Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Start Is Back - 2.1 release

• Please log in to reply
2073 replies to this topic

vit9696

vit9696

• 23 posts
After testing beta 1 for a few days I noticed a rather noticeable speed decrease at opening 'All Programs' folder. I am not sure if it is due to 'Metro' applications but I will try to disable it and test afterwards. What is also imortant if you reopen 'All Programs' folder after experiencing speed loss it will be fine. Thus, another reason could be object cache spoiling & recovering or something similar.

At least, I don't remember such things to happen in 1.3.3.
P.S. I use windows 7 'All programs' style.

Edited by vit9696, 12 February 2013 - 10:06 AM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

ISOHaven

ISOHaven

• PipPip
  • 187 posts

It's also funny to notice that someone is paying attention to the Start8 forum. :whistle:

Not really. That's just plain smart!

Awesome job Tihiy!

roirraWedorehT

roirraWedorehT

The Keeper of a lot of Useless Knowledge

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

It's also funny to notice that someone is paying attention to the Start8 forum. :whistle:

Not really. That's just plain smart!

Awesome job Tihiy!

Laurence was just joking. :)

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Donator

After testing beta 1 for a few days I noticed a rather noticeable speed decrease at opening 'All Programs' folder.

How noticeable is the delay? How much 'Metro' apps do you have installed? How much desktop apps?

Edited by Tihiy, 12 February 2013 - 11:48 AM.

Max_04

Max_04

Unofficial Service Packs Italian Releaser

• PipPip
  • 278 posts

Hey Tihiy, did you receive my email I sent three days ago? :whistle:

Seems that I didn't.

Can I become a skin creator? I'm really interested. :lol:
Posted Image

Italian localizer for free (not for bastard sellers on ebay).

Many thanks to MDGx, Tihiy, Petr, Gape, Soporific!

http://www.eng2ita.net

vit9696

vit9696

• 23 posts

How noticeable is the delay? How much 'Metro' apps do you have installed? How much desktop apps?

3-4 secs. About 5 or 6 (don't use them at all, deleted most of the system ones). Over 70 I suppose. Maybe more. I guess it is normal for <one> time, because it needs to read all the apps in a folder, but from time to time it happens again and again. Shouldn't it have this list in memory?

Edited by vit9696, 12 February 2013 - 01:20 PM.

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Donator

3-4 secs. About 5 or 6 (don't use them at all, deleted most of the system ones). Over 70 I suppose. Maybe more. I guess it is normal for <one> time, because it needs to read all the apps in a folder, but from time to time it happens again and again. Shouldn't it have this list in memory?

Does setting 'Start Menu - Start Apps - Don't display this item' or using 1.3.3 fixes the problem?

Can I become a skin creator? I'm really interested. :lol:

Why no?

Edited by Tihiy, 12 February 2013 - 01:54 PM.

Spike

Spike
  • 4 posts

can you provide a option to make Metro programs be in a window instead of fullscreen? RetroUI have done it, maybe you could to?

2.0 alphas could do it, but there's too much work to make this work decent. RetroUI does not do it even half-decently. Maybe SIB 3.0 could do it. :rolleyes:

i see... well maybe this program can help you in someway -> Windows 8 Start Menu Modifier , the lastest version is not on OP, its on page 3 at page3

this program alters the Start Screen Full to whatever size and where you want, also a nice option "Fill Screen, Leave Taskbar" < this one would be very nice implented on StartisBack

can't post images but take a look on the first link, it has images

not sure if metro apps full screen works like Start Screen full screen but....

Edited by Spike, 12 February 2013 - 05:47 PM.

Nelson340

Nelson340
  • 9 posts
I have a 64-bit version of Windows 8 Pro, and am currently trying out multiple start menu restorers before buying one. However, I can't uninstall StartIsBack, no matter what I try. What's a workaround?

vit9696

vit9696

• 23 posts

Does setting 'Start Menu - Start Apps - Don't display this item' or using 1.3.3 fixes the problem?

Yes, I changed this option two days ago and I don't have a bug any more (or at least I cannot reproduce it). Well, I don't need metro apps in start menu, so, such a fix is acceptable for me. 1.3.3 worked well with the same number of programs, though I didn't try to install it after installing 2.0.

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Donator

I have a 64-bit version of Windows 8 Pro, and am currently trying out multiple start menu restorers before buying one. However, I can't uninstall StartIsBack, no matter what I try. What's a workaround?

Why you can't uninstall it? Reinstall and uninstall again; tell me if it won't help.

Nelson340

Nelson340
  • 9 posts
It says all I can do is remove its entry from the Programs and Features list. I found a StartIsBack .dll file in my AppData, is it possible that if I delete that somehow I can remove StartIsBack?

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Donator

It says all I can do is remove its entry from the Programs and Features list. I found a StartIsBack .dll file in my AppData, is it possible that if I delete that somehow I can remove StartIsBack?

Run the attached file to uninstall StartIsBack installed per-user.

Attached Files

Nelson340

Nelson340
  • 9 posts
Looks like it worked.

gsilvap

gsilvap

• 24 posts
Because when you like a software buy it...
After several months of using the pirated version, I bought a license of your software!!

Many congratulations for the great work you're achieving and the pioneer in software functionality.

Greetings

PS.: Sorry for my English

Edited by gsilvap, 14 February 2013 - 02:44 PM.

Thidox

Thidox
  • 1 posts
First of I would like to congratulate you on your epic job creating the start menu so far! :D

I however do have a minor request, and I admit I don't know if it has been requested before, but would it be possible to install windows updates on shutdown/reboot?
Currently StartIsBack completely ignores the windows update, whilst I can use the charms bar to achieve the desired effect, I would much prefer it to be able from my normal start menu...
Perhaps make it toggle-able via the configuration menu, so that users that do not wish for the above feature would not have to use it?

Amigafever

Amigafever

• 29 posts

I however do have a minor request, and I admit I don't know if it has been requested before, but would it be possible to install windows updates on shutdown/reboot?

That would be great, although I think Windows 8 is to blame for that behaviour. It seems to require a reboot for immediately installing updates. A shutdown will not work (updates will be forced some days later).
Also, an older request: have the Win key behave as default in the Start Screen, meaning having to just press Win to get back to the Desktop instead of say, Win+Alt. Currently, pressing Win takes you to the desktop but also opens the start menu.

Edited by Amigafever, 15 February 2013 - 09:31 AM.

cms0211

cms0211
  • 1 posts
Hi
I just got an HP laptop with windows 8 installed and I immediately wanted to go back to booting straight to desktop and having a start menu, so I found startisback and downloaded it.

I was coming here to complain that the part of "boot straight to desktop" wasn't working when I google searched and found that the problem was I had to disable login, which I was able to do with this article.
So it turns out I have nothing to complain about :)
Thanks for the great program. If things are still going great in 30 days, I'll be buying a license for it.

roirraWedorehT

roirraWedorehT

The Keeper of a lot of Useless Knowledge

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Because when you like a software buy it...
After several months of using the pirated version, I bought a license of your software!!

Many congratulations for the great work you're achieving and the pioneer in software functionality.

Greetings

PS.: Sorry for my English

While this is a unique post, overall I give you kudos for admitting it and since in the end it led to you buying the software, it's a good thing!

Hi
I just got an HP laptop with windows 8 installed and I immediately wanted to go back to booting straight to desktop and having a start menu, so I found startisback and downloaded it.

I was coming here to complain that the part of "boot straight to desktop" wasn't working when I google searched and found that the problem was I had to disable login, which I was able to do with [url=" article%5B/url].
So it turns out I have nothing to complain about :)
Thanks for the great program. If things are still going great in 30 days, I'll be buying a license for it.

Have you tried re-enabling autologin after this? I use autologin for all my PCs on Windows 8 with SiB without a problem. Glad you got it sorted, though.

AnMSFNUser

AnMSFNUser
  • 3 posts
FEATURE REQUEST:

Dear Tihi,

Can you please make the right side of the start menu configurable so you can put any folder/shortcut there. This is the ONLY feature that Start8 has that I really used a lot and would frankly make StartIsBack perfect, but their search is horrendous so I wasted my $5 with them.

Thank you!

Edited by AnMSFNUser, 16 February 2013 - 07:37 PM.

boogerlad

boogerlad

Junior

• Pip
  • 52 posts
Hi Tihiy, I've sent you a pm some time ago. If you aren't too busy, can you please respond?

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Donator

Hi Tihiy, I've sent you a pm some time ago. If you aren't too busy, can you please respond?

Didn't receive PMs from you.

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Donator

Version 2.0 Release Candidate
http://www.startisba...ack_setupRC.exe
NOTE: if you update from 2.0 beta, Start Apps pinned to Start menu will turn into pumpkin dummy shortcuts. You have to un-pin and pin them again. Do not downgrade to 2.0 beta.
This release is (should be) awesome. New skin and orb are the results of hard work of PainteR. Appearance screen got pretty makeover.

New:
- New Skin
- New Start Orb
- Revamped Appearance config screen
- Alternate start menu skins and high contrast themes use different flyout menu style
- Option to disable taskbar translucency works for secondary taskbars
- Option to disable StartIsBack for current user
- Option to hide Start button
- Some useful Windows settings in Advanced section
- StartIsBack is disabled in Safe Mode
Fixes:
- Start Apps folder slowing down All Programs
- Start Apps folder not refreshing after app install / remove
- Start Apps folder not displaying icons in high DPI
- Start Apps folder not displaying some apps
- Incorrect orb hover animation alpha-blending

P.S. Translators will receive translation text later.
This release is functionally complete; Some improvements under the hood are planned for 2.0 release.

Edited by Tihiy, 19 February 2013 - 06:02 PM.

gsilvap

gsilvap

• 24 posts
Very good job!!

One small problem:
So I opened the start menu had pinned a program called Start Apps, but after the installation of 2RC no longer have ... As I return to the Start Apps on there?

Thank you.

ISOHaven

ISOHaven

• PipPip
  • 187 posts
Looking good. No problems right off the bat. I'll play with it more tomorrow.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN