Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Start Is Back - 2.1 release

• Please log in to reply
2056 replies to this topic

dencorso

dencorso

Adiuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Super Moderator
  • 5,780 posts

Donator

Prevented rogue programs from moving orb

what's this meaning?

Rogue programs? It means malicious programs, bad-intentioned apps, malware.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Donator

what's this meaning?

geneticplasma's jumping orb issue.

butos

butos

• 12 posts
Hey Tihiy,
please keep on with this great job!
Some notes about 1.3RC:
- I can't remove highlited items from recent programs list. Not highlighted items work ok.
- Sometimes I get a crash when closing StartIsBack configurator. I still can't reproduce it whenever I want to.
Please check attached screenshot with some info about the crash.

Filippo

Attached Files

Edited by butos, 13 December 2012 - 05:55 AM.

mara-

mara-

Office Integrator Developer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts
@butos

Is that Aero you have? How?

butos

butos

• 12 posts
No, no Aero for me, just small padding for borders and same background color as wallpaper :)

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

Aero Glass for Win8 developer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Hello, sorry for spam, this is not directly StartIsBack related, but someone could be interested in it.

Would somebody be interested in the development of the small utility which returns transparent titlebars in Win8? This is not regular Aero Glass but the utility (currently slow and buggy) which replaces windows titlebars with transparent images.

Interesting, but IMHO transparent borders without Aero Blur are not as good as solid. What I truly want added to Windows 8 is Flip3D as in Windows 7.

Yeah, blurring is my plan. But, starting from Vista (and Win7/8) it is not so easy to do. Technique which did work on XP simply does not work with DWM enabled. Although DWM renders windows into off-screen buffer, it is not possible to get pixels which are hidden under certain window - or better, it is possible to iterate over all windows in needed z-order, render them into my buffer and composite whole desktop (then get rectangle under window border and do a blur on it) on my own. It is very fast when you have two or three windows on your desktop. But performance will degrade with the amount of opened windows. Maybe there is another way but I have not found a solution yet...
Aero Glass for Win8.x --> http://www.glass8.eu

geneticplasma

geneticplasma

• 21 posts

- Newly installed programs are highlighted

Sorry, but for me new inst. programs are NOT highlighted anymore.

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Donator

Sorry, but for me new inst. programs are NOT highlighted anymore.

Programs are considered new for 1 day and until you launch them. Reinstalling programs may not mark them as new if they were launched before. Note that refreshing algorithm still needs to be improved so sometimes programs won't be highlighted right after installation.

Edited by Tihiy, 15 December 2012 - 06:30 AM.

Servelius

Servelius

• PipPip
  • 102 posts

Hello, sorry for spam, this is not directly StartIsBack related, but someone could be interested in it.

Would somebody be interested in the development of the small utility which returns transparent titlebars in Win8? This is not regular Aero Glass but the utility (currently slow and buggy) which replaces windows titlebars with transparent images.

Interesting, but IMHO transparent borders without Aero Blur are not as good as solid. What I truly want added to Windows 8 is Flip3D as in Windows 7.

Yeah, blurring is my plan. But, starting from Vista (and Win7/8) it is not so easy to do. Technique which did work on XP simply does not work with DWM enabled. Although DWM renders windows into off-screen buffer, it is not possible to get pixels which are hidden under certain window - or better, it is possible to iterate over all windows in needed z-order, render them into my buffer and composite whole desktop (then get rectangle under window border and do a blur on it) on my own. It is very fast when you have two or three windows on your desktop. But performance will degrade with the amount of opened windows. Maybe there is another way but I have not found a solution yet...

I know that windows 8 DWM is in fact Aero but without transparency, and thanks for the clarifications. Indeed it's a hefty task to apply transparency over DWM that just thwarts the Aero blur feature. I wish you good luck with the project. Perhaps it'll be easier going this route: http://www.neowin.ne...ack-via-modder.

I just find the lack of Flip3D greater annoyance than the lack of transparency, this was my point. Rebuilding missing Flip3D feature from scratch is quite a task too, but it's worth the effort..

Max_04

Max_04

Unofficial Service Packs Italian Releaser

• PipPip
  • 278 posts
Just my idea, but I'd prefer the highlighting feature to be applied for the main folder only, and not for every single entry.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Italian localizer for free (not for bastard sellers on ebay).

Many thanks to MDGx, Tihiy, Petr, Gape, Soporific!

http://www.eng2ita.net

kelsett

kelsett
  • 7 posts
I'm experiencing a small issue: sometimes the icons don't show up in the start menu. If I switch visual theme the icons are back.
Screen: http://stuff.kelsett...back/issue1.png

I'm running Windows 8 Professional x64 (French version), StartIsBack version 1.2.1, and I haven't tested if this happens with other visual themes but atm I'm using Aero 8 ;)

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Donator

I'm experiencing a small issue: sometimes the icons don't show up in the start menu. If I switch visual theme the icons are back.

This isssue should be resolved in 1.3RC0

Amigafever

Amigafever

• 28 posts
Using it for 10 days and loving it. The only (minor) problem I have is that most of the time, when using the search box, the search results will not have their icon but a 'blank page' icon. It also occurs on the main menu, not just search. The proper icons will only show if I move or hover the mouse pointer over them, or move the selection with the keyboard arrows. Or perform the search again. Problem remains in 1.3RC0.

Edited by Amigafever, 23 December 2012 - 06:33 PM.

roirraWedorehT

roirraWedorehT

The Keeper of a lot of Useless Knowledge

• PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Using it for 10 days and loving it. The only (minor) problem I have is that most of the time, when using the search box, the search results will not have their icon but a 'blank page' icon. The proper icons will only show if I move or hover the mouse pointer over them, or move the selection with the keyboard arrows. Problem remains in 1.3RC0.

I haven't seen this issue yet and can't reproduce it.

Amigafever

Amigafever

• 28 posts
A request: add the right Windows key to the available Start screen hotkeys.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 5,941 posts

Donator

this was available in older versions, but caused issues (not working correctly and some Lenovo laptops don't have a right Windows key).
Posted Image

Amigafever

Amigafever

• 28 posts

this was available in older versions, but caused issues (not working correctly and some Lenovo laptops don't have a right Windows key).

I see, thanks. If these issues could be fixed, it'd be nice to have the option. The Lenovos could always use some other key(s). :)

Edited by Amigafever, 14 December 2012 - 01:45 PM.

ISOHaven

ISOHaven

• PipPip
  • 182 posts

I see, thanks. If these issues could be fixed, it'd be nice to have the option. The Lenovos could always use some other key(s). :)

It's not just Lenovos. Most keyboards don't have a right windows key.

ender`

ender`

Junior

• Pip
  • 98 posts
Nah, almost all PC keyboards have both Windows keys, though it's true that many laptops only have one.

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts

It's not just Lenovos. Most keyboards don't have a right windows key.

Well, probably not many/most laptops, but all the desktop keyboards I have, at least the 14 I just checked (don't ask LOL), if they had one (13 did) then they had both. The other one was too old to have either. Admittedly, none of them are newer than 3 or 4 years old.

Cheers and Regards

Posted Image

ISOHaven

ISOHaven

• PipPip
  • 182 posts

Nah, almost all PC keyboards have both Windows keys, though it's true that many laptops only have one.

I have over 300 PCs and when this issue first came up I walked around and tried to find one. I couldn't find a single keyboard with a right winkey. No, I didn't check them all :P

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts
I just checked the first page that came up when I searched for keyboards at Newegg - http://www.newegg.co...bCategory/ID-63. There were keyboards from MS, Logitech, Saitek, Rosewill, Tt, LITE-ON, Orange, and others. Except for the Mini keyboards, most, but not all, of the keyboards shown there had a right Windows key.

Cheers and Regards

Posted Image

Linktopower

Linktopower

• 14 posts
Well, I've been using this. and I have to say I love it!. I want to say thanks for this great piece of software!
Anyways Enough of the praise you already receive enough :P

Well I have a most likely dumb question. Is there anyway I can like temporally turn the start menu off and bring back the hot corner for the start screen?
I'm just curios that's all.
Zelda Classic user
Proud member of: http://www.purezc.com/

ISOHaven

ISOHaven

• PipPip
  • 182 posts

I just checked the first page that came up when I searched for keyboards at Newegg - http://www.newegg.co...bCategory/ID-63. There were keyboards from MS, Logitech, Saitek, Rosewill, Tt, LITE-ON, Orange, and others. Except for the Mini keyboards, most, but not all, of the keyboards shown there had a right Windows key.

Cheers and Regards

Now all you have to do is snap your fingers and make the millions on top of millions of current keyboards out there in the wild turn into brand new, new generation keyboards. Good luck! ;p

Also, the first keyboard I saw on new egg had no right winkey. Rosewill RK-101 Black 107 Normal Keys PS/2 Standard Enhanced Keyboard

Your looking at a menu key, not a winkey. Granted, you could reassign it but whatever. By default that key will active most menu bars.

Escorpiom

Escorpiom

Junior

• Pip
  • 88 posts
Rosewill RK-101 Black 107 Normal Keys PS/2 Standard Enhanced Keyboard indeed has a right winkey.
As a matter of fact, it has the right win key followed by the menu key, both are present.
Or you have changed the definition of win keys, or I'm just plain wrong since 1995.

Cheers.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

juan7845

How to remove advertisement from MSFN