Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

Do you get that when running setup? Try right clicking the setup and running as administrator.

Better use adequate browser.

I didn't make that clear, but skinning engine is not the almighty solution. It serves only one purpose - provide rectangular skin for StartIsBack. It may have limitations and not intended to skin everything. I may create sth like UxStyle ofc, but that's not what i want.

I think it's great that it only changes the start menu, in fact I have had requests in the past just have a start menu added to another theme, this way makes that even easier, I would like to try a nice full glass start menu though so if we can get that other property included it would be great.

1) Please Add Windows 8 Logo for Start Button

60301740209384199563.png

2) Change Shutdown to last Power Button

95911231942492501206.jpg

3) Enable Win+X Menu; Right Click in Left Corner!

A: Right Click in Start Button; show (Properties and Open File Explorer)

B: Right Click in Left Corner Start Button; show Win+X Menu

windows 8 logo should be the default logo, imho

VERSION 1.2 RC1

http://www.startisback.com/StartIsBack_setupRC.exe

Pretty boring version, nothing changed... except one thing

* StartIsBack now supports skins! It is able to load skins for start menu from msstyles directly, without any patches or tools needed!

That's great, but would it not be better to load start menu skin from a windows 7 msstyles file?

I mean there are very few msstyles for win 8 and who knows if the authors even add a start menu to them.

Edited by JFX

I had a couple of shortcuts that was on the desktop, tied to a different install of Windows before upgrading to 8 (never got around reinstalling those programs). Also I have my personal folders on the "D" drive (main is SSD). I deleted the bad shortcuts from the desktop

Hello, for some reason ever since I have installed StartIsBack, I am getting semi constant hard lockups (where I have to reboot the computer to bring it back up). It didn't freeze before installing it. Any suggestions on what to try?

Search desktop for broken / network shortcuts. If you find any, tell me.

VERSION 1.2 RC1

http://www.startisback.com/StartIsBack_setupRC.exe

Pretty boring version, nothing changed... except one thing

* StartIsBack now supports skins! It is able to load skins for start menu from msstyles directly, without any patches or tools needed!

That's great, but would it not be better to load start menu skin from a windows 7 msstyles file?

I mean there are very few msstyles for win 8 and who knows if the authors even add a start menu to them.

I think the main reason for doing it this way was to have a start menu that matched the look of Windows 8 that needs no extra patches or tools and was very easy for users to apply, it is not so much about creating new themes, just an easy way to have a new matching start menu, plus everything but the start menu has been stripped out of the msstyles so it is very lite and causes no performance degradation.

I had a couple of shortcuts that was on the desktop, tied to a different install of Windows before upgrading to 8 (never got around reinstalling those programs). Also I have my personal folders on the "D" drive (main is SSD). I deleted the bad shortcuts from the desktop

That's good. Tell me that it solves your problem. Although, this shouldn't ever cause hard lockups. Do you use NVIDIA beta drivers?

@Tihi: I've tryed to buy SiB throught the blackfriday promotion but I got an error from paypal saiyng that I cannot make this transaction... what's the problem? :/

edit: nvm, just done!

Edited by Aizen

One improvement that I noticed Start8 has done is for each category of search result (Programs, Control Panel), it shows 5 results which is more useful as sometimes the result you want may not be in the top 3 (Windows 7 Menu and thus SIB only show 3 results). Of course, because Start8 is a fully independent program, it is free to make such changes. Can SIB add this or it's not possible? :)

Another thing: In Start8, you can type for example: C:\Windows\system32\*.exe and it lists all the EXEs in system32! :o

Edited by xpclient

@ Tihiy

Is it possible to add the option to collapse the right side of start menu?

In order to be easier to show/collapse the right side, you can also add a narrow vertical button on the start menu right side edge.

Thank you

To Tihiy:

With right-click on start I can start explorer but since I´m using xplorer2 (from zabcat) I will be happy if there is a way to change it.

Did not get any answer...

So I have to specify my question. Is there a way to change the link on explorer to point at xplorer2.exe ?

Edited by Rojac

One improvement that I noticed Start8 has done is for each category of search result (Programs, Control Panel), it shows 5 results which is more useful as sometimes the result you want may not be in the top 3 (Windows 7 Menu and thus SIB only show 3 results). Of course, because Start8 is a fully independent program, it is free to make such changes. Can SIB add this or it's not possible? :)

Another thing: In Start8, you can type for example: C:\Windows\system32\*.exe and it lists all the EXEs in system32! :o

This is not a copy of Start8 if you prefer Start8 then use that, this is meant to bring back the start menu that was taken away, hence the name, he has already added so many extra features and done an awesome job to do what he has done so far, he is just one person, Stardock would have had a whole dev team working on theirs and it's still buggy as hell.

@ Tihiy

In order to be easier to show/collapse the right side, you can also add a narrow vertical button on the start menu right side edge.

Thank you

This would not be possible, he can not change the way the start menu is drawn in that way, he bound by what is in the msstyles so if you can do it on Windows 7 then he can do it on SIB but there are limits to what can be done.

To Tihiy:

With right-click on start I can start explorer but since I´m using xplorer2 (from zabcat) I will be happy if there is a way to change it.

So I have to specify my question. Is there a way to change the link on explorer to point at xplorer2.exe ?

Is this really a necessary feature, you are in a minority of users who may use this program, I have never even heard of it till now, would it not be just as easy to just pin it to the taskbar?

This is not a copy of Start8 if you prefer Start8 then use that, this is meant to bring back the start menu that was taken away, hence the name, he has already added so many extra features and done an awesome job to do what he has done so far, he is just one person, Stardock would have had a whole dev team working on theirs and it's still buggy as hell.

@ Tihiy

Thank you

This would not be possible, he can not change the way the start menu is drawn in that way, he bound by what is in the msstyles so if you can do it on Windows 7 then he can do it on SIB but there are limits to what can be done.

To Tihiy:

Is this really a necessary feature, you are in a minority of users who may use this program, I have never even heard of it till now, would it not be just as easy to just pin it to the taskbar?

Yes it´s possible to do, but still is right click a fast and good way to start xplorer2

Why I use it? It´s simply so that xplorer2 has all that the normal explorer should have, so why not use it? It have least 10 times better features then regular explorer,

and opportunities to Customised most of what you want....

Yes it´s possible to do, but still is right click a fast and good way to start xplorer2

Why I use it? It´s simply so that xplorer2 has all that the normal explorer should have, so why not use it? It have least 10 times better features then regular explorer,

and opportunities to Customised most of what you want....

I never asked why you use it,all I am saying is to add a feature that possibly only one person would use would be a waste of time, especially when you only have to pin it to the taskbar next to the start button and use a left click instead of a right, I also think that asking $30 for xplorer2 is a bit much for most people to consider it, that is more then what most are paying to upgrade to Windows 8.