Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Start Is Back - 2.1 release

• Please log in to reply
2073 replies to this topic

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Donator

I understand you want your settings to be restored, but please don't turn this thread into a support case.

Write to support email, with screenshot of the issue if possible.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Aloha

Aloha

• PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

I've uninstalled StartIsBack many times, and I never choose to delete the settings and license data when uninstalling it. Therefore, all the items I added to the Start Menu are always there when I reinstall it or install StartIsBlack Plus.

maikii

maikii

• 11 posts

Re 2026

I thought forums like this were for support, and a question and reply on the forum could help others with similar issues, even in the future.

I managed to get Pin to Start menu back with a tweak app, Ultimate Windows Tweaker (freeware).

As said, the main menu of my start menu (left side) now has one item in it, while there were several before. The one item is Outlook 2013. I do have Office 2013 installed, and use Outlook 2013, but never had it in that start menu. It is in the Office 2013 folder in All Programs, and I also have Outlook in the Quick Launch Menu. No need for it on the main menu left side. But the other items I had there before are all gone.

I could rebuild it from scratch, but it certainly would be much easier, and save precious time, if I could restore it.

Do you still think it would solve the problem by deleting my activation file, reboot, and re-activate?

By the way, Aloha, I have not uninstalled SIB.

---------------------------------------

Edit: I mentioned above that Outlook is now in my main Start Menu left side, although I never put it there. I now realize that is not there as a set item, but as a "Recent Program". Now there are two apps there (as I have set to show two recent programs), but no set items.

If indeed the problem was one of activation (although under Start Menu Properties, About it says "your license is activated", would the Recent Programs still be showing, as well as the full right side of that menu, and the full Programs Menu? Should I still try deleting the activation files and reactivating? Or does it sound like something else now? (Somehow all my set left side main menu items were lost in upgrading to Win 8.1 and SIB+, but are they stored somewhere, in a file or the registry?) (Again though, all else works. The recent programs on the left side works, I can add new items there (I was able to restoe "Pin to Start menu" to Explorer with a third party tweak app), the right side is normal, and the Programs menu is as I set it before.,)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by maikii, 20 October 2013 - 05:07 PM.

s3dbw

s3dbw
  • 1 posts

Is there a way to change the delay setting on the program menu so that the cascading menu opens faster? If not is it something that could be added. Otherwise nice little program that gives me everything I need in the start menu

Thanks

deltajose

deltajose
  • 1 posts

GREUH....Stariback drive me mad...Iwanted try it and TWO times, it make me re install Windows8.1.... :realmad: :realmad:

Please fix the bugs!.... :crazy:

I use startmenu8 and no troules same utility... :thumbup

Edited by deltajose, 23 October 2013 - 03:36 AM.

MrGRiM

MrGRiM

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Donator

GREUH....Stariback drive me mad...Iwanted try it and TWO times, it make me re install Windows8.1.... :realmad: :realmad:

Please fix the bugs!.... :crazy:

I use startmenu8 and no troules same utility... :thumbup

Well considering you didn't actually mention what type of bugs and why on earth you would have to reinstall windows, one must only assume you posted this comment just to Troll Tihiy's awesome work and promote your crappy Startmenu8.

I think the admin may need to give this guy the boot.

Aloha

Aloha

• PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

He is using Win 8.1 so what he wants to try should be StartIsBack Plus, not this version.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,022 posts

Donator

He is using Win 8.1 so what he wants to try should be StartIsBack Plus, not this version.

this is correct, some users really need to read a bit more in detail the description

Posted Image

tiptie

tiptie
  • 2 posts

I love startisback.  I upgraded to 8.1 and therefore upgraded the startisback to the newest version for 8.1.  however, I now have to  pull down a window if I want to turn off unit.  I did not have to do that with older versions.  is there an option that I am not seeing?

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Donator

I love startisback.  I upgraded to 8.1 and therefore upgraded the startisback to the newest version for 8.1.  however, I now have to  pull down a window if I want to turn off unit.  I did not have to do that with older versions.  is there an option that I am not seeing?

This happens on touch screens only. Do you press shutdown button on touch screen?

tiptie

tiptie
  • 2 posts

Yes, I am using touch screen.  There are other programs out there that allow a touch screen shutdown without the "lock screen" popping up.  Can you work on this little annoyance?

I realize that startisback has many other good qualities.  But, reducing the amount of steps to a full shutdown should be one of them.  just like in the old days..... and was also a function in your version for w8

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Donator

Yes, I am using touch screen.  There are other programs out there that allow a touch screen shutdown without the "lock screen" popping up.  Can you work on this little annoyance?

The problem with shutdown button on touch screen is that you can miss small options arrow, so I intended this as enhancement, not as a burden. What if I return shutdown on tap-and-hold?

Cheetashock

Cheetashock
  • 1 posts

I don't know if anyone else has thought of this or posted it but I think there should be a checkmark in the settings to disable and re-enable the start menu. I like to change the way I do things so I switch between start screen and menu. It is a hassle to do that by uninstalling and re-installing the program.

Thanks for listening!

Aaaaa

Aaaaa

• 31 posts

Probably bugreport. See image attached.

Check if issue is in test build: https://moot.it/startisback
But I guess it falls down to some setting or policy. Is Sleep available in modern ui shudown?

Hi, I have the same issue (no sleep button) with build 2.1.2 on Server 2012.
I had a look at that link and I couldn't find the test build

I don't know if anyone else has thought of this or posted it but I think there should be a checkmark in the settings to disable and re-enable the start menu. I like to change the way I do things so I switch between start screen and menu. It is a hassle to do that by uninstalling and re-installing the program.

Thanks for listening!

You can enable the start screen in the "switching" configuration options.

Edited by Aaaaa, 20 November 2013 - 03:53 AM.

ISOHaven

ISOHaven

• PipPip
  • 187 posts

Hey everyone!!!  Been a long time!  I wont bore anyone with the details as to why I disppeared.  How you been Tihiy?

Anywho, came across this error message every time I go to add/remove policy templates:

Resource '$(string.SUPPORTED_Win8Only)' referenced in attribute displayName could not be found.

Line 11, column 89

Looks to be refering to this line:

<definition name="SUPPORTED_Win8Only" displayName="$(string.SUPPORTED_Win8Only)" />

EDIT:

Bleh, never fails!  Always find an answer after posting.  Somehow the ADML file became corrupt.  After fixing it the problem went away.

Edited by ISOHaven, 20 November 2013 - 06:12 PM.

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Donator

Hi, I have the same issue (no sleep button) with build 2.1.2 on Server 2012.
I had a look at that link and I couldn't find the test build

http://startisback.c...k_setupTEST.exe

Hey everyone!!!  Been a long time!  I wont bore anyone with the details as to why I disppeared.  How you been Tihiy?

It would be nice if you got a time machine. You've been missed! :angel

Edited by Tihiy, 21 November 2013 - 03:31 PM.

ISOHaven

ISOHaven

• PipPip
  • 187 posts

It would be nice if you got a time machine. You've been missed! :angel

Thanks!  I've got a ton of catching up to do but as soon as I can I'll load an 8.1 VM and give this a thorough run in my domain environment.

deanone

deanone
  • 1 posts

Would love to put Start Is Back on my Windows 7 install...

Is this a possibility?

There's no question it would improve the existing Start Menu...

nitroshift

nitroshift

Beware of programmers with screwdrivers!

• Super Moderator
  • 2,906 posts

@Tihiy

Thanks for a great program. It IS the reason I'm staying with Windows 8.1. Keep up the good work!

nitroshift

Please read the rules, folks!

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,022 posts

Donator

for 8.1 you need StartIsBack+

Posted Image

roirraWedorehT

roirraWedorehT

The Keeper of a lot of Useless Knowledge

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Happy Turkey Day in advance, Tihiy and everyone!  Been so busy with plans - getting married on Saturday and then honeymoon!

ISOHaven

ISOHaven

• PipPip
  • 187 posts

Happy Turkey Day in advance, Tihiy and everyone!  Been so busy with plans - getting married on Saturday and then honeymoon!

Woot!  Congrats!!!!

Happy Gobble Day!

roirraWedorehT

roirraWedorehT

The Keeper of a lot of Useless Knowledge

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Thanks!  You too!

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Donator

I'm very happy for you guys! Congratulations and best luck!

geneticplasma

geneticplasma

• 21 posts

Maybe it's possible in future releases, to add transparacy-option for windows (not only startmenu & taskbar), too?

Edited by geneticplasma, 29 December 2013 - 03:04 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN