Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Start Is Back - 2.1 release

• Please log in to reply
2073 replies to this topic

DosProbie

DosProbie

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 747 posts
  • Joined 16-October 12

Donator

What is the silent install flags or switches on version 2.0RC3 to install for everyone? The old /silent switch no longer works from your other version..

Same switches are working:
/silent for user install
/elevated /silent for machine install
You need to run explorer.exe after silent installation.

Ok thanks Tihiy,
just did a silent install with the /silent but it defaults to the first option "Install for me",
Do you have a switch to have it install to "Install for everyone" rather than the
"Install for me" option??:}

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04

Donator

Ok thanks Tihiy,
just did a silent install with the /silent but it defaults to the first option "Install for me",
Do you have a switch to have it install to "Install for everyone" rather than the

/elevated /silent

DosProbie

DosProbie

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 747 posts
  • Joined 16-October 12

Donator

Ok thanks Tihiy,

/elevated /silent

Ok, Thanks Tihiy!
Just did a Win8 re-install with a silent install of StartIsBack and worked Perfectly!
- So /silent for user install = "Install for me"
- and /elevated /silent for machine install = "Install for everyone"
Life is good.. :thumbup

roirraWedorehT

roirraWedorehT

The Keeper of a lot of Useless Knowledge

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Joined 09-December 06

Ok, Thanks Tihiy!
Just did a Win8 re-install with a silent install of StartIsBack and worked Perfectly!
- So /silent for user install = "Install for me"
- and /elevated /silent for machine install = "Install for everyone"
Life is good.. :thumbup

ANOTHER satisfied customer! Woot! Go Tihiy! :D

I'm looking forward to soon getting enough business that I can afford to buy a bunch of business licenses so I can start including it in every Windows 8 install I do for customers! SiB is the best!

ender`

ender`

Junior

• Pip
  • 98 posts
  • Joined 15-February 06

I'm looking forward to soon getting enough business that I can afford to buy a bunch of business licenses so I can start including it in every Windows 8 install I do for customers! SiB is the best!

We already did that at work - first with 10 licenses, then when these ran out, with 40 more.

DosProbie

DosProbie

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 747 posts
  • Joined 16-October 12

Donator

Morning Tihiy!
Activation question, I do a lot of re-installs of Win8 on the same machine for testing purposes etc, So my Question is: Do you have a Activation Limit (on the Same machine) ?
I used another product Start something or nother lol.. I know my bad.. and they said I had Reached my Activitation Limit.. So Before I commit to SIB I need to know, do you
also have any kind of provision of backing up the activation so I wont have to re-activate each time (such as a .bin file or whatever)?
Thanks for the Help and a Great Product!.. DosProbie Posted Image

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04

Donator

Activation question, I do a lot of re-installs of Win8 on the same machine for testing purposes etc, So my Question is: Do you have a Activation Limit (on the Same machine) ?

Q: How many times can I reinstall / reactivate StartIsBack?
A: There is no limitation on how many times you can activate an installation on same PC.

You can backup activation data from registry [SOFTWARE\StartIsBack\License] and restore it freely.

berlen

berlen

• 13 posts
  • Joined 25-February 13
Hi Tihiy, I've a request for the next release! Is it possible to add a switch to disable the contextual menu option "Add to Start menu"?
Thank you a lot!

roirraWedorehT

roirraWedorehT

The Keeper of a lot of Useless Knowledge

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Joined 09-December 06

We already did that at work - first with 10 licenses, then when these ran out, with 40 more.

Maybe someday I'll be able to buy the 300! :) Of course by then MS might put the Start Menu back in, although I hope they don't - SiB is better!

DosProbie

DosProbie

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 747 posts
  • Joined 16-October 12

Donator

Q: How many times can I reinstall / reactivate StartIsBack?
A: There is no limitation on how many times you can activate an installation on same PC.

You can backup activation data from registry [SOFTWARE\StartIsBack\License] and restore it freely.

Great!! Thanks for the quick reply.. I think I saw a post on here somewhere that you can add a commandline to have it pre-activated.. Was I dreaming are do you have that option?

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04

Donator

Great!! Thanks for the quick reply.. I think I saw a post on here somewhere that you can add a commandline to have it pre-activated.. Was I dreaming are do you have that option?

StartIsBackCfg.exe /activate [/elevated] YOUR-LICENSE-KEY-NUMBER
/elevated for all users install

DosProbie

DosProbie

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 747 posts
  • Joined 16-October 12

Donator

Do you think you could add Disk Cleanup back to the System Tools like Win7?

ranviper

ranviper
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 01-March 13
Hey, I'll start by saying I love startisback!

Anyways, the only issue I have had is that some programs like Steam for example, when pinned to the start ment, have (2) next to it, and won't allow me to change it to just "Steam" because "a program called 'Steam' is already pinned there." But...there isn't. How do I fix that?

Thanks

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04

Donator

Anyways, the only issue I have had is that some programs like Steam for example, when pinned to the start ment, have (2) next to it, and won't allow me to change it to just "Steam" because "a program called 'Steam' is already pinned there." But...there isn't. How do I fix that?

Go to %appdata%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\user pinned\StartMenu and delete existing shortcuts; then unpin and re-pin items.

Drumbo

Drumbo
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 02-March 13
Hello,

I bought my mother a new PC the other day which came pre-installed with McAfee security. I immediately went to download her a new copy of StartIsBack, and found that the McAfee firewall was blocking startisback.com. I was able to get through fine after switching the PC over to the standard Windows firewall, but I think it's something you should be aware of.

Great piece of software by the way. My PC is not a f*cking iPad, Microsoft!

DosProbie

DosProbie

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 747 posts
  • Joined 16-October 12

Donator

Hello,

I bought my mother a new PC the other day which came pre-installed with McAfee security. I immediately went to download her a new copy of StartIsBack, and found that the McAfee firewall was blocking startisback.com. I was able to get through fine after switching the PC over to the standard Windows firewall, but I think it's something you should be aware of.

Well maybe if we talk nice to tihiy he could add a firewall exception to sib under the advanced section, or just add to his installer..
With something like this firewall rule below..DosProbie ö¿ö
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

;ADD STARTISBACK TO THE FIREWALL APPS LIST..REBOOT 4 CHANGES..
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\MuiCache]
"LangID"=hex:09,04
"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\StartIsBack\\StartIsBackCfg.exe.FriendlyAppName"="StartIsBackCfg.exe"
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\MuiCache]
"LangID"=hex:09,04
"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\StartIsBack\\StartIsBackCfg.exe.FriendlyAppName"="StartIsBackCfg.exe"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules]
"TCP Query User{C4A90690-AEAC-456B-A3D4-C1BDBBE6FC90}C:\\Program Files (x86)\\StartIsBack\\StartIsBackCfg.exe"="v2.10|Action=Allow|Active=TRUE|Dir=In|Protocol=6|Profile=Private|Profile=Public|App=C:\\Program Files (x86)\\StartIsBack\\StartIsBackCfg.exe|Name=StartIsBack|Desc=StartIsBack|Defer=User|"
"UDP Query User{F87B5A70-D6C2-46E9-B258-0DEDB81DA98B}C:\\Program Files (x86)\\StartIsBack\\StartIsBackCfg.exe"="v2.10|Action=Allow|Active=TRUE|Dir=In|Protocol=17|Profile=Private|Profile=Public|App=C:\\Program Files (x86)\\StartIsBack\\StartIsBackCfg.exe|Name=StartIsBack|Desc=StartIsBack|Defer=User|"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules]
"TCP Query User{C4A90690-AEAC-456B-A3D4-C1BDBBE6FC90}C:\\Program Files (x86)\\StartIsBack\\StartIsBackCfg.exe"="v2.10|Action=Allow|Active=TRUE|Dir=In|Protocol=6|Profile=Private|Profile=Public|App=C:\\Program Files (x86)\\StartIsBack\\StartIsBackCfg.exe|Name=StartIsBack|Desc=StartIsBack|Defer=User|"
"UDP Query User{F87B5A70-D6C2-46E9-B258-0DEDB81DA98B}C:\\Program Files (x86)\\StartIsBack\\StartIsBackCfg.exe"="v2.10|Action=Allow|Active=TRUE|Dir=In|Protocol=17|Profile=Private|Profile=Public|App=C:\\Program Files (x86)\\StartIsBack\\StartIsBackCfg.exe|Name=StartIsBack|Desc=StartIsBack|Defer=User|"

Edited by DosProbie, 02 March 2013 - 07:30 AM.

bapt

bapt

• PipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Joined 09-August 07

StartIsBack 2.0RC3
http://www.startisba...ack_setupRC.exe
This is the last RC. If no important bugs arise, that will be Release version. Just a few translations missing.

What's new:
- StartIsBack is now configurable by group policy. It was already 100% compatible with Windows 7 policy but now all StartIsBack options are fully configurable / restrictable with group policy.
Download group policy template: http://www.startisba...GroupPolicy.zip
- It also has a setting to enable StartIsBack in Safe Mode (SOFTWARE\StartIsBack\"EnableInSafeMode"=1)
- You can activate StartIsBack license online automatically from command line: StartIsBackCfg.exe /activate [/elevated] YOUR-LICENSE-KEY-NUMBER
I should write a Deployment Guide soon.

That aside, release contains few minor fixes and improvements. Just a few small steps left to 2.0 release.

Thank you for this update.
I have not seen any change with this new version, I put the file in "C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions", is this normal?

Hello

Thank you very much for this app, and your great work :thumbup

Not very important, but in the start menu options (French), it will be possible to have like that?

For "Redémarrer" et "Mettre en veille"

Currently, it is like that

Thanks so much

And it is possible to have a separator bar between "Redémarrer" and "Veille"?

Thanks

Edited by bapt, 02 March 2013 - 08:04 AM.

sorry for my english :)

pytex

pytex
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 07-August 11
Tihiy
Thanks for the StartIsBack, I guess It's the best start-button for Win8.

I noticed a thing:
After a user logs in, first clicking on the "Start screen" - link (in Russian that link is called "Начальный экран") causes sharp appearance of the start screen (not smooth).
If U click that link second and next times, Start screen appears smoothly as it should do.
Same effect is caused by pressing Ctrl+Win.

Is it possible to fix first appearance of the start screen?

p.s.: 2.0 RC3 (Win8 x64 Pro)

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04

Donator

And it is possible to have a separator bar between "Redémarrer" and "Veille"?

Maybe, in the future vesion.

I noticed a thing:
After a user logs in, first clicking on the "Start screen" - link (in Russian that link is called "Начальный экран") causes sharp appearance of the start screen (not smooth).
If U click that link second and next times, Start screen appears smoothly as it should do.
Same effect is caused by pressing Ctrl+Win.

Is it possible to fix first appearance of the start screen?

Well, StartIsBack purposefully makes Start screen load after Desktop. Yet I've never noticed lag when opening it. Do you wait long enough or launch it while other things start up?

pytex

pytex
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 07-August 11
Tihiy
i copied the question to the ru-board forum for better understanding.

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04

Donator

Version 2.0 Released
http://www.startisba...sBack_setup.exe

- Virtually the same as RC3.

Let's party! :thumbup

kong

kong

• 25 posts
  • Joined 24-December 06
Thank you! :D

ISOHaven

ISOHaven

• PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Joined 11-October 12

Version 2.0 Released

Let's party! :thumbup

WooHoo!!!!

DosProbie

DosProbie

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 747 posts
  • Joined 16-October 12

Donator

Thanks for the 2.0 Update..Working Good ! Posted Image
Been manually adding a shortcut to Disk Cleanup to System Tools ,
how hard would it be to add this in next version?

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,092 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

Version 2.0 Released

:thumbup :thumbup :thumbup
Posted Image