Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Start Is Back - 2.1 release

• Please log in to reply
2073 replies to this topic

Soukyuu

Soukyuu

• PipPip
  • 183 posts
A few things:

- The test build10 is nagging me to update to 2.1.1, is that a bug or is it really newer? I'm on 8.1
- When taskbar is on the left/right side of the screen, the start menu overlaps the taskbar. Microsoft never fixed that, can you?
- The power button on the start menu should list the items as follows:
  • Switch User
  • Log Off
  • Lock
  • Restart
  • Sleep
Currently, Sleep and Restart are switched, which kinda kills my muscle memory of pressing win->right->right->enter to send my pc to standby, as I always do on win7.
If you don't want to switch that, may we have an option to configure the order of those entries?

Edited by Soukyuu, 08 July 2013 - 06:43 AM.

AMD Phenom II X4 970BE | 12GB DDR3 | nVidia 260GTX | Windows 8.1u1 x64 Pro | Primary
Intel C2D T7250 | 4GB DDR2 | nVidia 8600m GT | Windows 7 x64 Pro | Secondary

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

gambiit08

gambiit08
  • 1 posts
have been using startisback on windows 8 for a while now, and usually every hour or two of use windows explorer crashes while transferring data, or just navigating the explorer. never happened without startisback, and it's very very annoying. Will this issue be fixed at somepoint? thanks... any help would be greatly appreciated!

L10MESSII

L10MESSII
  • 1 posts
Hi i already told u on Test build 9 but someone removed it. If you can make menu shown in theme (its windows 8 theme obvisiouly) soo it dsn't have too look like same but can u make icons small like this this.Theme creator is using Start 8 Thankyou! and Sorry for my English. :)

Posted Image

m4ck0

m4ck0
  • 2 posts
Hi,

Recent bug i've found is if you have your network list side bar is open on the side (from selecting the network icon in the bottom taskbar), if you move your mouse to the bottom left corner the Windows 8 Start menu still appears, even if it is set to disabled.

blagasamuel

blagasamuel
  • 1 posts
Hi!
Can someone give a download link to the latest test builds?
And there is a windows 8 start menu and start button skin exactly like the one from start8 ?

Edited by blagasamuel, 11 July 2013 - 01:05 PM.

roirraWedorehT

roirraWedorehT

The Keeper of a lot of Useless Knowledge

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
First post at the top of two pages before this one.

Sent from my Sprint (Page Plus) Samsung Galaxy S2 / Epic 4G Touch using Tapatalk on Re-Calked in Jellybean ROM v1.2 Jellybean 4.1.2, Agat63's v1.42F Kernel+CrossBreeder v7.2 and SwiftKey keyboard.

Edited by roirraW "edor" ehT, 11 July 2013 - 08:21 PM.

MikeRL

MikeRL

Junior

• Pip
  • 59 posts

Donator

May fire up a VM or repartition a hard drive when time permits and start testing this, and with the preview version of bigmuscle's Aero Glass, whenever I can nag him for an invitation response (not nag for a yes vote, but just a response, be it yes or no). I'm finicky with my start menu replacements, so I will assist in at least helping you find a pixel-perfect theme and make the final build as pixel-perfect as possible. Now, I'm not an artist, but I can pinpoint minor aesthetic bugs I think should be changed and give constructive feedback. I've seen start menu replacements, and most non-native ones are extremely buggy or looked like crap. Hopefully all the software has matured, especially Startisback. I know native is now impossible (thanks MS!) but that doesn't mean we cannot make this start menu (and button) look as native as possible with Windows 8.1 adjustments. Hoozah! Also on a side note, I really like the new MSFN. Simpler, but more importantly seems to crash less.

Edited by MikeRL, 12 July 2013 - 10:00 AM.

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Donator

>IT'S HAPPENING

http://www.msfn.org/...tisback-beta-1/

MikeRL

MikeRL

Junior

• Pip
  • 59 posts

Donator

Awesome. Anyhow, will the old StartisBack be maintained for a short while (I would love to upgrade to 8.1 as soon as it RTMs, but I am quite happy with 8 and compatibility hell would ensue) for Windows 8 even after 8.1 RTMs? I'm not asking you to update it for ages on end, but I am asking for a half year or so of bugfixes and maybe translations if they're provided. I know you're an independent developer, and as much as I'd love to rush over to 8.1, I am going to wait until most of my programs are at least somewhat compatible (probably just a few months) and then I will upgrade. The choice to continue supporting an old version is yours.

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Donator

Yes, it is the plan. Some minor bugfixes and new translations are pending.

MikeRL

MikeRL

Junior

• Pip
  • 59 posts

Donator

Awesome. So I'm not forced to upgrade again overnight again with this rapid release mess that MS is cooking up. Thanks. Brings some sanity to this new "organized chaos".

Coluwyvurne

Coluwyvurne
  • 8 posts

Hi Tihiy,

Have you ever considered porting StartIsBack to run on Windows RT devices, as per the instructions available on xda-developers.com?

I'm not sure which compiler you used to build StartIsBack, but if the linked instructions don't seem too difficult to do--and you're willing to give it a try--I would be more than happy to make a donation for your efforts as well as to help with the testing.

While such ported desktop applications will only work on jailbroken Windows RT devices, I think the poor Surface RT and Store sales, and the interest that has been generated in developing/recompiling desktop applications for Windows RT may cause Microsoft to reconsider its stance and allow users to run unsigned code at their own risk.

Thanks, and cheers!

markyp

markyp
  • 1 posts

Hi all,

I love this product! Please can you tell me one thing though, I don't like the way Windows combines things in the taskbar, I like them to look old school, I think in one of the startisback versions I managed to do this, but now after going through all the options I can't find it?? Please help!

Thanks

Mark

wingers

wingers
  • 4 posts

@markyp

That has nothing to do with SIB - to change the right click taskbar, choose properties, then on taskbar tab - it can be changed under taskbar buttons - usually set to always combine, hide labels, change it to never combine

chickenlittle

chickenlittle
  • 1 posts

Hello Tihiy,

Could you please ad the feature into current SIB and SIB+?

Please add an arrow button next to the start screen shortcut, when we press that arrow, the list of the metro apps will show on the right panel.

Attached Files

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Donator

Hello Tihiy,

Could you please ad the feature into current SIB and SIB+?

Please add an arrow button next to the start screen shortcut, when we press that arrow, the list of the metro apps will show on the right panel.

Actually, I've considered this for SIB 2.0, but it didn't work out. Jump lists are bit too limited for this task.

It maaay work out for some advanced users, but generally it does not work well.

evanr4

evanr4
  • 1 posts

Hi Tihiy

Bought a license yesterday, have not received my license key. Have emailed you to the startisback gmail address but still don't have a response.

Please can you assist to resolve?

Evan Ressel

cooky560

cooky560
  • 1 posts

I've noticed a strange bug in this release, which happens if you change the Windows appearance at the same time as the start menu appearance while the transparent taskbar is disabled.

This bug forces the taskbar to be grey regardless of the colour Windows is set tol see attached screenshot.

Attached File  screenshot.png   25.19KB   5 downloads

Only way to fix this problem is a restart

Edited by cooky560, 28 July 2013 - 05:54 AM.

GoodEnoughUserName

GoodEnoughUserName
  • 1 posts

Found a nasty bug: With StartIsBack active, Control Panel suddenly has an Add Features to Windows 8 option that thinks your system is not activated AND does not allow you to activate it with the current key (at least with the Win8Pro Upgrade). Problem goes away if you disable StartIsBack for the current account.

haley01

haley01
  • 1 posts

Hey...There are many apps, programs and games are reduces as compared to windows 7. If possible please sort out these issue.

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Donator

Found a nasty bug: With StartIsBack active, Control Panel suddenly has an Add Features to Windows 8 option that thinks your system is not activated AND does not allow you to activate it with the current key (at least with the Win8Pro Upgrade). Problem goes away if you disable StartIsBack for the current account.

I find that hard to believe.

Hey...There are many apps, programs and games are reduces as compared to windows 7. If possible please sort out these issue.

Sorry, what?

maxmaxtorix

maxmaxtorix

Banned

• Banned
  • 7 posts

@Tihiy: Can you produce your StartIsBack in form like a Windows 7 Toolkit Addon how can be possible to be integrated directly to Install.wim as pre-installed software, and trial period will be same as Windows = 30 days?

Here you can check list for addons released till now.

Edited by maxmaxtorix, 08 August 2013 - 05:39 PM.

frostyjack

frostyjack
  • 1 posts

OK just want to press the windows key to return to the desktop not the start menu help please. Thanks

timbuk2

timbuk2
  • 1 posts

Not sure if I'm posting in the right place, it's late and I've been researching software all day for a new arrival tomorrow.  I needed to know if StartIsBack allows adding folders to the main menu, as well as have the Programs menu expand with sub-menus.  Like create a folder in the start menu for Graphics Programs, and expand with a link to all my graphics programs? 

Thanks

Tim

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Donator

Not sure if I'm posting in the right place, it's late and I've been researching software all day for a new arrival tomorrow.  I needed to know if StartIsBack allows adding folders to the main menu, as well as have the Programs menu expand with sub-menus.  Like create a folder in the start menu for Graphics Programs, and expand with a link to all my graphics programs? 

StartIsBack can make All Programs expandable.

You can add custom folders into right side of menu with StartIsBack+ on Windows 8.1.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN