Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

I think UTC might have done the same as me - configured StartisBack to show zero recent programmes in the prefs, and pinned what I want to the menu instead.

If he did, he didn't make it sound like it; or he didn't make it sound like he knew he did it:

I can verify that on my laptop that IE has appeared in my Start Menu and the recent programs is fully populated.

I just had to remove some other prog from my long list populated on my Start Menu.

Its now moved up into view.

You can also drag and drop the lower ones up into the top of the Menu.

@UTC, can you confirm what number you have your recently used programs set to?

Another example, I recently installed CoolNovo (Chrome Plus) and have been using it exclusively on my laptop. The Start Menu has yet to show CoolNovo among my 16 most recently used programs. I only have one program pinned at the top. There are other programs (WordPad! and one or two others) that I only launched once ever in this Windows Installation.

I think I read, and maybe it's true of any Metro-supported browser, that IE and Chrome have to be made the default browser to work in Metro. Meaning if you have another browser set as default like Firefox or Chrome, then you won't be able to open IE in Metro, only in Desktop.

You were absolutely right. To test I set IE as the default browser and next time I opened the Start Screen it appeared with a Metro-style tile. I clicked it and it opened in Metro view. I then set Firefox as default and again, it was Desktop only view once more.

Huh!

You were absolutely right. To test I set IE as the default browser and next time I opened the Start Screen it

<=- For every million or so useless facts I have, I find out I actually know one thing slightly useful. :D LOL

Edited by roirraW "edor" ehT

Very interesting! Glad you got it solved yourself, smart thinking.

However, BSOD take place at Uninstalling via control panel...

Same BSOD, why windows 8 didn't like when your soft ask to rndis.sys(afaik it is network interface driver)?

I can verify that on both my desktop and my laptop that IE hasn't appeared in the Start Menu at all.

Yeah, I reported that a while ago. It's done that for a long time. I didn't notice it at first because all my machines get IE auto pinned on install. But once I did a detached fresh install I noticed that IE and Microsoft Office shortcuts are all defunked.

@Tihiy

I did a fresh install in VMWare, then I installed all updates and then StartIsBack. I don't have this bug anymore. But, I noticed other bug, and since there is nothing on the system that could interfere, I'm pretty sure it's a bug. When I installed StartIsBack, Start Menu list is empty, until I start some program, and it appears as often used. But, StartIsBack is not picking Internet Explorer at all. No matter how many time I started it, it wasn't added to a Start Menu list.

I can verify that on both my desktop and my laptop that IE hasn't appeared in the Start Menu at all. On the laptop is a few days' old user account but definitely has used IE some, and the recent programs list isn't fully populated yet so I know IE wasn't just bumped off the bottom (I have it set to 17!). On my desktop there are programs that I've launched more recently, but only once ever whereas IE I have definitely launched at least one or two handfuls of times. v1.1RC is installed on both PCs.

I haven't actually used the internet with Windows 8 yet, but I am under the impression that there are 2 implementations of IE in Windows 8. One that runs as a Modern Style app, and one that runs as a Desktop Style app. If this is the case, if you are running the Modern IE, it wouldn't show up as a recently used program. You guys probably have more experience in the day to day workings of Windows 8 than me by now. :whistle:

Nope, none experience at all. :D I'm just testing it in VMWare, and in it I was also testing StartIsBack when I noticed the bug. And I run desktop version of IE, and it didn't appear on the list, but it seems that this isn't the only program which isn't added to recent used list.

VERSION 1.1

http://www.startisback.com/#download-tab

New over 1.1RC:

- Fix: opening start button context menu did not prevent autohide

- New: option to invoke start screen with Win key

- New translations

Also made sure that setup executable is no longer flagged by some bizzare AVs

Stay tuned, 1.2RC will bring some nice things.

Edited by Tihiy

I think UTC might have done the same as me - configured StartisBack to show zero recent programmes in the prefs, and pinned what I want to the menu instead.

If he did, he didn't make it sound like it; or he didn't make it sound like he knew he did it:

I can verify that on my laptop that IE has appeared in my Start Menu and the recent programs is fully populated.

I just had to remove some other prog from my long list populated on my Start Menu.

Its now moved up into view.

You can also drag and drop the lower ones up into the top of the Menu.

@UTC, can you confirm what number you have your recently used programs set to?

yes, 10 , thats all i need , as i use mostly the quick launch menu

Automatically check for new versions doesn't seem to be doing anything. With 1.0 installed it's not telling me there's a 1.1.

Looks like Start Menu Properties was renamed to Properties. Just making sure that was wanted behavior.

A manual upgrade worked fine. Uninstall worked fine. Re-install worked fine. Remained activated the entire time.

The new orb looks great!

Winkey is working fine.