NET 3.5 Offline Installer for Win8

DosProbie

One of my pet peeves with Win8 is making the end user Install .NET framework 3.5 that is needed by a lot of apps. MS calls it a Feature on Demand (FoD).

I wrote a .sfx and added to my setupcomplete but I also did a post install that installs directly off the USB or DVD Install disc. Anyway I am sure this subject has been on here before but if would help anyone I am adding my post install batch file .. DosProbie

Nice. Thanks for doing the work of finding the drive letter. :)

No Problem, Hope it helps..I will tell you that its a heck of lot faster to install off of a USB approx. 45 seconds

vs DVD which takes 5 minutes or longer. :yes:

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you.

Very interesting.

I have Win8 x64 Pro.

I've tried to create a SFX for installing/activating it offline without the source-dvd.

I've extracted and copied the folder sxs from inside the source-folder of the DVD to my location,

created a CMD-File like this:

install.cmd::

@echo off
color 1E
title Microsoft .Net 3.5 Feature-Activation for Windows 8
echo.
echo Microsoft .Net 3.5 Feature-Activation for Windows 8
echo.
Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFx3 /All /Source:%~dp0sxs /LimitAccess

Then i created a RAR-SFX containing the folder sxs and the script.

Building it to extract to Temp-folder and then run install.cmd.

But every time it gives me an error similar like this

"A running 64bit-OS cannot use the 32bit-version of DISM."

What is wrong?

How have you created your SFX?

PS: If i start the cmd-file directly by double-click - it works. Hm, why not with my SFX?

TIA

Huh,

i answer myself.

First I switched from RAR-SFX to 7Zip-SFX.

Then for the x86-version i created a standard-sfx with the usual command

Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFx3 /All /Source:%~dp0sxs /LimitAccess

For the x64-version i do the same, except i used the "7zsd_LZMA_x64.sfx" for creating my SFX.

Finally it's important to create a 64bit-sfx, if you plan to install it offline on 64bit--systems.

so long

Edited by skavenger

I Used Winrar for my sfx , just copied the sources folder to a Net3.5 directory then ran from batch as current directory, I also added NoRestart as well...

@echo off&color a

::run.cmd

:: current directory

cd=%~dp0

::Install-(disable restart)

dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /all /NoRestart /Source:%cd%\sources\sxs /LimitAccess

exit

• 2 weeks later...

Me Test batch File But Not work For Me.

I Used Winrar for my sfx , just copied the sources folder to a Net3.5 directory then ran from batch as current directory, I also added NoRestart as well...

@echo off&color a

::run.cmd

cd=%~dp0

dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /all /NoRestart /Source:%cd%\sources\sxs /LimitAccess

exit

cd=%~dp0

Possibly:

SET cd=%~dp0

will actually give a value to the cd variable. :whistle:

Or, alternatively:

dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /all /NoRestart /Source:%~dp0sources\sxs /LimitAccess

Please note how the expansion of a full path such as %~dpn will result in a "full path" (and full paths always end with a backslash)

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

I copied sxs folders from both Windows 8 discs 32 bit and 64 bit.

So, I have sxs_x64 and sxs_x86 folders (I renamed them) inside a folder called sources. On the same tree level with sources folder I've added the file Install.cmd.

Install.cmd content:

@ECHO OFF
:: Check the operating system type (32 bit or 64 bit)
IF NOT EXIST %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64 GOTO X86
IF EXIST %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64 GOTO X64
:: 32 bit
:X86
:: Install and disable restart
dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /all /NoRestart /Source:"%~dp0sources\sxs_x86" /LimitAccess
:: 64 bit
:X64
:: Install and disable restart
dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /all /NoRestart /Source:"%~dp0sources\sxs_x64" /LimitAccess
:: Exit the script
:END
EXIT

Check the installation integrity with this tool: http://blogs.msdn.co...es/8999004.aspx

Edited by radix

You can activate this feature to be already installed. It same like Add features, just it can be applied directly to image. So no need to add additional files or do a separate install. This is faster and simpler. Just search for Windows Download Integrator which will do this automatically for you. Or you can search for DISM commands.

• 9 months later...

I got a working solution that works on Server 2012 and 2012 R2 so it must work on 8 and 8.1 too.

It comes from old XP times and WPI.

@ECHO OFFset tagfile=\setup.exefor %%i in (c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z) do if exist "%%i:%tagfile%" set CDROM=%%i:ECHO.ECHO.Adding Features to SRV2012R2 WorkstationECHO.dism /online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:ServerMediaFoundation /NoRestartdism /online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:DesktopExperience /all /NoRestartdism /online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:WirelessNetworking /NoRestartdism /online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:WindowsServerBackup /NoRestartdism /online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3 /all /Source:%CDROM%\sources\sxs /LimitAccess /NoRestartdism /online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3ServerFeatures /NoRestartEXIT

Basically the it searches for Setup.exe file from Windows and once found it sets drive letter to CDROM value that you use in script after for NetFx3.

N :)

Edited by nemesis002