Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Start Is Back - 2.1 release

• Please log in to reply
2077 replies to this topic

gsilvap

gsilvap

• 25 posts
  • Joined 14-February 13
European Portuguese is updated??

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Tusticles

Tusticles

• PipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Joined 03-February 13

Could you please tell me if the animations will be 'fixed' or something, using transparency will make the animations look strange, I have to disable transparency to make them soft, like win7. I have no idea if that is a bug or they are supposed to work like that? Thank you.

Unfortunately, transparency & animation does not work well with Windows 8. This may or may not be fixed in the future.

Disabling transparency and using Aero Glass 0.5 for Windows 8 will solve the problem, we have full aero with soft animations :). But the Aero Glass project is a bit laggy with my GPU(GTX 670M) idle clocks, so, for now I will disable transparency and enjoy the soft animations. I'm sure this can be fixed somehow. Thank you for your response.

Edited by Tusticles, 24 March 2013 - 06:00 PM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,156 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

For me the setup doesn't work, it complains that the StartIsBack64.dll is in use. I never had this with older version.

My workaround was to start my file manager and rename the 64Bit DLL and run the setup again.
Posted Image

maybe

maybe
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 01-March 13
In your FAQ's you state "Does StartIsBack "phone home"? No..." yet now you have "Desktop toast is shown when new version is available". You can't have it both ways. If you are going to have the software connect to the internet on it's own ("Phone Home") you should make that clear to everyone (both current and prospective users) right up front. IMHOP the best way would be to make "automatically check for updates" an opt-in only choice for the user, like most other user-friendly software. :)

Edited by maybe, 25 March 2013 - 01:18 AM.

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04

Donator

IMHOP the best way would be to make "automatically check for updates" an opt-in only choice for the user, like most other user-friendly software. :)

It's opt-out like most software is. By not 'phoning home' I mean (and I believe it's common term) that software does not report any data about computer / user. And it doesn't; it only calls server with version of software to query if there's a new version.

santij07

santij07

• 19 posts
  • Joined 31-January 13
Confirmed the leaked version of Windows blue dont support StartIsBack even Start8 dont's work Microsoft eliminates all code, change kernel and explorer is a bad news.

stelian88

stelian88

STELIAN

• 43 posts
  • Joined 07-February 13
yes :| So everything is in vain.hard work for nothing to start menu.anyway that's one I'm familiar with the new Windows 8. so ... Goodbye start menu ... (startisback, start8 ..... etc.)

Shane

Shane

• 48 posts
  • Joined 10-July 11
It's very disappointing to hear that they've purposely gimped it to make the start apps impossible to use. Screw you, Microsoft

i7-2700k @ 4.8 GHZ | Asus ROG Maximus IV Extreme-Z Z68 Board | 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3-1600mhz | 3GB PowerColor TurboDuo AMD Radeon R9 280X | 128GB OCZ Vector Boot SSD | Logitech Z506 Speakers | LG IPS224V 1080P IPS Monitor | Silverstone Olympia SST OP-1000 1KW PSU

VolitationThorax

VolitationThorax
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 12-February 13

Confirmed the leaked version of Windows blue dont support StartIsBack even Start8 dont's work Microsoft eliminates all code, change kernel and explorer is a bad news.

Blue is not even suppose to be public. Can we wait until its finished before coming to a conclusion?

ISOHaven

ISOHaven

• PipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Joined 11-October 12

Blue is not even suppose to be public. Can we wait until its finished before coming to a conclusion?

Exactly! Commenting on it now is worthless. For all we know that specific build could be some mobile only device experiment. At least wait until after TAP.

humanangle

humanangle

• 36 posts
  • Joined 20-December 12
Hi Tihiy, Thank you for this great application ... I have two small and minor requests just to make things more easyer:

1- When the "automatically check for new version" check box is checked the apply button state change is needed.
2- Adding and deleting styles from configuration window is needed.

Edited by humanangle, 25 March 2013 - 11:52 PM.

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts
  • Joined 24-September 07

Exactly! Commenting on it now is worthless. For all we know that specific build could be some mobile only device experiment. At least wait until after TAP.

Wait, what?. That's what all the fanboys said throughout all the betas. Time to face facts: giving the benefit of the doubt to Nu-Microsoft is a fool's errand. They have a plan, and your Start Menu is not a part of it.

... Let him who hath understanding reckon the Number Of The Beast ...

stelian88

stelian88

STELIAN

• 43 posts
  • Joined 07-February 13

Wait, what?. That's what all the fanboys said throughout all the betas. Time to face facts: giving the benefit of the doubt to Nu-Microsoft is a fool's errand. They have a plan, and your Start Menu is not a part of it.

you're right.

stimpy88

stimpy88
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 16-February 12
In my opinion, Windows Blue is nothing more than a fully baked and finished Windows 8.

They ran out of time with Windows 8 RTM, and had to push it out to keep the OEM's happy. MS needed at least another 9 months or so to actually finish the OS.

They have now had time to clean up more of the legacy code, and the Start Menu IS legacy code. I'm positive that the final version of Blue, will have no Start Menu code left in it at all.

The only way to continue this project, would be to code a Start Menu replacement that does not rely on this legacy code, or Windows API's. And that could be quite some challenge!

Edited by stimpy88, 26 March 2013 - 04:49 AM.

santij07

santij07

• 19 posts
  • Joined 31-January 13

In my opinion, Windows Blue is nothing more than a fully baked and finished Windows 8.

They ran out of time with Windows 8 RTM, and had to push it out to keep the OEM's happy. MS needed at least another 9 months or so to actually finish the OS.

They have now had time to clean up more of the legacy code, and the Start Menu IS legacy code. I'm positive that the final version of Blue, will have no Start Menu code left in it at all.

The only way to continue this project, would be to code a Start Menu replacement that does not rely on this legacy code, or Windows API's. And that could be quite some challenge!

Exactly, the intention is to completely finish MS Windows 8 and remove the remainder of the code, and force the user to use like it or not this new system.

Starto

Starto

• 32 posts
  • Joined 23-November 12
FWIW, one of the Start Menu alternatives IObit Start Menu 8 1.0.0 works with this pre-release edition of Windows Blue. What that effectively means is that - all is not lost. ;)

santij07

santij07

• 19 posts
  • Joined 31-January 13
Hey dont worry i have testing diferents start menus a few hours, at the moment the only start menú for this Windows build 9364 Versión 6.3.9364 or Windows Blue that are working are: Vistart, Retro UI Pro, Startmenu8, Power 8 and Pokki, just this work fine but Start8, Startw8, ClassicShell, Ex7ForW8 and StartIsBack is not working or not supported, the vision of MS are wrong, when they wake up from sleep it will be late for them.

santij07

santij07

• 19 posts
  • Joined 31-January 13

FWIW, one of the Start Menu alternatives IObit Start Menu 8 1.0.0 works with this pre-release edition of Windows Blue. What that effectively means is that - all is not lost. ;)

Thats righ always theres always hope, just is program a new code and take it easy with this evaluation copy is the first to start programming a new code and test it. :whistle:

JorgeA

JorgeA

FORMAT B: /V /S

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,292 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Hey dont worry i have testing diferents start menus a few hours, at the moment the only start menú for this Windows build 9364 Versión 6.3.9364 or Windows Blue that are working are: Vistart, Retro UI Pro, Startmenu8, Power 8 and Pokki, just this work fine but Start8, Startw8, ClassicShell, Ex7ForW8 and StartIsBack is not working or not supported, the vision of MS are wrong, when they wake up from sleep it will be late for them.

There's a list of Start Menu/Button replacements in another sticky. It's too much to ask to try every one of them :w00t: , but if you (or anybody else reading this) get the chance, I'd love it if you could report over there on the ones that you find are (or are not) working in Windows Blue.

Thank you very much! (¡Muy agradecido!)

--JorgeA

Vlad2989

Vlad2989

• 32 posts
  • Joined 19-October 12
From StartIsBack FAQ:

"What if Microsoft removes it and breaks StartIsBack?
It's almost impossible since it involves rearchitecting Windows 8 code which Microsoft won't do until major changes to Windows.

Can i use Windows Update without troubles?
Yes, StartIsBack is compatible with all updates for Windows 8. It should be compatible with all Service Packs as well, unless they would bring major rearchitecting of Windows 8.

I have faith in Tihy, that he will cure the cancer that is Metro UI...

Tihy please have a look at the leaked build and let us know what u think ?

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04

Donator

Tihy please have a look at the leaked build and let us know what u think ?

I've already told everything - StartIsBack won't work on Blue as is due to all start menu code removed. I don't want to leave users in the dark so I hope there will be a solution.

ISOHaven

ISOHaven

• PipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Joined 11-October 12

You are all freaking out over nothing. Chill out and get back on topic.

gsilvap

gsilvap

• 25 posts
  • Joined 14-February 13

GSILVAP

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04

Donator

GSILVAP

You're asking for the third time instead of asking me directly. It's not updated since no one sent me updated file.

santij07

santij07

• 19 posts
  • Joined 31-January 13

You are all freaking out over nothing. Chill out and get back on topic.

Hey just are the first view and testing but we know that Tihiy will back with a stat menu ready for the Windows Blue, by now the legacy code has been removed and I trust that Tihiy are now working in that because this Win Blue is just a preview and still missing many arrangements in this leaked version, we need to wait and let Tihiy work on it. :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users