Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

Hi Tihiy,

In Version 2.0 Release Candidate of StartisBack, one of the new additions you mention is: "StartIsBack is disabled in Safe Mode"

When Windows is in Safe Mode I understand why it may be a good thing to have it be automatically disabled, but still. . . can it be 'manually started' by the user if so desired? A little bit of ease and familiarity while moving around to seek a cure for what ails the PC can be a real help.

regards,

Laurence

Hi Tihiy,

In Version 2.0 Release Candidate of StartisBack, one of the new additions you mention is: "StartIsBack is disabled in Safe Mode"

When Windows is in Safe Mode I understand why it may be a good thing to have it be automatically disabled, but still. . . can it be 'manually started' by the user if so desired? A little bit of ease and familiarity while moving around to seek a cure for what ails the PC can be a real help.

regards,

Laurence

+1 I agree that should be an option, initially you may want any 3rd party code disabled, but also the familiarity when troubleshooting is also something that can really help...

There will be a way to enable SIB in Safe Mode.
Nice improvements. But the preview of the startmenu is limited to 4 themes. If you have more installed, you can see them in the preview.
That's intended so far but will be fixed. Edited by Tihiy

I'm not sure, the color of the flag does not fit for many taskbar/window colors.
I took the colour from the charms bar (though that one does have black background, regardless of theme). Still, I think it looks fine with most themes.

I noticed a small cosmetic problem while translating: on the Advanced page, the "px" label is covered by the scrollbar (at least in 120DPI mode).

Also, the section labels (eg. "Configure Start menu items and behavior") are always dark blue, even in high contrast themes (makes them hard to see with black background).

Two more translation-related questions:

- is it possible to translate the control panel icon name?

- previous translation versions had some strings for the DLL, but these are missing in the most recent RU-RU.txt example file - are they not supported anymore?

Version 2.0 Release Candidate 2

http://www.startisback.com/StartIsBack_setupRC.exe

Since 2.0 is a big release, let's take time and polish 2.0 further. There will be 2.0RC3.

New:

- Changed Mod+Win 'Change Windows key mode' function to be less confusing. It no longer fires Start Menu / Start screen directly; to provide visual feedback, it flashes Start screen / Desktop thumbnail in bottom-left corner to reflect changed Windows key mode.

- Improved 'Activate by Web browser' experience

- New program folder highlighting in All Programs XP style

Fixed:

- Fixed Appearance styles/orbs list overflow issues

- Minor fixes

Edited by Tihiy

- Changed Mod+Win 'Change Windows key mode' function to be less confusing. It no longer fires Start Menu / Start screen directly; to provide visual feedback, it flashes Start screen / Desktop thumbnail in bottom-left corner to reflect changed Windows key mode.
This flashes on my secondary monitor for some reason.

Also, at least in RC1, the highlight colour was still orange, even in high contrast theme.