Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Start Is Back - 2.1 release

• Please log in to reply
2056 replies to this topic

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Donator

Can I use this beta version indefinitely (no trial) ?

Nope.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

MrGRiM

MrGRiM

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Donator

Very nice update mate, everything seems to be working well for me so far.

ender`

ender`

Junior

• Pip
  • 98 posts
2.0 seems to work fine for me, except that it's reminding me in the settings that a new version is available.

Anyway, is there any chance to fix the colours of the Shut down and Control Panel submenus in high contrast mode?

Also, if you wish, you're free to include the orb images I made.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 5,941 posts

Donator

What's new:

- All programs multi-column flyout (Windows XP style)
- Closing Modern App returns you to desktop or start screen, whichever was used last (not configurable now)

the second change is nice, but the first one is not good. Is this the new default way or can I still use the Vista/7 style?
Posted Image

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Donator

Anyway, is there any chance to fix the colours of the Shut down and Control Panel submenus in high contrast mode?

Yes, it will be fixed before 2.0 release. You can check how All Programs flyout (XP style) displays with high contrast mode.
Thanks for orb images, they're great!

the second change is nice, but the first one is not good. Is this the new default way or can I still use the Vista/7 style?

Beta testing is not for faint-hearted. :rolleyes: Of course it's not default.

Edited by Tihiy, 30 January 2013 - 02:21 PM.

higH1

higH1

• 30 posts
You beat me to it... Going to beta test :D

A new problem:
Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition has blocked a page!
Malware detected! Access to this page has been blocked.

Should I report this to BitDefender crew?

Another - if I install with AV disabled,
C:\Program Files (x86)\StartIsBack\StartScreen.exe is removed as threat as soon as AV is enabled.

Edited by higH1, 30 January 2013 - 05:09 PM.

syobon999

syobon999
  • 8 posts
I just bought your software...

ender`

ender`

Junior

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Yes, it will be fixed before 2.0 release. You can check how All Programs flyout (XP style) displays with high contrast mode.

I noticed, which is why I asked (again). :)

Edited by ender`, 30 January 2013 - 04:27 PM.

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Donator

I just bought your software...

Thank you :rolleyes:

C:\Program Files (x86)\StartIsBack\StartScreen.exe is removed as threat as soon as AV is enabled.

Gen:Variant.Kazy? What the insane stuff again. It's clear, of course. I'll resolve this issue in next version.

Edited by Tihiy, 30 January 2013 - 11:59 PM.

ender`

ender`

Junior

• Pip
  • 98 posts
Depending on how many users you have, a possible solution is to put a red warning "Antivirus XYZ wrongly detects StartIsBack as a virus. It's recommended to switch to a better AV product", then watch how fast the AV vendor fixes the problem.

Starto

Starto

• 32 posts

What's new:

- All programs multi-column flyout (Windows XP style)
- Closing Modern App returns you to desktop or start screen, whichever was used last (not configurable now)

Yes, the option to continue using the default Windows 7/Vista style is present under the 'Appearance' tab. ;)

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Donator

Depending on how many users you have, a possible solution is to put a red warning "Antivirus XYZ wrongly detects StartIsBack as a virus. It's recommended to switch to a better AV product", then watch how fast the AV vendor fixes the problem.

Well, giving more problems to user is a bad option. Although I don't understand yet why startscreen.exe is flagged, it's totally one-line app without encryption / network / whatever algorithms. Maybe because it uses DeleteFile API call, lol. :rolleyes:

Edit: it flags startscreen.exe malware because of icons in it. That's rude discrimination.

Edited by Tihiy, 31 January 2013 - 02:22 AM.

dencorso

dencorso

Adiuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Super Moderator
  • 5,780 posts

Donator

Some seemingly innocent things like the "/MERGE:.rdata=.text" (esp. when combined with upx compression) do optimization trigger many heuristic engines.
Those engines seem to work by the famous "kill them all and let God sort them out afterwards" principle... :(

MitsuMan

MitsuMan

• PipPip
  • 149 posts
Hallo

I have a question.

The program works very good.

I would like to install it to a offline Image is that possbile or silent install with setupcomplete.cmd in windows 8.

I have tro to use this i setupcomplete.

Start /wait setup.exe /silent

That works fine in windows 8 but when i try with setupcomplete.cmd it dont get install i think it need to load the desktop before you can install it silent
is that a way to load desktop with setupcomplete.cmd and the install the startisback.

ender`

ender`

Junior

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Well, giving more problems to user is a bad option. Although I don't understand yet why startscreen.exe is flagged, it's totally one-line app without encryption / network / whatever algorithms. Maybe because it uses DeleteFile API call, lol. :rolleyes:

It's probably some random signature that matches - I've had several AV programs flag a certain GIMP plugin as malware for a while.

Riyyi

Riyyi
  • 4 posts
My friend still uses the old Ex7forW8 because it completely disables metro.
Now I thought I read something about StartIsBack that it deloads metro from the memory when not in use, is this true?
Help me convince him to switch :P
~

santij07

santij07

• 19 posts
Hi, this new version is awesome, if this beta is great icant image how we'll be the final, but I found that in the Recent Items when I right Click the option clear recent item list is not available, check that.

santij07

santij07

• 19 posts
Hi this New Beta is awesome i cant image how we'll be the final edition, but i found that in the Recent items when i right click the option Clear recent items list is not there please check it and the program say that are another version to download and not true.

maslow

maslow

• 19 posts

program say that are another version to download and not true.

It's because you are using the beta, the version check only sees the full version on the startisback site.

Leo Natan

Leo Natan

• 41 posts
Hi Tihiy,

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but I would like to ask you to consider adding searching in the "games explorer" database from the start menu, like in Windows 7.

Thanks

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Donator

i found that in the Recent items when i right click the option Clear recent items list is not there please check it

'Clear recent items list' is there for me.

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Donator

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but I would like to ask you to consider adding searching in the "games explorer" database from the start menu, like in Windows 7.

Since 1.3.1 newly installed games create shortcuts in Games start menu subfolder so it's searched like in Windows 7. If you don't have some shortcuts there, create them.

syobon999

syobon999
  • 8 posts

My friend still uses the old Ex7forW8 because it completely disables metro.
Now I thought I read something about StartIsBack that it deloads metro from the memory when not in use, is this true?
Help me convince him to switch :P

nope
Metro still loaded with sib, theres just a option i love that seclude all metro apps to the start screen forever.

higH1

higH1

• 30 posts

Gen:Variant.Kazy? What the insane stuff again. It's clear, of course. I'll resolve this issue in next version.

Yes, that's the one. Here's a screen...Attached File  SIBFalsePositive.png   43.38KB   54 downloads

Laurence

Laurence

• 48 posts

Ha!

http://www.displayfu.../Download/Beta/

DisplayFusion Beta Change Log
v5.0.0 (Beta 8) ~ Coming Soon!

Change: Start8 support has been removed (too buggy)

Hi roirraW "edor" ehT,

Although you well may have already seen this by now: Start8 is back as of DisplayFusion v5.0.0 (Beta 9).
DisplayFusion Beta Change Log

regards,
Laurence

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN