Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Start Is Back - 2.1 release

• Please log in to reply
2056 replies to this topic

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Donator

Buttons for each taskbar is planned in StartIsBack for Windows 8.1 as day one feature, now that we don't have native menu limatations.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Aloha

Aloha

• PipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
Tihiy,
Do I need to uninstall SIB or just disable it before updating W8 to W8.1 preview?

uVSthem

uVSthem
  • 4 posts
Is there anyway to hide the search bar on the test build?

schooby

schooby
  • 6 posts

Buttons for each taskbar is planned in StartIsBack for Windows 8.1 as day one feature, now that we don't have native menu limatations.

Excellent news!

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Donator

No, and not planned. Do you want to get rid of it for functional or skinning purpose?

PandaX

PandaX

Panda X

• Pip
  • 67 posts
Curious, could you check the 8.1 msstyles for StartPanelCompositedBottom::StartPanelPriv and if it exists use the images there?

The class could be added back as class # 279 which would make theming easier than having a secondary msstyles.

As you can see in the status bar here I've added back the class: http://i.cubeupload.com/tDAya6.png

CompUser

CompUser

• 26 posts

Hi MrGrim,
On this page: http://windows.micro...s-8/preview-iso
When I choose English 32-bit (x86), the file I download is named as WindowsBlue-ClientwithApps-32bit-English-X1899604.iso and it is bigger than the update I'm getting through Windows Store. It will take around 4 hours to finish downloading the ISO. I decided to get it in case the update doesn't work fine. Don't know why it's too slowly through the Store, only 6% complete so far.

PS. You seem to be very keen on dark themes!

I started downloading the 64-bit version at work yesterday, and when I left for the day 6.5 hours later, it was still estimating 1.5 hours to go. I just left it running and went home. When I got home, I downloaded both the 32- and 64-bit versions in less than 35 minutes.

Aloha

Aloha

• PipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

When I got home, I downloaded both the 32- and 64-bit versions in less than 35 minutes.

Wow, it's very fast, indeed. I feel as if it wanted me to change my mind and install W8.1 with the iso file instead of updating through the store. I'll be patient and wait for the download to be finished. No matter how long it will take, I don't mind at all.

OK, won't disturb this topic by talking about W8.1 anymore. I promise!!! :lol:

uVSthem

uVSthem
  • 4 posts
I never use it and I feel like it's just wasted space. I guess that would fall under skinning.

No, and not planned. Do you want to get rid of it for functional or skinning purpose?

PsyCrow

PsyCrow
  • 5 posts
Probably bugreport. See image attached.

• StartIsBack 2.1.1
  • Windows Server 2012 x64
I've enabled sleep in Windows' power options, but it's not added to the SiB menu. As you see, "Sleep" appears in configuration dialog, but if you select it there, the "Sign Out" option will be shown instead in main start menu (and it does what it says, sign out). So, the only way to put PC to the sleep mode, is to use Alt-F4 shutdown menu menu, and choose sleep there.

Attached Files

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Donator

Probably bugreport. See image attached.

Check if issue is in test build: https://moot.it/startisback
But I guess it falls down to some setting or policy. Is Sleep available in modern ui shudown?

PsyCrow

PsyCrow
  • 5 posts

Check if issue is in test build: https://moot.it/startisback

Whoa, Sleep is Back! Thanks a lot, test build solves this issue.

But I guess it falls down to some setting or policy. Is Sleep available in modern ui shudown?

No, there is no "Sleep" in modern ui, just "Shutdown" and "Restart"

PandaX

PandaX

Panda X

• Pip
  • 67 posts
Curious, could you modify the start menu where behind the programs list, more programs, and search box can use blur? In 7 and 8 you have to set some ridiculous content margins to the basic open box (part #18) like 0, -200, -2000, -1998 in order for blur to work behind those parts.

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Donator

Curious, could you modify the start menu where behind the programs list, more programs, and search box can use blur? In 7 and 8 you have to set some ridiculous content margins to the basic open box (part #18) like 0, -200, -2000, -1998 in order for blur to work behind those parts.

StartIsBack.Next does not have limitations on blur. Everything renders on blur. I could remove non-rectangular pane limitations as well but that would make holes in standard skin.

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,696 posts

Donator

No, there is no "Sleep" in modern ui, just "Shutdown" and "Restart"

Looking at this thread:
http://social.techne...do-not-know-why
It appears that Server 2012's sleep ability (or clickable option) is dependent on the video driver. :unsure:
MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3.x | lol probloms
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

Leonhart

Leonhart
  • 2 posts
Hi, i found an error in Italian Translation:

Line 125
http://startisback.com/langs/IT-IT.txt

Sentence:

Enable bottom-left screen corner (Start screen)=Abilita angolo in basso a destra (Schermata Start)

left is "sinistra". "Destra" means "right". So it would be --> Abilita angolo in basso a sinistra (Schermata Start)

=)

btw i bought a license but i haven't received the license code yet >_> i sent an email to startisback at gmail dot com but it still not answer :/

Edited by Leonhart, 02 July 2013 - 05:10 AM.

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Donator

Line 125

Sentence:

Enable bottom-left screen corner (Start screen)=Abilita angolo in basso a destra (Schermata Start)

left is "sinistra". "Destra" means "right". So it would be --> Abilita angolo in basso a sinistra (Schermata Start)

=)

btw i bought a license but i haven't received the license code yet >_> i sent an email to startisback at gmail dot com but it still not answer :/

Can you forward me this to support e-mail?

Leonhart

Leonhart
  • 2 posts

Line 125

Sentence:

=)

Can you forward me this to support e-mail?

forwarded :D

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Donator

I've been contacted by Microsoft about StartIsBack 2.1 causing crashes when Windows 8 is updated to Windows 8.1 Preview.
If anyone seen this (on x64), please contact me via support e-mail.

Also, StartIsBack for 8.1 preview alpha version is up https://moot.it/startisback
Not that exciting yet. :rolleyes:

Edited by Tihiy, 02 July 2013 - 02:48 PM.

MrGRiM

MrGRiM

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Donator

I've been contacted by Microsoft about StartIsBack 2.1 causing crashes when Windows 8 is updated to Windows 8.1 Preview.
If anyone seen this (on x64), please contact me via support e-mail.

Also, StartIsBack for 8.1 preview alpha version is up https://moot.it/startisback
Not that exciting yet. :rolleyes:

Pretty good mate, had a little test and noticed a couple of problems, the :search programs and Files" text still doesn't show the first time you click on the start button, well it does but then it disappears a moment later, second time it will stay there though.

The other is if you have a custom theme with the Taskbar height set smaller, the start menu button wont show and even hitting the windows key wont open the start menu so it is completely disabled, the Taskbar height only needs to be altered by 2 pixels to notice this problem, I testing using my Vista8ModernMix theme and the Taskbar Height was set to 29px height which is 11px smaller then default, about the same size as the small icon view in taskbar options, also tested using small icons with the same Taskbar height and it works fine using small icons.

Also tested having the Taskbar show on the Start Screen and it seems to work intermittently, every 2nd time you go to the start screen it will show.

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Donator

It seems that 2.1 is not crashing on 8.1 and it's an erroneus data. I'll notify all users by mail to update to newer StartIsBack version.

The other is if you have a custom theme with the Taskbar height set smaller, the start menu button wont show and even hitting the windows key wont open the start menu so it is completely disabled

That may have something to do with start button not fitting into new taskbar, StartIsBack thinking that start button size changed and thus recreating it all the time. Please check your e-mail also. :rolleyes:

followingsun

followingsun
  • 3 posts
StartIsBack Test7 (for Windows 8.1) has corrupted my explorer.exe
No list of open windows on taskbar, no clock on bottom-right screen. No way to access to the Start/Metro screen.
On Safe Mode, explorer.exe never load or execute.

I tried to do a refresh, it didn't work :/

ace2

ace2

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
Tihiy does StartIsBack.Next overlap the start button (flag) in win8.1 preview or remove it.

If it remove's start button (flag) in Win8.1 Preview can you make a separate program to do this ?

OR

Can you say how to remove start button (flag) in Win8.1 Preview ?

As a lot of people would like to REMOVE the Start Button (Flag). Thanks ace2

Radeon12345

Radeon12345
  • 5 posts
Running a clean install of Windows 8.1 build 9431 in VMware, I'm running test build 9 of Start is Back and everything works ok apart from the Start Menu options is blank.

http://img.photobuck...zps40302e2c.jpg

Have tried completely uninstalling it, rebooting and reinstalling but still has the same issue, apart from that it works great.

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Donator

Running a clean install of Windows 8.1 build 9431 in VMware, I'm running test build 9 of Start is Back and everything works ok apart from the Start Menu options is blank.

http://img.photobuck...zps40302e2c.jpg

Have tried completely uninstalling it, rebooting and reinstalling but still has the same issue, apart from that it works great.

That's expected, test builds are for testing. Beta is expected in a week or two with those essential things restored.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN