Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

* StartIsBack now supports skins! It is able to load skins for start menu from msstyles directly, without any patches or tools needed!

That is pure awesome! So many people are going to be happy with that. Many thanks to you and MRGrim!

VERSION 1.2 RC1

http://www.startisback.com/StartIsBack_setupRC.exe

Pretty boring version, nothing changed... except one thing

* StartIsBack now supports skins! It is able to load skins for start menu from msstyles directly, without any patches or tools needed!

skins1.png

skins2.png

One skin is included, Aero 8 by MRGrim. You can find and download more Windows 8 msstyles (although there isn't much now) and place into StartIsBack install folder\Styles.

There should be 1.2RC2 with more fixes and changes. Or not. I'll notify the translators later.

Awesome work mate, so happy that you were able to add this feature, we already knew SIB was the best start menu around but this is pure awesomeness, just want to say a big thanks for including my theme as well.

@romuald777 The user picture can be disabled pretty easy by modifying the msstyles userpicture:bool and content margins using Windows Style Builder, if that is something that a few are interested in I could release another version with it disabled, would be a shame though considering how much work Tihiy just put into being able to change it lol.

1) Please Add Windows 8 Logo for Start Button

60301740209384199563.png

2) Change Shutdown to last Power Button

95911231942492501206.jpg

3) Enable Win+X Menu; Right Click in Left Corner!

A: Right Click in Start Button; show (Properties and Open File Explorer)

B: Right Click in Left Corner Start Button; show Win+X Menu

Windows.8.Logo.bmp

Edited by magsood

I really like the way we can add a custom start menu now, I will use the Aero 8 msstyles you modified now as a base to create more start menus but I still feel it would be good to have the added option to add a custom user picture frame in the same way you have implemented the start button as that is a much easier option for the average user, also I noticed one bug with the start menu as it is at the moment, it does not seem to include properties from "Start Menu > Menus" in Windows Style Builder and as a result some changes that are made there will not be implemented.

Here is an example of where the problems are, if you look at my start menu when used with SIB it does not use the composited:bool to allow transparency in the programs list.

Maybe you could have the option to apply a complete theme as well instead of just the start menu.

Edited by MrGRiM

Hello, for some reason ever since I have installed StartIsBack, I am getting semi constant hard lockups (where I have to reboot the computer to bring it back up). It didn't freeze before installing it. Any suggestions on what to try?

Thanks

Hello, for some reason ever since I have installed StartIsBack, I am getting semi constant hard lockups (where I have to reboot the computer to bring it back up). It didn't freeze before installing it. Any suggestions on what to try?

Thanks

I don't know of anyone else having this problem, are there any other programs you installed that may be causing a conflict?

Search desktop for broken / network shortcuts. If you find any, tell me.

Skin support is nice but it will only change the Start menu right? Not the Taskbar and window chrome? I think it will continue using UxStyle. That way, the style changes everywhere including Start menu. That said, you're doing a great job. :thumbup

Do you get that when running setup? Try right clicking the setup and running as administrator.

Better use adequate browser.

I didn't make that clear, but skinning engine is not the almighty solution. It serves only one purpose - provide rectangular skin for StartIsBack. It may have limitations and not intended to skin everything. I may create sth like UxStyle ofc, but that's not what i want.