Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Start Is Back - 2.1 release

• Please log in to reply
2073 replies to this topic

ISOHaven

ISOHaven

• PipPip
  • 187 posts

StartIsBackCfg.exe doesn't play nicely with DEP unfortunately, it crashes.

If you have DEP selected for "all programs and services" (not the default), then you might have to exclude StartIsBackCfg.exe from it. I believe this was mentioned early in the development, but as users have to manually change from the default DEP setting to this, it would probably be considered "normal" behavior to have to exclude it from DEP if DEP isn't set to the default "for essential Windows programs and services only".

It just strikes me as odd for any program developed in this day-and-age to crash when subject to DEP. I mean, as you say, I can exclude it, but it's a really bad coding habit to slide into. Check DEP. Check ASLR. This stuff should be enabled on everything you do as of at least five years ago.

Except I just said default behavior works now. DEP defaults to "all programs and services" on Windows Server. StartIsBackCfg.exe works fine.

As for workstations...I just turned DEP on for all programs and again, it worked fine.

If you need further help with this issue then you'll have to be a little more specific then "it crashes". What version of Windows are you using? What settings have you changed?

In the meantime I'll reload this workstation from scratch and see what happens.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

ISOHaven

ISOHaven

• PipPip
  • 187 posts

StartIsBackCfg.exe doesn't play nicely with DEP unfortunately, it crashes.

If you have DEP selected for "all programs and services" (not the default), then you might have to exclude StartIsBackCfg.exe from it. I believe this was mentioned early in the development, but as users have to manually change from the default DEP setting to this, it would probably be considered "normal" behavior to have to exclude it from DEP if DEP isn't set to the default "for essential Windows programs and services only".

It just strikes me as odd for any program developed in this day-and-age to crash when subject to DEP. I mean, as you say, I can exclude it, but it's a really bad coding habit to slide into. Check DEP. Check ASLR. This stuff should be enabled on everything you do as of at least five years ago.

Except I just said default behavior works now. DEP defaults to "all programs and services" on Windows Server. StartIsBackCfg.exe works fine.

As for workstations...I just turned DEP on for all programs and again, it worked fine.

If you need further help with this issue then you'll have to be a little more specific then "it crashes". What version of Windows are you using? What settings have you changed?

In the meantime I'll reload this workstation from scratch and see what happens.

Windows 8 Pro x64 - no problem. DEP on and it works fine.

Windows 8 Pro x86 - With DEP on, after the install of SiB and I logon I get nothing but a black screen.

Quitch

Quitch

• 15 posts
Whoops, sorry that was bad of me:

Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
System-wide Always-on DEP enabled through EMET 3.5.

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 15/01/2013 23:40:36
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: FurryGopher
Description:
Faulting application name: StartIsBackCfg.exe, version: 1.3.2.0, time stamp: 0x50ef3ed3
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc00001a5
Fault offset: 0x022dfdec
Faulting process ID: 0x1164
Faulting application start time: 0x01cdf379b667fbff
Faulting application path: C:\Users\Quitch\AppData\Local\Temp\7zS8B460053\StartIsBackCfg.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report ID: f540b7d8-5f6c-11e2-be82-001fd08a0b28
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 15/01/2013 23:40:39
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: FurryGopher
Description:
Faulting application name: StartIsBackCfg.exe, version: 1.3.2.0, time stamp: 0x50ef3ed3
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x022dfdde
Faulting process ID: 0x1164
Faulting application start time: 0x01cdf379b667fbff
Faulting application path: C:\Users\Quitch\AppData\Local\Temp\7zS8B460053\StartIsBackCfg.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report ID: f7853490-5f6c-11e2-be82-001fd08a0b28
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

It was my understanding that EMET 3.5 was using the OS implementation of DEP. Perhaps this is incorrect.

roirraWedorehT

roirraWedorehT

The Keeper of a lot of Useless Knowledge

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Windows 8 Pro x64 - no problem. DEP on and it works fine.

Windows 8 Pro x86 - With DEP on, after the install of SiB and I logon I get nothing but a black screen.

I had just did multiple tests but didn't have time to report yet; in VMWare Workstation under Windows 8 Pro x86, every time I turned DEP to "all programs and services", and rebooted (I already had SiB installed), I got a black screen after automatic logon set in VMWare's settings. I'm sure it'd be the same without automatic logon, as well, but haven't tested it yet.

Have you confirmed that before SiB is installed on x86 with DEP fully on that it doesn't give a black screen already?

Edited by roirraW "edor" ehT, 16 January 2013 - 02:35 PM.

ISOHaven

ISOHaven

• PipPip
  • 187 posts

Have you confirmed that before SiB is installed on x86 with DEP fully on that it doesn't give a black screen already?

Correct, DEP itself does not cause a black screen. DEP is fully functional in Win8. It only happens after SiB is installed.

ender`

ender`

Junior

• Pip
  • 98 posts
StartIsBack installer doesn't even run on x86 Windows 8 for me if DEP is enabled (bcdedit /set {current} nx alwayson from elevated command prompt, then reboot before running SiB setup) - 7-zip SFX unpacks, then nothing happens.
And if I install SiB with nx disabled, then flip it to optout or alwayson, I too get empty screen (and if I start Task Manager with Ctrl+Shift+Esc, I can see that Explorer isn't running, and exits quickly if I do try to run it). Event viewer shows exception 0xc0000005 for explorer.exe.

Amigafever

Amigafever

• 29 posts
Thanks for the updates. Unfortunately my only issue (white icons) with SIB still remains, here's a prime example: (doesn't always present itself like this of course)

Posted Image

Edited by Amigafever, 17 January 2013 - 06:57 PM.

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Donator

DEP issue is sure shameful, expect a fix soon. :whistle:

schooby

schooby
  • 6 posts
Thanks for this! It's the best Start Menu replacement/enabler on Win8 I've tried. Any plans to add the start button to all taskbars in a multi-monitor setup? I've got three monitors, but it only shows up on the primary display. Which is expected as that is what Windows7 and previous do. But it sure would be convenient to have it on all displays.

roirraWedorehT

roirraWedorehT

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Thanks for this! It's the best Start Menu replacement/enabler on Win8 I've tried. Any plans to add the start button to all taskbars in a multi-monitor setup? I've got three monitors, but it only shows up on the primary display. Which is expected as that is what Windows7 and previous do. But it sure would be convenient to have it on all displays.

Not at all to discourage Tihiy from going down that road, as Microsoft seems to always be about five to ten years behind in some of the bells and whistles that really smooth over the computing experience, like tabbed browsing and built-in download managers, and of course multi-monitor taskbars and Start Menus. I've been using multiple monitors for at least eight or so years, and with Windows 8, they've finally added some more support for multi-monitors.

In the meantime, there are at several if not many commercial programs for doing what you want. Maybe you already know this but are looking for SiB to do this, too, anyway. IMHO, the creme de la creme is DisplayFusion by Binary Fortress Software. It can be intimidating, but you don't have to dive into any features you don't want to, while at least taking advantage of it's basic function(s) immediately, but it's got a LOT of function and it does it well.

I've heard/read good things about Actual Multiple Monitors but haven't tried it.

UltraMon is another touted one, but the last time I tested it a couple years ago, I still preferred DisplayFusion. YMMV.

I don't know if there exists any free solutions right now.

I think I had found a WIKI list of multiple monitor support programs which had a matrix of features they have, and could help you decide which ones to try. Or maybe that was software KV(M) switches I found the matrix of features?

Also, as a plug and technically OT for something I thought looked interesting but haven't tried yet. http://mizage.com/windivvy/

Some of this capability *might* be built into DisplayFusion, but I haven't really used that so far if it does, and I'm on my laptop right now elsewhere and don't have DF installed at the moment.

Edited by roirraW "edor" ehT, 17 January 2013 - 12:10 PM.

schooby

schooby
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the suggestions, I've looked into DisplayFusion and UltraMon in the past, when Windows had even less multi-monitor support. :) They're great, but I've realized that my normal day-to-day workflow doesn't require most of their functionality, especially now that Windows has added taskbars to each monitor.

At this point, I simply am looking for a good start-menu replacement that will also replicate itself on each taskbar. I used ClassicShell for a while (which can do this), but, again, it has more than I need along with the fact that it isn't near as native a solution as StartIsBack. StartIsBack is perfect for my needs so far, and having it on every monitor would be icing on the cake. :)

roirraWedorehT

roirraWedorehT

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Thanks for the suggestions, I've looked into DisplayFusion and UltraMon in the past, when Windows had even less multi-monitor support. :) They're great, but I've realized that my normal day-to-day workflow doesn't require most of their functionality, especially now that Windows has added taskbars to each monitor.

At this point, I simply am looking for a good start-menu replacement that will also replicate itself on each taskbar. I used ClassicShell for a while (which can do this), but, again, it has more than I need along with the fact that it isn't near as native a solution as StartIsBack. StartIsBack is perfect for my needs so far, and having it on every monitor would be icing on the cake. :)

Ah, thanks for the clarification. You make me want SiB to do this even more than I thought! :D

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 5,990 posts

Donator

@Tihiy

may i ask how many time SIB was downloaded? Currently pokki and Start8 claim to have over 1 million downloads, so I would be interested how much users SIB has.
Posted Image

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Donator

may i ask how many time SIB was downloaded? Currently pokki and Start8 claim to have over 1 million downloads, so I would be interested how much users SIB has.

SIB legit versions were downloaded about 100,000 times. That includes updates and of course only some fraction of users buys it.

Quitch

Quitch

• 15 posts
I searched the topic but didn't find any reference to the arstechnica review of this product which brought me here.

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Donator

I hope you guys are not tired of dotdot releases.
1.3.3 is up with DEP fix, which was critical. Although nobody cared for 3 months :sneaky:

ISOHaven

ISOHaven

• PipPip
  • 187 posts

1.3.3 is up with DEP fix, which was critical. Although nobody cared for 3 months :sneaky:

LOL! I'll test it in a little bit. Super busy today. If you dont hear from me today then I had no problems.

Quitch

Quitch

• 15 posts

Seems to work like a charm, thanks!

humanangle

humanangle

• 36 posts
The Automatically check for new versions check box checked/unchecked doesn't enable the apply button

I sent you an Arabic translation via email ... still waiting for reply

YOU are doing great keep on ... Thank you so much ...

ISOHaven

ISOHaven

• PipPip
  • 187 posts

Seems to work like a charm, thanks!

Yup, works good!

roirraWedorehT

roirraWedorehT

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
Thanks, Tihiy! :)

Yeah, I would guess that people who change the default behavior of DEP to be in the minority - not that it shouldn't have been corrected but it's no surprise that it didn't get noticed sooner.

roirraWedorehT

roirraWedorehT

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

I searched the topic but didn't find any reference to the arstechnica review of this product which brought me here.

http://www.msfn.org/...ost__p__1026879

:D

pesceman3

pesceman3
  • 1 posts
Great program, bought a licence a few months ago and have been using it on both my laptop and desktop since. No complaints about how it works, but a small suggestion. Is there any way to make the program auto-update? Right now it tells me when there is a new version available, but having it update automatically would be the best.

kong

kong

• 25 posts

Great program, bought a licence a few months ago and have been using it on both my laptop and desktop since. No complaints about how it works, but a small suggestion. Is there any way to make the program auto-update? Right now it tells me when there is a new version available, but having it update automatically would be the best.

Agreed, but I'd like the auto-update feature to be optional. At least we can rollback in case there is any problem with the new version.

xpclient

xpclient

XP was my idea. 3rd party apps make NT6 my idea.

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
Tihiy, Shift+Restart in Metro takes us to the graphical boot environment so you don't need to reboot twice to boot into another OS. Possible to add the same to StartIsBack's Restart command?

Impossible to run NT6 without third party fixes.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN