so busy with plans - getting married on Saturday and then honeymoon!

Happy Turkey Day in advance, Tihiy and everyone! Been so busy with plans - getting married on Saturday and then honeymoon!

Woot! Congrats!!!!

Happy Gobble Day!

I'm very happy for you guys! Congratulations and best luck!

Maybe it's possible in future releases, to add transparacy-option for windows (not only startmenu & taskbar), too?

Edited by geneticplasma