Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Start Is Back - 2.1 release

• Please log in to reply
2057 replies to this topic

CompUser

CompUser

• 27 posts
@MrGRiM: Sorry to have offended you, I didn't intend to. I was just making an observation, is all.

@geneticplasma: Try "Steps Recorder"; it's built into Windows 8. Just launch it, click "Start Record", do your thing, click "Stop Record", add comments if you want, and save it. Edit: Steps Recorder doesn't make a video, but it puts into text everything you do, and inserts a screen print of each step along the way.

Edited by CompUser, 15 November 2012 - 12:41 PM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

geneticplasma

geneticplasma

• 21 posts
@CompUser: StepsRecorder only craete sinlge(!) Images - no videos.

@helpdesk98 & Tripredacus: Thank you, but I don't want mess up my system with such this software.

As Thihy provited, he want's to build a debug-version of SIB to locate the bug.

So we have to wait... :zzz:

Edited by geneticplasma, 15 November 2012 - 12:37 PM.

roirraWedorehT

roirraWedorehT

The Keeper of a lot of Useless Knowledge

• PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

hmm guys cool mod I'm trying it but... the store works ok for you? Because I can click and enter but if I right click and go to "my apps" from the bar above I receive a login error...:/

It's working good for me. I just downloaded and installed 16 updates to my apps. I just right-clicked and went to My Apps too without a problem.

Aizen

Aizen

• 15 posts

hmm guys cool mod I'm trying it but... the store works ok for you? Because I can click and enter but if I right click and go to "my apps" from the bar above I receive a login error...:/

It's working good for me. I just downloaded and installed 16 updates to my apps. I just right-clicked and went to My Apps too without a problem.

hmm very strange I've tryied right now but I'm still stuck with this error...

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts

Donator

StartIsBack Version 1.1RC

http://startisback.c...ack_setupRC.exe
Note: this is Release Candidate version. It should be stable but won't be published on site or pushed as new version to 1.0.

- Fixed: uninstall could fail to remove settings / license
- Fixed: taskbar unhide didn't work in start button area
- New: silent install (/silent for user install; /elevated /silent for machine install; if machine install must be run with admin rights; does not start explorer back); (i would recommend using RecImg instead)
- New: option to start with Metro start screen
- New alternate orb (by PainteR)
- Less restrictions (same as Win7) on items which can be pinned to start menu
- Start button menu shows same menu items as in Win7

There could be more, major changes in 1.1 release, but don't hold your breath yet.

Edited by Tihiy, 15 November 2012 - 02:41 PM.

ISOHaven

ISOHaven

• PipPip
  • 182 posts

Awesome, I'll check it out right after lunch!

Aizen

Aizen

• 15 posts

Peoblem solved, was a stupid bug from the ms account...I needed to just log-off and on again to fix it...-.-

roirraWedorehT

roirraWedorehT

• PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Peoblem solved, was a stupid bug from the ms account...I needed to just log-off and on again to fix it...-.-

Great, glad you got it worked out!

Wow, you are on top of this like crazy. :thumbup

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 5,952 posts

Donator

the 1.1 RC shows an update. But the update is version 1.0.
Posted Image

roirraWedorehT

roirraWedorehT

• PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Just guessing since 1.0 is the most recent official version, but he can probably correct that anyway for future beta/RCs.

CompUser

CompUser

• 27 posts

Just guessing since 1.0 is the most recent official version, but he can probably correct that anyway for future beta/RCs.

Mine says 1.1RC.

mara-

mara-

Office Integrator Developer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts
What does it mean "Start button menu shows same menu items as in Win7"? If this are the items which should be shown after we press on All Programs, then I don't see it like on Win 7. Only IE10 is there and some others folders, there are no items like Windows Update, Windows Media Player, Windows Media Center, etc.

Edited by mara-, 15 November 2012 - 07:07 PM.

itoy

itoy

• 26 posts
Nice work, 1.1RC , the right-click menu suits my system language now

http://p13.freep.cn/...922067112_0.png

Servelius

Servelius

• PipPip
  • 102 posts

What does it mean "Start button menu shows same menu items as in Win7"? If this are the items which should be shown after we press on All Programs, then I don't see it like on Win 7. Only IE10 is there and some others folders, there are no items like Windows Update, Windows Media Player, Windows Media Center, etc.

I haven't installed RC1.1 yet but I would guess that might refer to the context menu that pops up when you right click the start button.

-----------------------------------

Is there any possible way you can make a screen capture video showing what exactly you do and the effect of the bug?

Trial: http://mirillis.com/...cts/action.html

Free: http://camstudio.org/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

One very very minor issue I've encountered with a couple of games, sometimes when I start a game and click on the desktop (thus switching focus there) BEFORE the game has loaded and switched to fullscreen the start button orb stays as an overlay over the fullscreened game.

Clicking once while in the game switches the focus back to the game and the orb disappears.

I would hardly even consider it a bug as it has no appreciable effect but I thought I'd put it out there.

Right, a small anomality. On the other hand, we recently had people complain about the orb missing under certain rare circumstances, such as in some cases with virtual desktops, on exitting full-screen mode etc. Since the orb is correctly overlayed when the full screen window is active, it's not a bug. Thank you for reporting.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Someone suggested earlier "to add custom frames to user picture" - sounds good but the destiny of this project is to recreate the original start menu as it is in Windows 7. It should be no huge effort to add a custom frame manually.

Aizen

Aizen

• 15 posts
I've a request: can we have some other options in the right click over the orb like windows 8? I founded useful the link to the "internet options" and to System, now we have to go through control panel again to go there, hmm...

MrGRiM

MrGRiM

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Donator

I've a request: can we have some other options in the right click over the orb like windows 8? I founded useful the link to the "internet options" and to System, now we have to go through control panel again to go there, hmm...

Not sure what your looking for but have you tried using the Win+X shortcut?

Shane

Shane

• 48 posts

You quoted the wrong post, for the full info answering your questions in detail as I have personally experienced it you should have read post #633.
Now, understanding what that means and evaluating the importance of said improvements is a personal matter but for me they were a valid enough reason for the upgrade. Also, yes, in my personal experience, using my main and most powerful machine, Windows 8 made better use of my hardware and resulted in not only faster loading/shutting-down times but in all-around faster response times. YMMV.

As for out-of-the-box-experience, you might be lucky with your machines but with my Gigabyte Sniper G1, after a fresh windows installation absolutely nothing works out of the box. The SATA3 controller needs a driver loaded to be recognized (even harder considering that's where the old boot HDD and the SSD are connected which means they need to be loaded during install time), USB3 ports don't work, audio doesn't work and ethernet is recognized as a PowerPC cpu.Other things too need taking care of. like newer chipset drivers etc. In windows 8, simply by virtue of how new they still are, all I had to install was the BigFoot Network Manager program for the ethernet. Plus, the Windows installation itself took about a third of the time Windows 7 took to install. SiB took me a total of 1 minute to install and setup. Big whoop!

As for the "Microsoft launch propaganda" I have absolutely no idea what you are referring to so no, that's not it.

Those features aren't specific to SSD's, they are the same regardless of the type of drive you boot Windows from. My comment still stands, Windows 8 does not have any new SSD features.

i7-2700k @ 4.8 GHZ | Asus ROG Maximus IV Extreme-Z Z68 Board | 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3-1600mhz | 3GB PowerColor TurboDuo AMD Radeon R9 280X | 128GB OCZ Vector Boot SSD | Logitech Z506 Speakers | LG IPS224V 1080P IPS Monitor | Silverstone Olympia SST OP-1000 1KW PSU

raymonvisual

raymonvisual
  • 1 posts
would be nice if you add option to permanently disable the startscreen.

Aizen

Aizen

• 15 posts

Not sure what your looking for but have you tried using the Win+X shortcut?

Ah! It's almost the same, but I remember that right-clicking the left-bottom corner before startisback I got other options, like the "internet & connection center" (sorry but I dunno how it's spelled in the english version). It would be useful if we can get the same right-clicking the orb now

Edited by Aizen, 16 November 2012 - 06:43 AM.

roirraWedorehT

roirraWedorehT

• PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Ah! It's almost the same, but I remember that right-clicking the left-bottom corner before startisback I got other options, like the "internet & connection center" (sorry but I dunno how it's spelled in the english version). It would be useful if we can get the same right-clicking the orb now

Just curious, do you have an OEM Windows 8 machine? I mean did you buy a PC with Windows 8 on it that might have been customized by the OEM to be slightly different?

Because here are two pictures of:

Win-X:

Posted Image

Right-clicking the Metro thumbnail:

Posted Image

See what I mean? They're both the same for me. But if you have an OEM Windows 8 PC, maybe that's why it was different before? Tihiy or anyone else, what do you think?

Edit: FYI I always enter the Internet and Connection settings by right-clicking the system tray/notification tray icon: either LAN or wireless symbol, same thing.

Edited by roirraW "edor" ehT, 16 November 2012 - 07:57 AM.

mara-

mara-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts
Does anyone have issue with Win button? After the reboot when I press Win button, Start screen will open instead of Start Menu. When I first installed StartIsBack, pressing Win would open Start menu.

hairsky

hairsky

• 15 posts

Does anyone have issue with Win button? After the reboot when I press Win button, Start screen will open instead of Start Menu. When I first installed StartIsBack, pressing Win would open Start menu.

No for me, it works good rc version..

vit9696

vit9696

• 23 posts
"Show Start screen first when i log on to machine"
should be at least "Show Start screen when I log on to machine"

Tihiy, do you still intend to implement Yandex money payment system support?

mara-

mara-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts

No for me, it works good rc version..

I just discovered when this happens for me. It only happens when I use reboot. When I shutdown and start computer everything is fine, but if I use reboot in Start menu, then Win button starts opening Start screen. I fix this behaviour by toggling the option "Rename Start Screen to Apps and keep only modern apps there". But on next reboot, it happens again. Can somebody try to reproduce this?

roirraWedorehT

roirraWedorehT

• PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

I just discovered when this happens for me. It only happens when I use reboot. When I shutdown and start computer everything is fine, but if I use reboot in Start menu, then Win button starts opening Start screen. I fix this behaviour by toggling the option "Rename Start Screen to Apps and keep only modern apps there". But on next reboot, it happens again. Can somebody try to reproduce this?

Unable to reproduce so far.

I just tried your instructions with the v1.1RC version, and after a reboot, the Windows key still showed the Start Menu, not the Start Screen. Any more details? Do you have just one Windows key or two (left and right)? If I understand your description correctly, you normally already have the option to have the Start Screen only show Apps, and you have to toggle it off and back on after this happens, is that right? That's what I assumed for my trying to reproduce, I just wanted to make sure i understand correctly.

Try creating a new temporary user account and testing the behavior there. Does it still happen?

3 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

bigmuscle, jaclaz

How to remove advertisement from MSFN