Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Start Is Back - 2.1 release

• Please log in to reply
2075 replies to this topic

vooze

vooze
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 02-March 13
Thank you very much for 2.0.. I have a question though, I just came from start8 and there seems to be alot more start orbs in .png format and .bmp format.

I use a small top taskbar so its pretty hard to find good start orbs because of that, that was not an issue with start8 :/

Will this feature come later, or is there a reason you dont support that format?

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04

Donator

Thank you very much for 2.0.. I have a question though, I just came from start8 and there seems to be alot more start orbs in .png format and .bmp format.

StartIsBack supports both .png and .bmp formats (and always did). To add them, press 'Add...' under orb preview list.

ranviper

ranviper
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 01-March 13

Anyways, the only issue I have had is that some programs like Steam for example, when pinned to the start ment, have (2) next to it, and won't allow me to change it to just "Steam" because "a program called 'Steam' is already pinned there." But...there isn't. How do I fix that?

Go to %appdata%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\user pinned\StartMenu and delete existing shortcuts; then unpin and re-pin items.

You're amazing. Thanks!

vooze

vooze
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 02-March 13

StartIsBack supports both .png and .bmp formats (and always did). To add them, press 'Add...' under orb preview list.

Not sure if its just me, but I've just tried like 20 .pngs and none of them work :/ Cant it use the same as start8?

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04

Donator

Not sure if its just me, but I've just tried like 20 .pngs and none of them work :/ Cant it use the same as start8?

Yes you can use same png images as in Start8. Add them with 'Add...' dialog, not just copy them into Orbs subfolder.

gsilvap

gsilvap

• 25 posts
  • Joined 14-February 13
I have download the start8 Orb buttons, and some do not work.

for those who want the orbs of start8: https://dl.dropbox.c...art8Buttons.rar

Portuguese translation of startisback is bad, how can I help improve the translation?

PS.: sorry for my english

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04

Donator

I believe it's not allowed to redistribute parts of Start8. What exactly do you mean by 'some do not work'?
If you want to participate in translation, see this post or write me what's wrong with translation, i'll forward your notes to the translator.

gsilvap

gsilvap

• 25 posts
  • Joined 14-February 13

I believe it's not allowed to redistribute parts of Start8. What exactly do you mean by 'some do not work'?
If you want to participate in translation, see this post or write me what's wrong with translation, i'll forward your notes to the translator.

startisback no accept then: http://prntscr.com/uwcx6

you can give me the http://startisback.com/langs/RU-RU.txt in PT-PT and i will tell you what is wrong....ok?

Edited by gsilvap, 03 March 2013 - 01:15 PM.

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04

Donator

you can give me the http://startisback.com/langs/RU-RU.txt in PT-PT and i will tell you what is wrong....ok?

Write me to startisback at gmail.com.

mkbu95

mkbu95
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 25-October 12
@gsilvap
How is it bad?
I am from Brazil, but I tried to achieve parity between PT-BR and PT-PT files.
If you feel like PT-PT is not good, I can recommend you to become the translator of the Portuguese (European) version.

Please email me at: mkbu95@gmail.com
Regards.

bapt

bapt

• PipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Joined 09-August 07

And it is possible to have a separator bar between "Redémarrer" and "Veille"?

Maybe, in the future vesion.

Thanks so much, it will be really cool

As with Windows 7, in fact

Edited by bapt, 03 March 2013 - 10:27 PM.

sorry for my english :)

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04

Donator

2.0.1 released; since no one uses XP-style All Programs mode, no one noticied major bug it in :blushing:

roirraWedorehT

roirraWedorehT

The Keeper of a lot of Useless Knowledge

• PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Joined 09-December 06

2.0.1 released; since no one uses XP-style All Programs mode, no one noticied major bug it in :blushing:

ROFL!

ciryatan

ciryatan
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 04-March 13
Hi all,
Very nice software, and very good improvement with the upgrade afaikt so far.

I am gonna buy it for sure (atm just on trial license) if I can fix this problem:
Since the upgrade to 2.0 although the settings are set to run the Metro Start screen on boot, the system still switches to the desktop (seems to jump there a few seconds later than when I actually select jumping to the desktop on boot).
Its since after the upgrade Im quite sure, and its annoying for me :(. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

roirraWedorehT

roirraWedorehT

The Keeper of a lot of Useless Knowledge

• PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Joined 09-December 06
Do you have any other program installed that would do that? Any other Start Menu program (Classic Shell...etc)? That's the behavior that would happen if that were so.

gsilvap

gsilvap

• 25 posts
  • Joined 14-February 13

I am no one!!! :yes: :yes: :yes:

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04

Donator

I am no one!!! :yes: :yes: :yes:

Ok no one but hero named gsilvap noticied it, and only with his help this bug was saved from the dungeon of bugs.

Its since after the upgrade Im quite sure, and its annoying for me

That's very unlikely. You can try 1.3.3 to be sure: http://www.startisba...ck_setup133.exe (uninstall 2.0 first).

jim7777

jim7777
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 05-March 13
I tried the trial version and it was great though i found some bugs.

It wouldn't recognize opennewwindow commands (or context) which is usally found on browsers (right clicking on them). It will show "opennewwindow" instead of "Open in new window"
Another thing is the pin problems.. it wouldn't recognize shortcuts already present in the folder (sometimes when I pin some items, it would have a name like XXX (2) or XXX (3) and so on and so forth)

Overall, it's awesome. Keep working on it :thumbup

EDIT:
There are also some instances when I put my taskbar on top.. the menu list (the right side.. including user icon/computer/control panel links etc) isn't adjusted. but i guess it's a rare bug anyways.

Edited by jim7777, 05 March 2013 - 08:27 AM.

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04

Donator

It wouldn't recognize opennewwindow commands (or context) which is usally found on browsers (right clicking on them). It will show "opennewwindow" instead of "Open in new window"

It's Windows 8 issue, unfortunately.

Another thing is the pin problems.. it wouldn't recognize shortcuts already present in the folder (sometimes when I pin some items, it would have a name like XXX (2) or XXX (3) and so on and so forth)

I'm improving this. On first installation, pinned items folder is cleaned and Windows 7 pinned items are migrated.

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04

Donator

StartIsBack 2.0 is missing some translations. If you can translate SIB into following languages, please help! How to
Missing languages:
Czech: http://startisback.com/langs/cs-cz.txt
Slovak: http://startisback.com/langs/SK-SK.txt
Croatian: http://startisback.com/langs/HR-HR.txt

New languages are also welcome!
Next version should bring RTL translation support.

humanangle

humanangle

• 36 posts
  • Joined 20-December 12

New languages are also welcome!
Next version should bring RTL translation support.

A awesome that what thousands of Arab people waiting for .

jim7777

jim7777
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 05-March 13

It's Windows 8 issue, unfortunately.

I'm improving this. On first installation, pinned items folder is cleaned and Windows 7 pinned items are migrated.

oh that's a microsoft issue..

Just a suggestion, would you allow integration of the context menu (right click menu) regarding PInning to start menu?
Since it's kinda confusing two "Pin to Start" are being shown.. (Pin to Start and Pin to Start Menu) like integrating them? Or adding a setting which if the user wouldn't be using start screen that much, disable the former so only Pin to Start Menu is shown.
It's really confusing sometimes...

Edited by jim7777, 06 March 2013 - 02:30 AM.

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04

Donator

Or adding a setting which if the user wouldn't be using start screen that much, disable the former so only Pin to Start Menu is shown.

If you turn Start screen into Apps screen, 'Pin to Start' context menu item is removed.

jim7777

jim7777
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 05-March 13

Or adding a setting which if the user wouldn't be using start screen that much, disable the former so only Pin to Start Menu is shown.

If you turn Start screen into Apps screen, 'Pin to Start' context menu item is removed.

ohh great i overlooked it. thank you

jim7777

jim7777
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 05-March 13

ohh great i overlooked it. thank you :thumbup

edit:
is the charms really enabling the hot corner (bottom left) even startisback has disabled it? or it is just native to be like that in windows 8?

Edit 2:
lol it showed two posts o.o sorry for that

Edited by jim7777, 06 March 2013 - 03:43 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users