Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

Automatically check for new versions doesn't seem to be doing anything. With 1.0 installed it's not telling me there's a 1.1.

It's working under v1.1RC. @Tihiy, did the new version check have a bug under v1.0? And thanks for v1.1!

Edited by roirraW "edor" ehT

Automatically check for new versions doesn't seem to be doing anything. With 1.0 installed it's not telling me there's a 1.1.

It's working under v1.1RC. @Tihiy, did the new version check have a bug under v1.0? And thanks for v1.1!

I only tested released versions since that's what people would have and what sites would archive.

Looks like Start Menu Properties was renamed to Properties. Just making sure that was wanted behavior.

A manual upgrade worked fine. Uninstall worked fine. Re-install worked fine. Remained activated the entire time.

The new orb looks great!

Winkey is working fine.

I got the new version notification, but have to check properties first..

VERSION 1.1

http://www.startisback.com/#download-tab

New over 1.1RC:

- Fix: opening start button context menu did not prevent autohide

- New: option to invoke start screen with Win key

- New translations

Also made sure that setup executable is no longer flagged by some bizzare AVs

Stay tuned, 1.2RC will bring some nice things.

Thanks mate, seen the update available, installed with no problems, looking forward to see whats in store for v1.2 :)

@Tihiy

I really like your tool! I used Ex7forW8 and that is perfect too! So I want to contribute to make StartisBack even better. As I previously installed Ex7forW8, when installing StartisBack, I reverted back to Win8 explorer.

Below of are list of my suggestion.

1. No start menu shortcuts for StartisBack. I have to go to C:/Program Files (x86)/StartisBack to open the StartisBack. It is difficult to find the tool for beginners and time taking for advanced users too, till they create short cuts.

2. In StatisBack configuration, under Start Menu  Power default actions, there is no way of setting Hibernate as default. Hibernate is not at all in the list but it still exists on start menu.

3. Not 64bit application. The 32bit works on 64bit but having a native 64bit edition add value to the tool as some might not like 32bit apps on 64bit machine.

4. The term Modern UI make it feels like the App is Windows 8 UI fan. It makes me feel like Windows 8 UI is modern and Windows 7 UI is traditional. Why not just say Windows 8 UI instead. Modern UI is a vague word to understand in as it doesn’t refer to anything.

5. Under Modern UI, “use hotkeys to invoke Start Screen:” it is useful but it doesn’t turn off metro completely! To know if metro exists or not after unchecking that command, I just opened a video with the metro – video app. It opened it without any problems. The metro is still there! So would you add another command to completely kill this tablet metro? To avoid not implemented error messages when using metro apps from desktop, it is better to completely remove them from associated programs list, if possible. Say when I click on open with on a video file, I shouldn’t see video metro app. Thus the “not implemented “error will go away!

VERSION 1.1

New over 1.1RC:

- New translations

awesome. I'll test it :)

Start menu works great, the only feature I would like to see is when right clicking on the Win 8 start menu brings up these admin tools. Is it possible to re-enable this feature.

Windows8AdminOptions.jpg

press WIN+X key combination

VERSION 1.1

New over 1.1RC:

- New translations

Thanks, :blushing:

1. No start menu shortcuts for StartisBack. I have to go to C:/Program Files (x86)/StartisBack to open the StartisBack. It is difficult to find the tool for beginners and time taking for advanced users too, till they create short cuts.

I know you directly addressed Tihiy, but I'm going to respond anyway. :) Hope you don't mind.

What shortcut is necessary for StartIsBack? Once installed it runs automatically. Configuring StartIsBack is just like configuring the Windows 7 Start Menu, right click either on the Orb or the Start Menu itself and choose Properties.

2. In StatisBack configuration, under Start Menu  Power default actions, there is no way of setting Hibernate as default. Hibernate is not at all in the list but it still exists on start menu.

Seconded. I use Hibernate often and although at this current moment I prefer the power default be Lock, if I ever change that again it would probably be to Hibernate.

3. Not 64bit application. The 32bit works on 64bit but having a native 64bit edition add value to the tool as some might not like 32bit apps on 64bit machine.

The configuration program might not be 64-bit but StartIsBack itself has both 32 and 64-bit DLLs for the appropriate system. It is the DLLs which actually make StartIsBack work. Personally, I don't think there's reason enough to make a 64-bit version of the configuration program. It's a tiny program and certainly doesn't make use of more than 4GB of RAM. Unless someone can think of reasons which are more than aesthetic...?

4. The term Modern UI make it feels like the App is Windows 8 UI fan. It makes me feel like Windows 8 UI is modern and Windows 7 UI is traditional. Why not just say Windows 8 UI instead. Modern UI is a vague word to understand in as it doesn’t refer to anything.

Although it's confusing, Microsoft is who calls it "Modern UI" (previously known as Metro). It's already confusing enough without adding any more aliases for what it's called. :D

Under Modern UI, “use hotkeys to invoke Start Screen:” it is useful but it doesn’t turn off metro completely! To know if metro exists or not after unchecking that command, I just opened a video with the metro – video app. It opened it without any problems. The metro is still there! So would you add another command to completely kill this tablet metro? To avoid not implemented error messages when using metro apps from desktop, it is better to completely remove them from associated programs list, if possible. Say when I click on open with on a video file, I shouldn’t see video metro app. Thus the “not implemented “error will go away!

Tihiy (and anyone else) who kills Metro completely will then experience problems with some portions of the Desktop UI, which use parts of Metro to display, for instance, Wireless Networks, new drive detected interface (AutoRun) and other elements. This was one of the problems Tihiy fixed to the best of his ability in Ex7ForW8. SiB couldn't remain as elegant and direct as it is right now if Metro would actually be disabled. He'd then have to re-implement the "toast notifcations" just as he did in Ex7ForW8.

If he chooses to implement that possibility at some point or even soon, that's his choice and as long as the user can decide whether or not to turn Metro completely off or not, I don't think anyone would have any serious problem with it, but I doubt if that's a high priority on his to-do list.

Edited by roirraW "edor" ehT

Although it's confusing, Microsoft is who calls it "Modern UI" (previously known as Metro). It's already confusing enough without adding any more aliases for what it's called. :D
Does it? I thought they changed that to Windows 8 UI or something like that :)

Interesting thing to note, Start8 steals features from StartIsBack:

When disable all hot corners is disabled you can now select icons etc on the top 4 pixels

New UI option to hide Windows 8 Modern UI applications from the Windows 7 start menu

New UI option to use ctrl + winkey as an alternative for right winkey

New UI option to use shift + winkey as an alternative for right winkey

One undocumented thing is a middle button click on the start button should open the Win8 menu

Does it? I thought they changed that to Windows 8 UI or something like that :)

Reference WIKI:

In August of 2012, rumors began circulating that one of Microsoft's retail partners, German company Metro AG, had threatened legal action against the software giant for infringing on the "Metro" trademark. A memo was sent out to developers and Microsoft employees to stop using the term "Metro" until a replacement term is established or the legal case is settled.[21] Microsoft is temporarily referring to the design language as Modern UI.[22] On August 9, 2012, it emerged that Microsoft was planning to use the term "Windows 8" to replace Metro in consumer marketing materials. The "Modern UI" term appears to be intended for developers who plan to build software based on Redmond's new design principles.[23]

Currently, the term "Microsoft design language" is used on MSDN documentation when referring to the design language (since September 2012). [24][25][26][27] Furthermore, in Microsoft's Build 2012 developer conference, the company also uses the "Microsoft design language" name. [28][29]

21. ^ http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19108952

22. ^ Bradley, Tony (4 August 2012). "Windows 8 'Metro' Is Dead, But UI Still Needs a Name". PCWorld. Retrieved 10 August 2012.

23. ^ Microsoft officlally renaming Metro UI to Modern UI. The Register, August 1, 2012. Retrieved on August 11, 2012.

24. ^ "Make great Windows Store apps". MSDN. Retrieved 2012-09-17.

25. ^ "Design case study: iPad to Windows Store app". MSDN. Retrieved 2012-11-01.

26. ^ "Guidelines for typography". MSDN. Retrieved 2012-11-01.

27. ^ "Roadmap for Windows Store apps using DirectX and C++". MSDN. Retrieved 2012-11-01.

28. ^ "The Microsoft design language". Channel 9 (Microsoft). Retrieved 2012-11-01.

29. ^ Mary Jo Foley. "Microsoft Design Language: The newest official way to refer to 'Metro'". Retrieved 2012-11-01.

"Was planning" being the operative phrase. :) Call to Microsoft - please stop renaming it, or finally find and stick with one name soon!!! How do I stop this craaaazy thiiiiing!? ;)