NTFS File Lister using $MFT

CharlotteTheHarlot

Btw, doesn't the Everything search product from Voidtools work by directly indexing the NTFS MFT?

Yes it does, and it is fastish :thumbup , but as you already said, it does it by indexing the files and it does not provide the level of details "required" by OP.

Additionally, AFAICR, the "command line" part of it is just a "remote command" for the index (thus, to have "real-time" data, you need to have the GUI running):

C:\Everything>es -h
-r Search the database using a basic POSIX regular expression.
-i Does a case sensitive search.
-w Does a whole word search.
-p Does a full path search.
-h --help Display this help.
-n <num> Limit the amount of results shown to <num>.
-s Sort by full path.

For the record it does exist an "enhanced" version of the es program (rigorously UNtested by me) here:

http://forum.voidtools.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=322

https://sites.google.com/site/xixinxing/programs/nothingforeverything

jaclaz

Everything requires administrator permissions. I don't understand what you mean by last line.

I meant what if you ( as Admin ) changed security on a test file or test folder to "deny" for standard users for READ, LIST, TRAVERSE, etc ( special permissions ), and then logged in as standard user and tried indexing and searching those files/folders.

Not important, but just curious if Everything Search bypassed ACL's. One of the big problems with standard FIND programs ( including Windows Search ) is getting different results depending on what account it is running under.

Although, having the indexer and search engine GUI run elevated might alleviate it to some degree, or perhaps it already runs elevated. I don't know, just spinning my wheels since I never ran that program.

Ah, now I see what you mean. Everything elevates itself, always runs as admin. Even if you set deny permissions to entire Administrators group, Everything finds it. Make sure you use the latest EXE released in the forums: 1.2.1.451a What it can't do is index contents. It can't index network paths either. Its developer was last seen active in their forums in 2011 but forum registrations are disabled so no way to contact him. There is a cmd line as jaclaz mentioned, and also an SDK but there isn't a 64-bit one. :(

Edited by xpclient