Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Start Is Back - 2.1 release

• Please log in to reply
2073 replies to this topic

DosProbie

DosProbie

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 739 posts
  • Joined 16-October 12

Donator

No need to rush Tihiy.. "Fine wine takes time" Posted Image

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Archanciel

Archanciel
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 12-April 13
Hi,

How do I proceed to reorganise my Startisback menu items in new Startisback folders, like Development, Multimedia, Business, etc ?
In Windows XP, there was a start menu folder on disk ...

Thanks, Arc

Edited by Tripredacus, 12 April 2013 - 09:11 AM.
edited title

plusconscient.net, des centaines de conférences et d'interviews à télécharger ou podcaster librement.

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04

Donator

Hi,

How do I proceed to reorganise my Startisback menu items in new Startisback folders, like Development, Multimedia, Business, etc ?
In Windows XP, there was a start menu folder on disk ...

Thanks, Arc

Like you do in Windows 7.

Right-click 'All programs' button - Open - create and edit subfolders there.
There's also system shortcuts available if you right-click 'All programs' button - Open for all users. You shouldn't touch Desktop, PC settings and Store shortcuts there.

Archanciel

Archanciel
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 12-April 13
Great, thanks a lot. I'm going to buy the StartsIsBack utility !
plusconscient.net, des centaines de conférences et d'interviews à télécharger ou podcaster librement.

maikii

maikii

• 11 posts
  • Joined 28-March 13
Using SIB 2.1 RCO (still trial version) , on Windows 8 Pro.

A couple of recent minor problems and questions--

1. Isn't the menu supposed to show recent documents, as the Win7 start menu does? In fact I have it configured to do so, but no recent documents entry appears.

2. Recent programs do appear, at the bottom of the left side of the menu. However, they are not up to date. That list might include apps I have not used in several days, whereas apps that I used today and yesterday do not appear there. How could I get the recent apps section to accurately display the most recently used programs?

3. I don't see a "Run" command, as appears inb the Win7 and XP start menus. How can I get that?

Thank you.

berlen

berlen

• 13 posts
  • Joined 25-February 13

3. I don't see a "Run" command, as appears inb the Win7 and XP start menus. How can I get that?

right click on the orb and pick Properties, now in the first pane, tick the entry "Run command..." or something like that

khonjo

khonjo

Junior

• Pip
  • 78 posts
  • Joined 22-July 03
If I launch a new app from a start menu folder, the icon of that app is added to the list which is displayed by clicking on the start orb. Is there a way to suppress this behavior?
Mobo: GA-790XTA-UD4 with BIOS F2
CPU: Phenom II x4 970 3.5GHz
RAM: 16GB(4GBx4) DDR3 1333 GSkill F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL x2
HDD: 1TB x2 SATA-300 Hitachi HDS721010CLA332
Video: ATI Radeon HD 5770
DVD: Toshiba/Samsung SH-S223C & Pioneer DVR-218LBK
Sound: Asus Xonar DS
PSU: Corsair VX450W 450W

IdahoVandal

IdahoVandal
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 14-April 13
I bought this program and love it, but I never received a registration code and I have requested the code numerous times from the web page (http://www.startisba...om/#support-tab) but revived nothing.
My registered email is scott@vandals.us, which must not be working for some reason. Can the author just take a second and send me the code at one of my other email addresses? Like sws@ida.net

Aloha

Aloha

• PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Joined 07-February 08

1. Isn't the menu supposed to show recent documents, as the Win7 start menu does? In fact I have it configured to do so, but no recent documents entry appears.

It is in the Properties > Start Menu > Recent Items. You need to stick in the check box and then apply it.

I bought this program and love it, but I never received a registration code

Check in the Spam folder to see if it is there. My mail is a Yahoo and the key was sent there too!

Edited by Aloha, 14 April 2013 - 11:12 AM.

Aloha

Aloha

• PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Joined 07-February 08

If I launch a new app from a start menu folder, the icon of that app is added to the list which is displayed by clicking on the start orb. Is there a way to suppress this behavior?

I guess it is relating to "Number of recent programs to display". It is on Properties > Start Menu.
Try changing 10 to 0 to see if it works.

IdahoVandal

IdahoVandal
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 14-April 13

It is in the Properties > Start Menu > Recent Items. You need to stick in the check box and then apply it.

I bought this program and love it, but I never received a registration code

Check in the Spam folder to see if it is there. My mail is a Yahoo and the key was sent there too!

IdahoVandal

IdahoVandal
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 14-April 13
Nothing in the Spam or Junk folder.

khonjo

khonjo

Junior

• Pip
  • 78 posts
  • Joined 22-July 03

I guess it is relating to "Number of recent programs to display". It is on Properties > Start Menu.
Try changing 10 to 0 to see if it works.

I do not want the recent programs displayed at all. Presently they are added until the space is filled up. I need certain space there where I can manually place icons.

Edited by khonjo, 14 April 2013 - 12:20 PM.

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04

Donator

I do not want the recent programs displayed at all. Presently they are added until the space is filled up. I need certain space there where I can manually place icons.

Go to Advanced - check off Store and display recently opened programs.

Recent programs do appear, at the bottom of the left side of the menu. However, they are not up to date. That list might include apps I have not used in several days, whereas apps that I used today and yesterday do not appear there. How could I get the recent apps section to accurately display the most recently used programs?

Recently used program list is not just-used program list, it's the list sorted by internal usage rating which Windows calculates, which includes last launch time, lauch count, switching to the program count, etc.

Edited by Tihiy, 14 April 2013 - 01:19 PM.

khonjo

khonjo

Junior

• Pip
  • 78 posts
  • Joined 22-July 03

Go to Advanced - check off Store and display recently opened programs.

I did not know where the Advanced is. The problem is resolved by removing check marks on the Jump Lists tab.

pengipete

pengipete

Junior

• Pip
  • 70 posts
  • Joined 05-February 13

I did not know where the Advanced is. The problem is resolved by removing check marks on the Jump Lists tab.

He means the "Advanced" section of StartIsBack's settings - right-click on the start-button and select "Properties" then select "Advanced" from the list on the left-hand side of the settings window that opens. The options you need are in the "Tweak Windows Settings" section on the right-hand side.

Aloha

Aloha

• PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Joined 07-February 08
Personally, I find these recently opened options quite confusing!

Nothing in the Spam or Junk folder.

Hmm, then don't know why you couldn't get the key from Tihiy.
Hope it's not because you are American! :P

Edited by Aloha, 15 April 2013 - 12:44 AM.

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04

Donator

Personally, I find these recently opened options quite confusing!

That's because they are. Furthermore, for example, unchecking 'Store recently opened programs' in Jump List properties window also deletes Run and Open/Save dialogs history. That does not make much sense, but that's how its done in Windows 7/8. It's better not to touch those options and just set '0' to to recent program count in SIB options.

khonjo

khonjo

Junior

• Pip
  • 78 posts
  • Joined 22-July 03

He means the "Advanced" section of StartIsBack's settings - right-click on the start-button and select "Properties" then select "Advanced" from the list on the left-hand side of the settings window that opens. The options you need are in the "Tweak Windows Settings" section on the right-hand side.

I looked for that there but it was not there. This time I noticed "New updates is available". I installed the updates and "Advanced" emerged.
Thanks for your help.

pengipete

pengipete

Junior

• Pip
  • 70 posts
  • Joined 05-February 13
@Tihiy....

Just a quick note - and definitely not wishing to get into a "windows blue" discussion....

If a future Windows update does mean that your current system of utilising "redundant" code in W8 will no longer work, I for one will be happy to pay you for a self-contained replacement start-menu if you maintain the quality you have achieved with SiB. It might be a nice gesture to offer original SiB users a discount on any such version but that's just a minor suggestion. For what this cost to register, I reckon I've had more than my money's worth already - it's made W8 far more useable for less than the price of a pint and it's head and shoulders above the other start-menues I tried.

Many thanks mate and looking forward to see what else you will develop in the coming months.

Aloha

Aloha

• PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Joined 07-February 08
It seems that I haven't looked through all the options of SiB yet.

And I think Jump List is something for Taskbar only. Don't know that it's related to Start Menu too.

ISOHaven

ISOHaven

• PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Joined 11-October 12
Um....huh? What's confusing about it? It's been pretty straight forward since WinXP. You either do or do not want to display recent apps and/or items. Then you get to choose how many. Just do as Tihiy stated and choose 0 items.

hello2u

hello2u

• 43 posts
  • Joined 03-April 13

Looks pretty darn good! I like the speed improvements it has over ClassicShell...CS keeps crashing Windows Explorer. xP

There are a few features I would request be added if they aren't already:
-Support for one button per taskbar (multiple monitor support)
-Ability to move the menu around the screen (so I can replace it the taskbar and still have the menu show in the expected place)
-Ability to toggle the menu with a shortcut (also so I can replace the taskbar and still use it)

Thank you!

Looks like my post got buried. Any word on this?

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04

Donator

Looks like my post got buried. Any word on this?

I read all posts and consider any feedback. No timeline for those features though.

wngan9447

wngan9447
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 16-April 13
Hi I have a very weird problem that i'm hoping you can help with out with.

With Startisback installed, I keep getting Ghost clicks that takes makes the current window i'm viewing inactive. Every situation happens when i'm full screen. It has happened when i'm viewing a webpage and has happened when i'm typing in MS Word. I have reinstalled all drivers that could have been the issue, but finally uninstalled Startisback and that worked. The best way I can describe it is if you have two windows open on your screen (IE and Word Doc), if you click out of IE to Word, it makes IE inactive and Word active. I've gone as far as disabling the mouse and it still happens.

Please help.

I have a Dell XPS 13 WIN8 64bit

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN