Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Start Is Back - 2.1 release

• Please log in to reply
2058 replies to this topic

Amigafever

Amigafever

• 28 posts
Incredible update. No Windows 8 installation should be without SiB. :thumbup

Icon loading is much, much faster (there is still a tiny delay, but it's milliseconds and practically unnoticeable) and the blank icons are gone. Thanks.

Edited by Amigafever, 07 February 2013 - 02:53 AM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts

Donator

Thanks for the update, particularly adding bottom-left configurability in the UI (those who haven't been using the right-click menu down there don't know what they're missing).

I haven't revisited SIB since reporting this issue. Would you happen to know if enabling that feature can still cause application issues?

The right-click bottom-left menu can be assigned to Start button since v1.2.
I did not reproduce Outlook issue and there was no additional fixes for it.

MrGRiM

MrGRiM

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Donator

Love the update mate, everything working perfect for me so far, the options look spot on to me, I could not ask for more.

santij07

santij07

• 19 posts
BTW what you believe if you add the option of Jump List to StartIsBack option to avoid having to do it individually. :thumbup

xpclient

xpclient

XP was my idea. 3rd party apps make NT6 my idea.

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
"When I close modern app" is cool and nicely done. :)

Impossible to run NT6 without third party fixes.

zuardin

zuardin
  • 5 posts
anyone was make autoit script for this starisback? please upload your scripts,,thanks :)

GeorgeHahn

GeorgeHahn
  • 1 posts
Is a changelog for v2.0 Beta 1 available?

Thanks for the awesome product,
George.

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts

Donator

Is a changelog for v2.0 Beta 1 available?

Published full changelog for 2.0beta1 in the second post.

vit9696

vit9696

• 23 posts
The language-packs seem to be not working in settings in v2.0 Beta 1. Is that by design?
Win8 32-bit Enterprise Ru, All-users installation, registered.

Edited by vit9696, 09 February 2013 - 02:33 PM.

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts

Donator

The language-packs seem to be not working in settings in v2.0 Beta 1. Is that by design?

Yes, translation is turned off in settings by design, to not confuse users with half-translated UI.

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts

Donator

It's funny to notice that StartIsBack 2.0 new features quickly became Start8 requested features:
When I close modern app - Return to last used Environment
Windows XP style All Programs menu
But we know that 2.0 Beta 0 had them first :rolleyes:

pengipete

pengipete

Junior

• Pip
  • 70 posts
Apologies is this has been covered already - I did search but couldn't spot it...

Do I need to uninstall StartisBack in order to test the V2 Beta or is it possible to temporarily disable each one so I can try both side-by-side, as it were?

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts

Donator

Do I need to uninstall StartisBack in order to test the V2 Beta or is it possible to temporarily disable each one so I can try both side-by-side, as it were?

You don't need to reinstall when upgrading StartIsBack. If you want to downgrade 2.0 to 1.3.3, you should uninstall 2.0 first. It's not possible to run both side-by-side.

Edited by Tihiy, 10 February 2013 - 08:39 AM.

pengipete

pengipete

Junior

• Pip
  • 70 posts
Thanks Tihiy.

I've been trying 1.3 for the past few days having previously tried Classic Shell and Stardock's start menues for about a week each. Have to say that unles anything seriously odd turns up out of the blue, StartisBack is bar far the best of the bunch. It's smooth - genuinely feels like a part of Windows rather than an add-on and what it does, it does perfectly. Classic Shell is a let down because it inflicts the full pop-out menus - no option to have them replace in situ on the "programs" menu. Start8 does that but the "boot to desktop" feature is clunky and it doesn't handle "pinning" correctly. StartIsBack is the most complete recreation of the original start menu and what extras it adds on top of that are well thought out rather than just bunging in new features for the sake of it. The control it offers over Metro is excellent - that's now almost useable for a "desktop jockey" like me.

Having now installed the V2 beta and played around with that for a few hours - I'm surprised at how complete it feels already. I understand that it is not fully finished but it's actually difficult to see what more is required - it's already stable, looks great and the new features are simple and self-explanatory.

One stand-out feature amongst so many good ones - the simple idea of bunging the "Win+X" menu on the start button's right-click is brilliant - I wouldn't have even thought of that but it's exactly the right thing to do.

I'll give it a few more days with 1.3 - just to be as fair as possible in the comparisons - but I suspect I'll be registering my copy :)

Thank you.

Aaaaa

Aaaaa

• 31 posts
I have a feature request I'd like to make; It would be nice to have the option of a dynamically expandable "all programs" list, like this:
http://www.askvg.com...comment-page-7/

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts

Donator

I have a feature request I'd like to make; It would be nice to have the option of a dynamically expandable "all programs" list, like this:
http://www.askvg.com...comment-page-7/

But 2.0 already has the 'All Programs' expandable flyout menu.

MitsuMan

MitsuMan

• PipPip
  • 149 posts

anyone was make autoit script for this starisback? please upload your scripts,,thanks :)

I have pack it with winrar and make it as exe.

;The comment below contains SFX script commands

Setup=install.bat
TempMode
Silent=1
Overwrite=1

And my install.bat looks like this

cmdow @ /HID
cls
@echo off
start /wait Startisback.exe /silent
shutdown -r -t 0

Spike

Spike
  • 4 posts
i have a request....i know that is something maybe off the actual program but...

can you provide a option to make Metro programs be in a window instead of fullscreen? RetroUI have done it, maybe you could to?

ISOHaven

ISOHaven

• PipPip
  • 182 posts

i have a request....i know that is something maybe off the actual program but...

can you provide a option to make Metro programs be in a window instead of fullscreen? RetroUI have done it, maybe you could to?

That would be cool!

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts

Donator

2.0 alphas could do it, but there's too much work to make this work decent. RetroUI does not do it even half-decently. Maybe SIB 3.0 could do it. :rolleyes:

zuardin

zuardin
  • 5 posts

I have pack it with winrar and make it as exe.

;The comment below contains SFX script commands

Setup=install.bat
TempMode
Silent=1
Overwrite=1

And my install.bat looks like this

cmdow @ /HID
cls
@echo off
start /wait Startisback.exe /silent
shutdown -r -t 0

thanks my friend,but "/silent" switch only for one user installation,,i need install for all user on my computer,,any command switch for this? thanks. :)

Edited by zuardin, 10 February 2013 - 05:13 PM.

pengipete

pengipete

Junior

• Pip
  • 70 posts
Just had to boot into Safe Mode - nothing related to SIB, I should emphasise - and was suprised to see that SIB was working.

Just on the off-chance that SIB should go doolally at some point, it might be best if it was not enabled in Safe Mode otherwise there's the possibility of an incurable problem. Failing that, a way to boot with SIB deactivated - such as booting with a certain key held down - might be a wise precaution.

Max_04

Max_04

Unofficial Service Packs Italian Releaser

• PipPip
  • 278 posts
Hey Tihiy, did you receive my email I sent three days ago? :whistle:
Posted Image

Italian localizer for free (not for bastard sellers on ebay).

Many thanks to MDGx, Tihiy, Petr, Gape, Soporific!

http://www.eng2ita.net

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts

Donator

Hey Tihiy, did you receive my email I sent three days ago? :whistle:

Seems that I didn't.

Laurence

Laurence

• 48 posts

It's funny to notice that StartIsBack 2.0 new features quickly became Start8 requested features:
When I close modern app - Return to last used Environment
Windows XP style All Programs menu
But we know that 2.0 Beta 0 had them first :rolleyes:

It's also funny to notice that someone is paying attention to the Start8 forum. :whistle:

Ribbing aside, from what I read and see, StartisBack is certainly moving along fast and furious in its development, adding features and bug squashing. I like. :thumbup

regards,
Laurence

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN