Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Start Is Back - 2.1 release

• Please log in to reply
2073 replies to this topic

stelian88

stelian88

STELIAN

• 37 posts
Why there's no update for startisback? I see nothing new.
or is it because Microsoft would be able to reintroduce the start button?because they have high demand from customers

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Donator

With Startisback installed, I keep getting Ghost clicks that takes makes the current window i'm viewing inactive. Every situation happens when i'm full screen. It has happened when i'm viewing a webpage and has happened when i'm typing in MS Word. I have reinstalled all drivers that could have been the issue, but finally uninstalled Startisback and that worked. The best way I can describe it is if you have two windows open on your screen (IE and Word Doc), if you click out of IE to Word, it makes IE inactive and Word active. I've gone as far as disabling the mouse and it still happens.

I'm sorry, but i don't understand your issue. Can you describe your scenario so someone could try to reproduce it? It could be some software conflict.

Why there's no update for startisback? I see nothing new.

Which satisfying answer do you expect?

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 5,985 posts

Donator

I guess Tihiy is busy making the tool "Blue" compatible. So wait a bit. The RC is pretty stable for me.
Posted Image

wingers

wingers
  • 4 posts
Looks like Microsoft may be responding to customer pressure/complaints and bringing back the start menu as an option, and also adding a boot to desktop option

My linkhttp://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-windows-8-plan-blue-bring-back-the-start-button-boot-to-desktop-7000014075/

ISOHaven

ISOHaven

• PipPip
  • 187 posts

Looks like Microsoft may be responding to customer pressure/complaints and bringing back the start menu as an option, and also adding a boot to desktop option

My linkhttp://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-windows-8-plan-blue-bring-back-the-start-button-boot-to-desktop-7000014075/

If it turns out that way then we have people like Tihiy to thank for it. If there was never an alternative then people would have nothing to vote on.

wingers

wingers
  • 4 posts

If it turns out that way then we have people like Tihiy to thank for it. If there was never an alternative then people would have nothing to vote on.

totally agreed - Tihiy has done a fantastic job

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Donator

If Windows 8.1 comes with start menu, I would be glad. Too bad it won't happen, even if there is a huge motion for it inside Microsoft.
One member of Windows team told me - "I think your app serves a need that we’re not serving right now."

Let's wait for 8.1 release and I hope it won't feel so rushed, despite very short development time. Let's hope we will have StartIsBack.Next by then.
2.1RC1 should come next week with some new UI goodie and I hope some would like it.

CompUser

CompUser

• 27 posts
Even if the rumors of Microsoft putting a start menu and a boot-to-desktop option into Windows 8 turn out to be true, I hope you keep up your work with StartIsBack, Tihiy. I like the features you've added (Start Apps folder in start menu, rename Start page to Apps, etc.) that Microsoft isn't likely to include. I will continue using StartIsBack regardless (assuming it still works).

Plus, I think a Microsoft Windows 8 start menu will likely be styled more for Windows 8 instead of the classic Windows 7 style.

Edited by CompUser, 20 April 2013 - 12:44 PM.

mvd

mvd
  • 9 posts

If Windows 8.1 comes with start menu, I would be glad. Too bad it won't happen, even if there is a huge motion for it inside Microsoft.
One member of Windows team told me - "I think your app serves a need that we’re not serving right now."

You are correct sir. The Windows insiders are telling the pro-Microsoft bloggers like Mary Jo Foley and Paul Thurrott that a return of the start button will only bring up the Metro Start Screen, not the classic Start Menu. And if 8.1 does end up removing dependency code that StartIsBack and others rely on, they'll really be trolling their most longtime users.

Microsoft just doesn't get it.

Posted Image

Edited by mvd, 20 April 2013 - 08:17 PM.

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Donator

Version 2.1RC1
http://www.startisba...ack_setupRC.exe

New:
- Option to show taskbar on the Start Screen. When enabled, taskbar is available on the Start Screen. It's also http://tihiy.net/ghosttaskbar.png'>recolored to match Metro color.
Supports auto-hide and secondary taskbars. Hot corners which are overlapped by taskbar on Start Screen behave like configured to behave on desktop.

- "Pin to Start menu" is available in all programs shell context menus, not just in File Explorer
- Excluded shortcuts for system shortcuts which are available on the right start menu pane (Run, Control Panel, etc) from start menu MFU program list
- Multiple activations of the same license key is possible on same Windows installation but different hardware (to handle VMWare Fusion / Parallels Desktop)

If you want to downgrade from this release, please uninstall it first.

IMPORTANT
I've received a request from Microsoft to remove start button orbs which contain Windows logo.
This means Version 2.1 release must have all different orbs. I'm looking for a good designer to create a good-looking replacement start button picture.

Edited by Tihiy, 22 April 2013 - 03:36 PM.

ISOHaven

ISOHaven

• PipPip
  • 187 posts

Version 2.1RC1
http://www.startisba...ack_setupRC.exe

New:
- Option to show taskbar on the Start Screen. When enabled, taskbar is available on the Start Screen. It's also http://tihiy.net/ghosttaskbar.png'>recolored to match Metro color.
Supports auto-hide and secondary taskbars. Hot corners which are overlapped by taskbar on Start Screen behave like configured to behave on desktop.

- "Pin to Start menu" is available in all programs context menus, not just in File Explorer
- Excluded shortcuts for system shortcuts available in right pane from MFU (Run, Control Panel, etc)
- Multiple activations of the same license key is possible on same Windows installation but different hardware (to handle VMWare Fusion / Parallels Desktop)

If you want to downgrade from this release, please uninstall it first.

IMPORTANT
I've received a request from Microsoft to remove start button orbs which contain Windows logo.
This means Version 2.1 release must have all different orbs. I'm looking for a good designer to create a good-looking replacement start button picture.

Awesome! Checking it out now.

Under "C:\Program Files (x86)\StartIsBack\Orbs"....all I see is the square windows orb. Where can we snag the default orb before it's gone forever?

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Donator

Under "C:\Program Files (x86)\StartIsBack\Orbs"....all I see is the square windows orb. Where can we snag the default orb before it's gone forever?

I'll provide it later since it will be very requested. Please let's not make a gazillion of posts about where to get it.

link6155

link6155

• 13 posts

I could design a few orbs for you ;)

ISOHaven

ISOHaven

• PipPip
  • 187 posts

I'll provide it later since it will be very requested. Please let's not make a gazillion of posts about where to get it.

Awesome, thanks!!!

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,985 posts

Donator

cool, thanks for the new version. I'll try it out later.
Posted Image

Max_04

Max_04

Unofficial Service Packs Italian Releaser

• PipPip
  • 278 posts
I'd like to have a new feature like the possibility to replace start screen with "All apps" page.

Would be possible to implement it in the future?
Posted Image

Italian localizer for free (not for bastard sellers on ebay).

Many thanks to MDGx, Tihiy, Petr, Gape, Soporific!

http://www.eng2ita.net

Aloha

Aloha

• PipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
I don't uninstall the old version before installing this one, so it keeps all the old start buttons including the ones with Windows logo. Is this allowed?

I like the option to have the taskbar on the Start screen but when I click on the orb, it returns to the old desktop immediately. Then to me, temporarily, it works just like the desktop tile! It looks cool though when the scrollbar doesn't display above it.

And this version fixes a small problem I had a few days ago. Don't know why it took a little longer than usual to open the Task Manager, around 5 seconds or so. Now it shows right away when I choose to open it.

Thanks for the upgrading.

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Donator

I'd like to have a new feature like the possibility to replace start screen with "All apps" page.

Nope.

I like the option to have the taskbar on the Start screen but when I click on the orb, it returns to the old desktop immediately. Then to me, temporarily, it works just like the desktop tile! It looks cool though when the scrollbar doesn't display above it.

Note that right end on the taskbar brings to desktop (and peeks on it), as well as right-click -> Show Desktop.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,985 posts

Donator

the new option to show taskbar on Metro breaks bigmuscles AeroGlass for me.
Posted Image

Aloha

Aloha

• PipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
Andre,
I don't use AeroGlass so it works fine for me.

Btw, it seems that the usage of memory which I see in the Task Manager is lower than that of the old version. Does anyone notice this or I am just imagining?

Edit: misunderstood what he said!

Edited by Aloha, 23 April 2013 - 09:59 AM.

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Donator

You should check 'Disable taskbar translucency' in SIB properties.

MikeRL

MikeRL

Junior

• Pip
  • 59 posts

Donator

Well, I just found a bug. Try enabling the taskbar on the start screen. Now disable it after looking at the start screen. You will notice that the horizontal scrollbar is raised up a bit from it's normal position. As a workaround, log out and log back in.

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Donator

Well, I just found a bug. Try enabling the taskbar on the start screen. Now disable it after looking at the start screen. You will notice that the horizontal scrollbar is raised up a bit from it's normal position. As a workaround, log out and log back in.

Found and fixed another bug: start menu goes behind taskbar if taskbar is placed on screen side and returning from start screen by Windows key.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,985 posts

Donator

You should check 'Disable taskbar translucency' in SIB properties.

I mean the Aero of the TaskBar :blushing:

Looks like you also use a direct class name and the Aero DLL doesn't know about it. Looks like the same issue like you get when you use Aero with a 2nd Monitor.
Posted Image

santij07

santij07

• 19 posts
In this new version of StartIsBack 2.1 RC1 does not work in safe mode the start menu, the button does not appear. :no:

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

DoubleSAnimations

How to remove advertisement from MSFN