Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Start Is Back - 2.1 release

• Please log in to reply
2077 replies to this topic

RS3100

RS3100

• 11 posts
  • Joined 04-November 12

I tried out 1.3 today but found that when I enabled "Rename Start Screen to Apps..." that new mail notifications for Outlook 2013 ("toast" that pops up on the upper-right portion of the screen), along with the accompanying notification sound, stopped happening. Rebooting doesn't help. Disabling the Start Screen feature allowed Outlook's notifications to work again.

May be a bit off topic, if so I apologise, but if a SIB setting does affect those awful "ModernUI" notifications, it would be handy to have a setting that would disable them and revert software to using the traditional tooltip balloons.

As an example, I have the same version of Malwarebytes running on win 7 and Win 8. On Win 7, it uses the traditional balloons for user notifications, but on Win 8 it uses the Modern UI with no way to revert. I find that I don't always see the new style notifications because they appear at the top of the screen which is not in ready view of oldies like me who have to use progressive lenses for computer work. I don't notice stuff at the top of the screen unless I make a conscious effort to look up there!

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Coluwyvurne

Coluwyvurne
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 01-October 10
Hi Tihiy,

I would like to report a little bit of a bug I have found in SiB 1.3.

On my desktop PC, when I enter the Windows Taskbar properties, and deselect "Store recently opened programs" under the Jump Lists tab, the recently opened applications is removed from the Start menu like in Windows 7 ("Store and display recently opened programs in the Start menu").

However, on my laptop and on virtual machines I had set up, doing so populates the Start menu with items which are all highlighted and cannot be Remove from this list manually from the context menu, unless I reselect "Store recently opened programs" first.
The "Highlight newly installed programs" option has been disabled under "Configure Start menu items and behavior", yet this bug persists.

It's not a major issue, but sometimes I like clearing out my list of recently opened programs and letting new ones repopulate the list.

If you have time to look into this, that would be great!

Thanks for all your hard work!!

Attached Files

magsood

magsood
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 29-August 12

Hi Tihiy,

I would like to report a little bit of a bug I have found in SiB 1.3.

On my desktop PC, when I enter the Windows Taskbar properties, and deselect "Store recently opened programs" under the Jump Lists tab, the recently opened applications is removed from the Start menu like in Windows 7 ("Store and display recently opened programs in the Start menu").

However, on my laptop and on virtual machines I had set up, doing so populates the Start menu with items which are all highlighted and cannot be Remove from this list manually from the context menu, unless I reselect "Store recently opened programs" first.
The "Highlight newly installed programs" option has been disabled under "Configure Start menu items and behavior", yet this bug persists.

It's not a major issue, but sometimes I like clearing out my list of recently opened programs and letting new ones repopulate the list.

If you have time to look into this, that would be great!

Thanks for all your hard work!!

I'm having the same problem!
Tihiy Please Fix...

commander1979

commander1979
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 05-January 13
Hi,

i have tested sib 1.3 today. It is really nice product. I like it better then start8 but one think is in start8 better. The size of the start button in start8 is automaticly smaller if I check the checkbox 'Use small taskbar Buttons'. In SIB I need to change to smaller icons. Is it possible to change the size automaticly if the checkbox is checked or unchecked.

Found a second wish. Is it possible to change the color of the menu if the window color of windows 8 is changed.

Thx.
commander

Edited by commander1979, 05 January 2013 - 09:04 AM.

uVSthem

uVSthem
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 22-November 12
Does anyone else have problems with renaming icons that have been pinned to the start menu? I right click the icon, go to properties and then change the name of the icon on the General tab. After doing this the name of the icon changes but clicking the icon no longer runs the program.

roirraWedorehT

roirraWedorehT

The Keeper of a lot of Useless Knowledge

• PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Joined 09-December 06

Does anyone else have problems with renaming icons that have been pinned to the start menu? I right click the icon, go to properties and then change the name of the icon on the General tab. After doing this the name of the icon changes but clicking the icon no longer runs the program.

I *think* (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that you have to create a shortcut file to the program in question, rename that, and then pin the shortcut?

ISOHaven

ISOHaven

• PipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Joined 11-October 12

I *think* (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that you have to create a shortcut file to the program in question, rename that, and then pin the shortcut?

That's been a known issue for a while....beta 3 of 1.0 I think.

The solution is to hit shift then right click and select rename.

Renaming from the general tab will cause all sorts of problems.

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04

Donator

Version 1.3.1
http://startisback.com/#download-tab

Fix: program highlighting could work incorrectly
Fix: moving metro apps between monitors didn't update hot corners
Windows 7 start menu pinned items are migrated on first install
Startup programs are launched without 10 second delay
Shortcuts for newly installed games are created in Games start menu subfolder
New translations

ender`

ender`

• PipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Joined 15-February 06
I recently installed some new programs, and I noticed that in All Programs, the highlight is orange, even in High Contrast theme:
Posted Image
Can this be fixed? (the highlight colour seems to be fine in the main part of Start Menu)

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,162 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

thanks for the update :thumbup

Btw, the bug that the new Shell (Explorer.exe) is started with elevated rights when doing the upgrade is still present in 1.3.1.
Posted Image

uVSthem

uVSthem
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 22-November 12
That worked. Thanks.

That's been a known issue for a while....beta 3 of 1.0 I think.

The solution is to hit shift then right click and select rename.

Renaming from the general tab will cause all sorts of problems.

ISOHaven

ISOHaven

• PipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Joined 11-October 12

That worked. Thanks.

Awesome, glad to help! :D

ender`

ender`

• PipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Joined 15-February 06
I just noticed a problem: when a new user logs in for the first time, all programs are highlighted as new.

Also, would it be possible to set the default orb image for all users?

roirraWedorehT

roirraWedorehT

• PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Joined 09-December 06
It would also be nice to be able to save the settings for all users at once (all the same), as an option.

ISOHaven

ISOHaven

• PipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Joined 11-October 12

I just noticed a problem: when a new user logs in for the first time, all programs are highlighted as new.

Also, would it be possible to set the default orb image for all users?

I've been able to reproduce this a lot. It's also something new as older versions don't do this.

ender`

ender`

• PipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Joined 15-February 06

It would also be nice to be able to save the settings for all users at once (all the same), as an option.

That's probably impossible (settings are stored in Registry, and you don't normally have access to other user's hives - Windows doesn't even load them until they log in), while changing the defaults should be possible.

roirraWedorehT

roirraWedorehT

• PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Joined 09-December 06

That's probably impossible (settings are stored in Registry, and you don't normally have access to other user's hives - Windows doesn't even load them until they log in), while changing the defaults should be possible.

Ah. Then maybe save the settings to the common hive everyone has access to, and any new user accounts made / or current user accounts without customized Start Menus (no settings in their own hive) default to the common hive?

ender`

ender`

• PipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Joined 15-February 06
Yeah, that's what I meant - the common settings should go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE IMHO (since only Administrators should be able to change them).

canadianguy

canadianguy
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 22-July 12
I am tech enthusiast and I am always at forefront to test new product. I installed win 8 so many times and then could not bear this metro crap for more than couple of hours and reverted back to win 7. I then tried startisback and absolutely loved it. I got hand on cracked version of this but liked it so much that i decided that developer deserve money for his product specially when it is priced so reasonably and purchased this program. Now I am using win8 the way I like it to be used. Excellent Job Tihiy. I just have a quick question. How do I backup my activation licence as I am very much in to reinstalling my OS and I don't want to always use online activation. I read it, Tihy said activation licence is in SOFTWARE/Startisback/licence I don't know any folder which has name software. So can anyone tell me where the activation licence is so I can back it up.

Thanks.

Aaaaa

Aaaaa

• 31 posts
  • Joined 02-November 12

I am tech enthusiast and I am always at forefront to test new product. I installed win 8 so many times and then could not bear this metro crap for more than couple of hours and reverted back to win 7. I then tried startisback and absolutely loved it. I got hand on cracked version of this but liked it so much that i decided that developer deserve money for his product specially when it is priced so reasonably and purchased this program. Now I am using win8 the way I like it to be used. Excellent Job Tihiy. I just have a quick question. How do I backup my activation licence as I am very much in to reinstalling my OS and I don't want to always use online activation. I read it, Tihy said activation licence is in SOFTWARE/Startisback/licence I don't know any folder which has name software. So can anyone tell me where the activation licence is so I can back it up.

Thanks.

It's in the registry.
It's also tied to your machine's UUID. So as long as you're putting it on the same hardware, it'll keep working.

aranel42

aranel42
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 08-January 13
First of all, many thanks for the program! I'm still using the trail version and evaluating it, but it's fantastic so far! No more friggin tablet interface on a PC...

Now for a small feature request (if it is possible to pull it off): I've been using Start8 as well, and the only that's better there right now is that it allows you to add shortcuts to custom folder on the right side of the start menu (where Documents, Pictures, etc. resides). Is that possible to add something similar to StartIsBack?
And for something pretty trivial. Would it be possible to bundle a Windows 8 style start button together with the program, mainly to tie it together "better" with Win8?
Neither is a big deal, but they would be a nice features.

And again, thanks for the program!

geneticplasma

geneticplasma

• 21 posts
  • Joined 04-November 12
Bug in SIB 1.3.1 (maybe earlier, too)

Sometimes Icons moved - can't reproduce it.

Solution: Change Design

Posted Image

kong

kong

• 25 posts
  • Joined 24-December 06
^^^
Yeah I got that from time to time... but as far as I remember, this doesn't happen with 1.3-rc1 :ph34r:

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04

Donator

^^ and that's finally fixed
VERSION 1.3.2
http://www.startisba...sBack_setup.exe

Fix: new program highlighting errorneusly fired for new users and roaming profiles
Fix: orb unhides when hidden taskbar is shown (IrfanView)
Fix: icons could fail to show in program list

Next version is under heavy development.

Edited by Tihiy, 11 January 2013 - 04:52 PM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,162 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

thanks for the new version, but I gave it up. It looks like you don't want to fix the elevated explorer issue

Attached File  Win8_explorer.png   19.44KB   70 downloads

So I always have to do the Logoff after upgrade.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users